Sony CDP-302 cd drive lockdown

Yodathedog

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i just finished refurbishing a very clean CDP-302 and everything was going so well on the bench. All functions and lights were just humming along. The tray door was opening and closing just like it should. A cd was happily playing, showing its progress on the fully functional display.

Then I took it to the music room to listen to it. Somewhere between the 2 rooms something horrible happened. I hooked it up to the amp and plugged it in and turned it on...and nothing happened. The little light behind the power switch glowed showing it was most certainly on...but nothing else. Suddenly the transport was locked down. I did notice that when it was working correctly the display said 0 and the disc light would flash for a few seconds then stop. After it locked the display counted from 1-12 or 1-14. No tray out. No tray in. No play. It wouldn't budge. I have no idea what happened. The transport lock was open. I searched and couldn't find any threads on this problem, so I'm asking here. Has anyone had this problem and possibly know what's causing it and maybe how to fix it?

Last edited:
Been fighting the BU-1C transport in my CDP-502ESII for ages. Worth the effort. Replacement belts from ebay are not that good and eventually slip. Also, make sure the tray rails are lubed. Sometimes dry bearings stick making the belt problem even worse.

As mentioned, the rails may need cleaning and lubed. I've used singer sewing machine oil on the 302 I had, and it solved this problem.

I’ve already done all that except changing the belts. They are in good shape and weren’t slipping. The transport is locked in place. Everything was working as it should. The tray opened and closed properly. I cleaned and lubed the laser rails and cleaned both sides of the tray transport and lubed the rail. It was very smooth. On the bench everything was fine. The drive was working properly. All cd functions were working including all the lights. I took it to another room to test it with an amp and speakers. All it would do at this point is run the counter from 1-14, then nothing. Not one button works except the on/off switch. I have no electrical or soldering skills, so I guess I’ll have to put it away for awhile till I come across someone locally with some skills.

At least the same refurbish on the CDP-102 was successful. I’m very happy about that. I even have a working original remote.

IIRC, the connectors are modular so check that they are all firmly seated. With power off, the block should move freely. If it does not, check for mechanical obstruction. Sadly, I just tossed a poor cosmetic condition 302 that donated the transport assembly to my 502ESII. It would have been yours for the cost of shipping.

Playback. The transport lock on the bottom is unlocked, but only locks the laser slider anyway. It has no affect on the tray.

Back
Top Bottom