Sonneteer Campion

Hi Art. We have very similar tastes. I’m thinking the Sonneteers are very sensitive to dirty power. The AQ Niagara and better power cables made fhe Campion an entirely different amp. Well already sold the Campion.

Picked up an Audio Reseach VSI-60 cheap and was at first very impressed. While Jazz is sublime, I put on a rock album I love, Devine Fits. It just doesn’t rock. Grip of the bass not there. Soul of the music missing and the symbal hits just sound bloated and mushy. Switch to the NAC-72(Avondale 821A/NJ322)/HC/NAP-180 and it rocks. Tube like highs, best of everything. Think between cards and all this expensive power conditioning and power cords, It made all the difference and I’m set for life. Finally. I wanted it to kick just a little more and hooked the REL subs back up sourced from the HC via a chord cobra vee 4 pin DIN to XLR/XLR/RCA adapter/chord chorus reference ic. Don’t Laugh. Not feeling like splicing the neutrik wires on to the NACA 5.

God I don’t blame you one bit on not wanting to solder anything on those blasted stiff cables, and I don’t typically mind soldering anything! While I think NACA5 is a good sounding cable and has its place in various setups, it drove me crazy with how unwieldy the stuff was! And back in the day when I ran a complete active Naim/SBL system, it was just too crazy. Hated the stuff, ended up using Linn’s K20 cabling in the end, just easier to deal with, and quite frankly, I don’t think I could hear much of a difference in it either.

Hello Art, just out of curiosity was there or do you know of a fix for the Sonneteer Campion hum problem? I still have mine but don't listen to it anymore. Anyway just thought I'd ask. take care and enjoy your day!

No, I don't think there is. I tried everything including dedicated mains. Great amps but they do make a bit of noise. I'm happily listening to a Belles Aria these days. Great sound with a fabulous phono stage and headphone amp.

Although the last post is from 2019 I hope to still get some advice from you. I have recently purchased a Sonneteer Campion and am really pleased with the sound quality. However my speakers are too power hungry it seems. I have a Tribute DAC that is fed by a Squeezebox Touch. If I use the Tidal app the output is too low. With local files output is quite OK. My speakers are IMF TLS80 mk2 which according to the brochure is rated at 98 dB at 1 meter for 40 Watts.
I am so happy with the sound quality that I am afraid to add a power amp to my system. Any advice is welcome.

I have a Tribute DAC that is fed by a Squeezebox Touch. If I use the Tidal app the output is too low. With local files output is quite OK.

If using the CD input switch to another, use DIR (for higher sound quality) and Tp or L1.

Fine amplifier, but 30 odd watts with 80dB 1w/1m? (are they really that low???) speakers would not be the first choice for most people. "Driving power requirements" (a spec best to ignore) is 40 to 80 according to IMF, so not too far off at 33 (44w/6ohms).

I bet it would sound lovely with my Cornwalls, they play nice with 1 watt. :)
Had an Alabaster some time ago. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Although the last post is from 2019 I hope to still get some advice from you. I have recently purchased a Sonneteer Campion and am really pleased with the sound quality. However my speakers are too power hungry it seems. I have a Tribute DAC that is fed by a Squeezebox Touch. If I use the Tidal app the output is too low. With local files output is quite OK. My speakers are IMF TLS80 mk2 which according to the brochure is rated at 98 dB at 1 meter for 40 Watts.
I am so happy with the sound quality that I am afraid to add a power amp to my system. Any advice is welcome.
…and don’t forget that you can really lean on the volume control with a Sonneteer amp. They are designed to have usable gain all the way through. Unlike so many amps that are juiced at 8:00 or 9:00 o’clock.

Back
Top Bottom