Sonance'84's stereo evolution (lots of photos)

Wow, Cory, what an evolution? An all new direction too!
Hope you like it.
Oh, what happened to the Forte? Anyway :music:.

~~~>~

I still have the Fortes and the Scott tube amp...those will probably never leave. You always need an efficient speaker on hand, especially one that sounds as great as the Forte.

This latest system is just my solid-state rig...I'll always have my tube rig on hand though.

Actually, I just hooked up my Scott 299D to the Alon IVs and it sounds incredible. I might just keep it like this for a while. :yes:

This setup served as a great reference point for me and made me realize that sound quality really does get better, the higher up the chain you go. literally thought this would be my 'final' stereo to use for years to come (and pass down)...that is until tubes entered the picture. :para:

This setup is very similar to my own (see my signature). I remember the first time I had everything set up and how awesome it sounded to me. Well worth the investment.

It's been over a year now and I'm still thinking it will be my "forever" system. I've been able to keep the upgrade itch away since then but I'm sure it will come back around sooner or later...

DSC03711-1.jpg

Wow that is a sexy setup. Gorgeous.

It looks like you could derail a train with that surge protector!

Great thread for sure. Now I wish I had kept a pictorial history of the different systems I have worked through over the last several years. Only difference is as I start off in another direction I keep the components just in case I change my mind. They tend to take up quite a bit of workshop space :). +1 on the power conditioning. Use a big 'Monster' filtering power bar to guard against the occasional Mississippi electrical issues when the armadillos attack the local power grid.
-Lee

Your first pictures makes me remember I once had a big aquarium situated between large speakers. When music was playing loud, all the fish horde regrouped itself as tightly as it could in the exact middle of the tank.

Wow that is a sexy setup. Gorgeous.

It looks like you could derail a train with that surge protector!

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a pretty hefty line conditioner and gives a peace of mind about power surges too.

Great thread for sure. Now I wish I had kept a pictorial history of the different systems I have worked through over the last several years. Only difference is as I start off in another direction I keep the components just in case I change my mind. They tend to take up quite a bit of workshop space :). +1 on the power conditioning. Use a big 'Monster' filtering power bar to guard against the occasional Mississippi electrical issues when the armadillos attack the local power grid.
-Lee

Thank you! I really wish I could have kept quite a few of the components that have passed through here, but I have to stay on a budget, which means I can't have money sitting on a shelf unused. The only things I've kept outside of the main system is my Scott 299-D and Klipsch Fortes. They get used upstairs often, but were kept for when I want to bring them downstairs and enjoy tubes.

Your first pictures makes me remember I once had a big aquarium situated between large speakers. When music was playing loud, all the fish horde regrouped itself as tightly as it could in the exact middle of the tank.

I only had 1-2 of each type of fish, most of which were hiders...so I couldn't really tell what they would do different when the music was loud. That's cool you got a reaction with yours.

a vintage classic enters the ring...

I do not have any pictures of this setup, as it only lasted 2 months...it was a pipe dream. :smoke: :D I do have a photo of the lonely amp right before I sold it though. The B&K preamp I used in this setup was borrowed.

I came across the McIntosh MC225 locally, a friend (Rex Everything) owned it, which I couldn't resist. I came up with a trade offer and Rex agreed...I traded the OCM 500 and the Alon IV's straight across for the MC225 in non working condition. I had the power supply replaced and got it working, which it then quickly became the best tube amp I've had the opportunity to hear so far, no joke, and I've heard quite a few nice specimen. Keep in mind this is with the stock signal caps and resistors!

I wish I could have kept it, but this just wasn't the time for me to own an MC225. At least I can still visit and listen to it. :yes:

System 6 (Feb '12 - Apr '12):

- McIntosh MC225 power amp
- B&K Pro-10MC Sonata preamp
- Marantz SA8003 (SACDP)
- Denon DP-3000 (motor) / Acos Lustre GST 1 (arm) w/ Shure M97xE
- Klipsch Fortes w/ Bob Crites crossovers & Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Kimber Kable 8VS & Hero
- Furman PST-8 line conditioner
- Lovan isolation rack

SANY0056-1.jpg

Last edited:
back to the budget...

Well, what can I say...I started this system on a budget, got kinda out of control with upgrading and now I'm back on a budget. I did have fun trying different components, but on my budget, a Scott integrated tube amp and updated Klipsch Fortes really hit the spot. After all, it was a Scott integrated that switched me from a solid-state McIntosh setup to tubes in just a few listening sessions. :yes:

So, this current setup came about in an odd way...one which I kick myself for every once in a while. :twak: I thought I could afford making the trade for the McIntosh MC225...knowing I would need to sell my NOSValves restored Scott 299-D in near mint condition to justify it. I just couldn't keep the Scott and the MC225, while also needing to fund a nice preamp to use with the Mac. So, I sold the Scott 299-D thinking I would be in the clear, money wise. Soon after I sold the Scott, I ended up coming into money issues and needed to then sell the MC225. What a bummer...now I was going to be out my 299-D and MC225, with only an 80's Yamaha M-60 and Ipod to use instead!

After putting the amp up for sale, I started thinking of trades again, because I didn't need the full amount of the MC225 in cash to stay afloat. I then came up with an idea to trade the MC225 back to Rex Everything for a partial trade of cash + a restored Scott 222-C. He chose to take me up on this offer and we both ended up happy campers :beerchug: ....and now Rex has the coolest s**t in town, lol!

This Scott 222-C has been fully restored by someone who obviously cared about the amp. The only thing I wish it had was the individual bias test points like my NOSValves 299-D. Alas, I'm content with my current stereo setup and won't be going on any buying spree's anytime soon, I'm just gonna stick with what I got. :D

P.S. I refinished the Denon TT since the last round of photos, check it out. I made the oak darker so it kind of matches the speakers.

System 7 (Apr '12 - Aug '12):

- H.H. Scott 222-C (rebuilt)
- Marantz SA8003 (SACDP)
- Denon DP-3000 (motor) / Acos Lustre GST 1 (arm) w/ Shure M97xE
- Klipsch Fortes w/ Bob Crites crossovers & Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Kimber Kable 8VS & Hero
- Furman PST-8 line conditioner
- Audio-Technica AT-605 isolation feet
- Lovan isolation rack

SANY00602-1.jpg

SANY00532-1.jpg

SANY0058-1.jpg

SANY00562-1.jpg

SANY00593-1.jpg

Last edited:
very cool brother. gotta love that plinth on the denon. for the coolest of cool wire organization, rat shack has sticky clips that have a loop you zip tie a set of wires to and the tape to a leg or post of audio rack. i likes mine and they help me with the inevitable rats nest.

Back
Top Bottom