Sony Bond what does it look like?Thir

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a 1986 Kenwood TS-440S-AT transceiver. This model Kenwood used Sony Bond to “pot” TXCO #5 to prevent microphonics. But not all of them used it. This same goo was used on Sansui, Kenwood, and Yamaha audio gear with the same results.
This formulation of Sony Bond absorded moisture and became mildly conductive if this goop happened to be gloobed onto transistors it shorted them out. The fix is to clean it out. On my Kenwood this problem is manifested by TXCO #5 becoming unlocked and the radio’s digital frequency disappears. My rig is potted but I don’t know what this type of Sony Bond looks like. It has never had this problem. A Below is a detailed picture of TXCO #5, note the brownish goo, can anyone tell me if this Sony Bond?

5141F027-1D12-4102-B79A-76397F72DBE3.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks way more clear than any Sony glue that I've seen. Even on units where the glue hasn't gone sentient and tried to eat the legs off of components it's always a solid milk chocolate brown.

That might explain why this radio has not had the problem. I don't know if the radio has ever been serviced for this problem. I can sure hope because the TS-440S is an exceptional radio which except for the Sony Bond problem is a real winner. A great radio for a new ham radio operator to start out with. The TS-450S it's replacement is even better.

P1170033Large.jpg

I have learned elsewhere you look for corrosion which tells you when the goo has started in pickup moisture. The way to remove it without harm is 3M Adhesive Remover.

download.jpg

Last edited:
You sure that it isn't a waxy substance? I've seen that on some old portable radios where they have a brownish orange wax poured over certain components.

Back
Top Bottom