Sonus Faber Venere 1.5

Nope - just seeing you going through buckets of speakers - if any of them were good they'd last several years - which either means the speakers are suffering from early compression trying to fill a room too large or the equipment isn't up to the job. There are plenty of bigger speakers that are not too big but that will have the dynamic ease and frequency extension and have more tonality - a problem with the Kef LS-50 - and as a dealer in Hong Kong noted (no he doesn't sell the brand you mention) noted that the 8 inch is ideal for such rooms modestly sized rooms - dynamic ease coupled with bass definition leads to better tonality. Reference 3a MM De Capo, ATCs, Legacy Audio HD-1 and Line Magnetic, Harbeth Super HL5 make speakers with an 8 (although I find the treble somewhat annoying on longer sessions but perhaps that can be ameliorated somehow). Perhaps because you know the dealer and are an established customer you might be able to look to getting an LM speaker with less of the steep mark-ups.

PS I know who I am posting to so don't worry I will never recommend certain brand(s) to certain people.

Nope - just seeing you going through buckets of speakers - if any of them were good they'd last several years

Wrong answer. I have enjoyed a number of speakers because that is part of the fun in this hobby for me. I enjoy tasting different brands.

Last edited:
Let me add that I will not be looking for deals on LM products. I am happy to pay for having great service from a quality dealer. At this time, having to pay for a spinal surgery has taken priority over audio...go figure.

Back to the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5.

Just for reference relative to an earlier post. The small speakers I have been going through have been used primarily in a 9x10x8 ft room.

Isn't Obama Care supposed to be covering these operations? I thought the US joined the rest of the industrialized world on medical care? Anyway hope it works for you. SF never fatigues...I'll give them that.

I don't have to pay for the whole surgery and there are other costs associated with being off work for 3 mos. Oh and it's the ACA not Obamacare. I won't get political here but let's just say that many folks with great health care saw our health care go downhill while others with none now have some form of care. Personally, I hate the ACA. We should have done universal health care right, or not at all.

Had a chance today to listen to the entire Sonus Faber Venere line, in two different rooms. One large room , one on the small to moderate side. Using 4 of my favorite demo CDs for music. Also to compare them to multiple other speakers, including a LSA-1 Signature, B&W CM6 S2, B&W CM8 S2, and a Sonus Faber Chameleon T. Front end was an Oppo 103 with Rotel RA1570 integrated amp in one room, NAD CD player with a TOTL Marantz integrated in the other room.

To keep things short, the Venere line impressed me. In terms of presenting an open soundstage, with nicely defined and separated instruments and voices, I preferred all four Veneres over the other 4 speakers. Voices were more accurate and natural. I've listened to some of these tracks on $20,000 To $50,000 speakers and feel I have a pretty good perception of how the vocals are supposed to sound. Vocals were a bit deeper and chestier on the B&Ws, in a way that did not sound correct to me.

Bass notes were more well defined through the Veneres than the LSA or SF Chameleon. Singers were centered and flanked by musicians, with instrument notes remaining clear during more complex passages. I was more drawn into the music by all of the Veneres than I was from any of the other four speakers. The CM8 S2 had several good qualities, well defined highs, good imaging, decent bass extension without too much mid bass overemphasis, but to me they just didn't get the vocals quite right and I didn't enjoy listening to them. Although I would rank the CM8 over the SF Chameleon T, which didn't sound like a Sonus Faber at all to me. Sounded more like a speaker voiced for rock & hip hop with more of thudding, less defined mid-bass.

Within the Venere line, I found the overall sound quality improved as one went up the line. Yes, this is to be expected, but it isn't always true. The 1.5 was quite good for its price with good detail without being aggressive, natural sounding vocals, good imaging. Really nice for a small, moderately priced monitor. There was a noticeable mid-bass hump which imparted a rounded, warm overall balance, with a pretty steep deep bass falloff after that. The deepest notes on my demo tracks simply weren't there. Tracks with a lot of mid-bass energy were a bit over the top for my tastes. I can understand them making this tradeoff in order for the speaker to not sound too lean with the bottom octaves missing.

The 2.0 sounded much the same, but with a bit more dynamic impact, a bit less mid-bass emphasis, and a bit more deeper bass extension and definition. Stringed bass notes were much improved over the 1.5. Lower piano notes had more weight and definition.

The 2.5 small tower was another step up. Very clean presentation, very wide & natural soundstage, even less mid-bass emphasis and a deeper, cleaner lower bass. This speaker was a joy to listen too. I've heard several speakers selling for $5000+ which didn't play my demos as well. The 1.5 is very good for its price and the 2.5 sells for twice as much. In my opinion paying the extra amount is worth it. A true taste of high end audio. I could run these without a subwoofer and be quite satisfied with the bass.

The 3.0 was even better, perhaps not as great of a step up from the 2.5 as the 2.5 was from the 2.0. More of the Venere clean, open sound with well defined deep bass. Great soundstage and placement. Could play pretty loud without breaking up. More efficient than the 1.5 by about 3dB. I think these would sound very good with a moderate powered triode tube amp.

Color me impressed by the Venere line.

THAT! Is a great, helpful review, Tom. And I'm not even in the market for any speakers. Props to you.

- Woody

Thanks. I should add that while I have liked earlier Sonus Faber speakers, I've never owned one and went into today's evaluations with no expectations towards liking or disliking the Venere line.

I would take the 1.5 or the 3.0. You can have the others. I think you lose a great deal of the goodie in the 2.0. The 2.5 is just not my cup...the 3.0 is a beast. Glad you enjoyed them.

I can understand someone preferring the 1.5 or 3.0, as they employ the same midrange driver, and it is a good one. I did do a direct A/B of the 1.5 vs the 2.5, in the same room, using the same songs, with them being side by side with me slightly shifting to be at the same listening position upon each switch. Admittedly not a long, in home comparison. To my ears, I preferred the presentation from the 2.5 finding it to cast a much bigger stage with more air around the instruments and a cleaner, deeper low end. Very engaging.

The Stereophile review of the 2.5 was exceptional. Experienced reviewer Kal Rubinson wrote, "I loved the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5s. They sounded great with every recording I threw at them, and performed well with every system configuration I could manage. They were an ear-opening experience, and their intelligibility and balance made it brutally clear that I need to step up the quality of my Connecticut-system speakers to fully appreciate modern high-resolution audio. "

I spent more time with the 2.5 than the 3.0, even though the 3.0 is the better speaker, due to one of the dealers offering me a great deal on his demo 2.5s. Tempting. This would be for my #2 system and using a tube amp. Which would give me a system with a different sonic signature from my #1 system. Not sure anything is ever going to supplant my upgraded Von Schweikerts in my main system, they have been there for 20 years now. Not too long ago, I auditioned the Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers as a possible replacement, and while I loved them, I still prefer my VSs.

The midrange is where the magic is for me. Imaging is also better with the 1.5 than the 2.0 and 2.5 to my ears. Certainly you get genuinely deeper bass and a bigger sound from the 2.5 and that is attractive to some but for me it doesn't make up for what's lost. In the end I think that the folks at Sonus Faber did a wonderful job with these speakers. Each model in the Venere line is competitive with the best that is out there for the price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Tom. I'd be tempted to to try these in my second system, also tube. Right now I'm running Focal 807Ws.

This thread made me buy a pair of Venere 1.5 may be I will upgrade the stands when I'm decided where to use them.

My 11th day with 1.5 and I like them a lot.

The midrange is where the magic is for me. Imaging is also better with the 1.5 than the 2.0 and 2.5 to my ears. Certainly you get genuinely deeper bass and a bigger sound from the 2.5 and that is attractive to some but for me it doesn't make up for what's lost. In the end I think that the folks at Sonus Faber did a wonderful job with these speakers. Each model in the Venere line is competitive with the best that is out there for the price.
I see you generally preferring 5 driver speakers, while they have a magic midrange, larger drivers need a lot of power to start singing, maybe the Brio R is not suited for them..

The Brio-R isn't the only amp I have ever owned. Not to mention I think that your statement is untrue. How much power does it take to get the 10 inch driver in the DeVore 0/96 singing? What was it that Nelson Pass said about that first watt....

The Brio-R isn't the only amp I have ever owned. Not to mention I think that your statement is untrue. How much power does it take to get the 10 inch driver in the DeVore 0/96 singing? What was it that Nelson Pass said about that first watt....
It's not about to get loud, even a T amp can get ear bleeding volume, these speakers drop impedance from their nominal to 4 or 2 ohm, a lightweight amplifier cannot get the current fast enough..

Sir, I prefer what I prefer. I have no idea what you are talking about relative to loud as I never said anything about volume. As far as preferring 5 inch drivers...that is only with some speakers. I prefer my Compact 7's to my Sonus Faber speakers...I think you are confused.

Okay
Sir, I prefer what I prefer. I have no idea what you are talking about relative to loud as I never said anything about volume. As far as preferring 5 inch drivers...that is only with some speakers. I prefer my Compact 7's to my Sonus Faber speakers...I think you are confused.

I know this is an old thread and many of you have maybe moved on from the 1.5's, but I'm just wondering what amps people used with them and what seemed to have the best synergy. These speakers are definitely warm, maybe even a bit dark and low sensitivity, seems they would be good with a strong, 'clinical' sounding amp maybe?
Thanks for any suggestions, thoughts, tips etc

Back
Top Bottom