Sonus Faber Venere 1.5

Ultimately I preferred the 1.5s tweeter. and the front ported feature. I'm in the process of discovering what I like and want from a speaker. I'm a relative novice to this hobby and I've only owned a few really good speakers. However, early on i got caught up in the hype of new products and purchased them either blindly or on the advice of people more experienced than I. I replaced a pair of Excite X12's with the KEFs, but I didn't do a real comparison. The hype and fact that the LS50s are a great speaker weighed heavy in my decision. The LS50's were the first non silk dome tweeter speaker I've heard or owned. I was blown away by the clarity and it's ability to reproduce Jazz music. I've owned them better than a year now and was content with them. As I was with the X12s actually. But, I want to experience different equipment and decided to try a pair of the well reviewed 1.5's. I've done more comparison of the two than I did the LS50's and X12s.

There is much to like about the LS50's and I could live with them and be happy. It's just that theI 1.5's reproduce Jazz equally well and classical better than the LS50s. I prefer the tonality of the 1.5's (sound more organic) in my system and agree that the LS50 can be a little sharp to my ears at times. I really became of aware of this once the 1.5's were in my system. Prior to the comparison I was aware of the sharpness but I had a habit of turning the music down with certain songs. This was really apparent while listening to Adele's new CD and in particular the song Hello. I'm listening to jazz music right now and the sax sounds wonderfully organic and pleasing to me ears.

The 1.5 boxes disappear with the music. The sound staging is spot on, and the timbre is pleasing. Listening to the music is a more enveloping and involving experience. I found myself missing them when they were out of my system and didn't feel this way about the LS50s, so that made a difficult decision easier. Speaker preference is a subjective process. I'm sure I will continue to experiment with different equipment, so nothing is here to stay. But right now I believe I have an overall system that I can enjoy and is born out of a true process of finding the sound I like.

A poster asked why everyone was buying the 1.5s and not the 2.0s. I would've liked to hear the 2.0s but ultimately didn't want to spend the additional dollars.
Nicely said.
I keep forgetting to mention this but for me to love the LS50s they needed tube amplification. The high resolution remains but the edges are rounder. It's as if they were made for tube amps- they seem to be "pre-voiced" so that tube amps make them sound natural.

The best sound I ever heard coming out of the 1.5's was with tubes. At the time, my setup consisted of an Audio Research SP-16 and Primaluna Prologue 7 Monoblocks.

Art K, I've been following a few of your threads. I'm in a position right now where I can buy some Dynaudio X12's or the Venere 1.5's for $200 more. I know you've owned both, so compared to the Dyn's, what do you like better about the Veneres?

I listen mainly to jazz, folk, soft rock. Most of my listening is at lower volumes. I never crank my volume high. I like a relaxed sound. I really enjoy a 3D soundstage and when speakers 'disappear.' My amp is a Peachtree Decco65, but might be buying a SImaudio 250i in the near future as well. My source is a Bryston BDP-1.

I can't decide between the Dyn's and the Venere's....First world problems lol

I previously owned Harbeth P3ESR's and so far they were my favourite speakers. The timbre and the realism of instruments was top notch. Right now I have Dali Zensor 5's. I find them a bit too laid back, and low volume listening not as good as the Harbeth's. Still, a very pleasing speaker.

From the late Robert Reina's review of the Venere 1.5.

"The Dynaudio Excite X12 has a detailed, airy midrange that was very close to the Sonus Faber's, as well as delicate, detailed highs. However, I felt that while the highs were more extended through the X12s, the Veneres' lower highs were more detailed, articulate, clean, and natural. The Dynaudio's midbass was warmer and not as clean as the Sonus Faber's, and while the X12's transients were very good, they weren't in quite the same league as the Venere's."

I agree with Robert's assessment and would add that the 1.5's bass is more delicate and detailed while being as extended. About all I can say at present as I am at work and after 10 wks off (surgery) quite busy.

What are you guys driving your 1.5s with? I recently hooked them up to a 300 wpc amp I got from Classdaudio and wow they really woke up. Way more detailed and dynamic than when I drove them with my Nad D3020.

What are you guys driving your 1.5s with? I recently hooked them up to a 300 wpc amp I got from Classdaudio and wow they really woke up. Way more detailed and dynamic than when I drove them with my Nad D3020.

I think that most people tend to turn the volume up more when they get a "new high power" amp, which will usually make speakers sound more detailed and dynamic. Plus you were using a 30w amp with 82.5 dB speakers.

I'm a complete newbie to hi fi matters, and I don't mean to divert this thread, but I feel like I could learn a lot from the people on here. I've heard the Venere 1.5 a couple of times, and I really liked them. I heard them side by side with the LS50 and preferred the 1.5 for (what seemed to me) their flowing, natural sound. But I feel that I haven't heard enough speakers to commit yet (or is that the way madness lies?). So my question is, if I like the (to my ears) flowing, natural sound of the Venere, what else should I listen to? The Nola Boxers (which I gather may have a bigger soundstage)? Dynaudio? Anything else? I listen almost only to classical music; I thought the 1.5 did great on pretty much everything except maybe big orchestral sound (which was beautiful but maybe not very precise).

Two subsidiary questions:
1) Am I right that if I like the sound of the Venere, I should stick to speakers that don't have metal tweeters, or is that simplifying things too much?
2) Should I worry at all about going with a small, relatively unknown company such as Nola vs a bigger company such as SF? I'm thinking of resale value if I want to upgrade in a few years (sorry if that's a philistine concern).

I'm a complete newbie to hi fi matters, and I don't mean to divert this thread, but I feel like I could learn a lot from the people on here. I've heard the Venere 1.5 a couple of times, and I really liked them. I heard them side by side with the LS50 and preferred the 1.5 for (what seemed to me) their flowing, natural sound. But I feel that I haven't heard enough speakers to commit yet (or is that the way madness lies?). So my question is, if I like the (to my ears) flowing, natural sound of the Venere, what else should I listen to? The Nola Boxers (which I gather may have a bigger soundstage)? Dynaudio? Anything else? I listen almost only to classical music; I thought the 1.5 did great on pretty much everything except maybe big orchestral sound (which was beautiful but maybe not very precise).

Two subsidiary questions:
1) Am I right that if I like the sound of the Venere, I should stick to speakers that don't have metal tweeters, or is that simplifying things too much?
2) Should I worry at all about going with a small, relatively unknown company such as Nola vs a bigger company such as SF? I'm thinking of resale value if I want to upgrade in a few years (sorry if that's a philistine concern).

Welcome! From the sound of things, you're already a goner! You might want to clarify whether the speakers you mentioned represent the top of your price range or whether you're open to more expensive speakers. (And I don't mean to imply in any way that speakers in that price range are some kind of compromise.)

Being a fellow classical listener, I would recommend that, if possible, you listen to Harbeth, Spendor, Vienna Acoustics, Aerial and Magneplanar, if you're able to find dealers. All have models roughly in the price range of the speakers you've mentioned—and much higher, of course, for when you discover you can no longer resist the upgrade bug. :)

My advice would be to totally ignore the materials that drivers are made of. I have heard plenty of metal domes that sound like silk, and silk domes that sound like metal.

While Nola is a small company, the founder has been in the industry for years and years (his former speakers were called Alon [spell it backwards!] by Acarian Systems). It's a highly respected outfit, and I would expect their speakers would have a decent resale value. Because whether you know it or not, you are about to become quite interested in resale value! Good luck and keep us posted.
-Bob

I'm using a Brio-R to drive mine. I still own (they are up for sale) a pair of LS50s and I owned a pair of Nola Mini's. I like the 1.5's but I also really enjoyed Nola Mini's and in restrospect I should have kept them and saved the money I spent on the other two pairs. I did what you are doing LP-X. I replaced the Mini's (forerunner of the Boxers) with Dynaudio X12s, which I replaced with the LS50's, which I'm now replacing with the 1.5s. I didn't know what I didn't know as I was learning what I liked in a speaker. Now that I know, I should've stayed with the Minis because they were a third the cost of the LS50s and 1.5's. That said, i really enjoy the 1.5's and prefer them to the LS50's, which Ive listened to for about 18 months. Audio is an adventure and I've enjoyed it but I think I've reached the end of buying for some time. I'm satisfied with the what I have. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to listen to the Nola Boxers today. At first I was very impressed, as they seemed to me significantly fuller than the Venere; I didn't hear them side by side, unfortunately, but I suspect that the Boxers could go much, much louder. On the other hand, I didn't find the instruments as lifelike as with the Venere, and after a while I worried that I was moving away from what I'm really looking for (which is mostly excellent rendition of classical music at moderate volumes).

Following Bob's helpful suggestions, I then hunted down some Spendors. What gorgeous instrumental tones! I heard them side by side with the Dynaudio Excite, which really could not keep up on that front. On the other hand, when it came to displaying a full orchestral sound, the Spendors seemed to me less convincing than the Venere (again, not side by side, but I had given the Venere another listen just an hour before).

So I came out thinking that the Venere probably strike a good balance for my tastes and budget: absolutely beautiful rendition of piano, cello, and voice, and quite good rendition of orchestra. The one speaker I have heard that I clearly preferred was the tiny Harbeth everyone talks about. I have to admit it's really something, but unfortunately it's way beyond my budget.

Yes, classical music sounded better to me through the Veneres than the LS50s. That's another reason I choose them over the KEFs.

Another option you might like is Reynaud if you can find a dealer close. They are in a similar ballpark as Spendor and Harbeth. The US distributor is Bob Neill, from Positive Feedback magazine. He was a devoted Spendor and Harbeth fan until he reviewed the Reynauds for Soundstage. Several years later he became the distributor. The Bliss would be in your price range.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to listen to the Nola Boxers today. At first I was very impressed, as they seemed to me significantly fuller than the Venere; I didn't hear them side by side, unfortunately, but I suspect that the Boxers could go much, much louder. On the other hand, I didn't find the instruments as lifelike as with the Venere, and after a while I worried that I was moving away from what I'm really looking for (which is mostly excellent rendition of classical music at moderate volumes).

That was the problem I had with the Boxers. They were unconvincing relative to the organic sounds of instruments. Big sounding for sure, but that is not enough.

That was the problem I had with the Boxers. They were unconvincing relative to the organic sounds of instruments. Big sounding for sure, but that is not enough.

Post deleted, answer was further back in thread...was asking Art if I remembered correctly if the timbre of the LS50's (or lack thereof) is why he moved away from them.

And that is your opinion. Having owned four different pair, I have a pretty good idea what they sound like as opposed to a brief listen at Bob's store with gear you have probably never heard before either. As to their country of origin don't see how that matters at all other than an argument point. Also they sound nothing like Focal and I have heard them too. Apparently the phrase "similar ballpark" doesn't register with you, at no point did I say they were the same.

Reynaud is one brand I have never read a bad word about. I have only heard older models and not long enough to form an opinion. They certainly are loved by owners and critics alike.

Art, unfortunately Bob doesn't have that many dealers so they are kind of hard to hear without a "leap of faith." Though sometimes they vary the naming some, most of their models are just continued refinements of models that have been around for years. Much like Alan does at Harbeth. The Bliss started out as the Twin almost 15 years ago and the large "studio monitor" the Offrande is on it's 7th revision. Several of the other models too have been around over a decade. Really worth a listen if you get a chance.

It's awfully tough to buy a speaker completely unheard. You kind of what to have some idea of what you're getting. But Bob is a good forum poster and wrote excellent reviews - who knows you may be able to get a home demo for free. One of the lines he carries is also carried in California and the California dealer was giving out all the lines he was selling (and still is) for free home trials in that state. I should think a number of dealers would offer home trials - if you pick up the shipping. http://www.amherstaudio.com/

I think the biggest problem when folks are going through speaker after speaker after speaker with 4-6 inch woofers is a limitation largely of the speakers trying to fight against physics. Even the speakers that I think are good in this design are ONLY good against other speakers of this design - they never really rise to the level of lift the veil off the mask of exceptional sound. Every "good" maker makes bigger speakers which are almost always much better speakers - even in medium rooms. It's not that any of them are remotely perfect either - but they almost always limit their lower smaller speakers' weaknesses and greatly improve their strengths.

And by Pasta-Monster in the sky - when you finally do find a sound that sounds right to you - for the love of Pete hold on to it.

Back
Top Bottom