Sony CDP302ES Digital Out & DAC mods

cizeta

I am a Sony engineer and I have a CDP302ES since 1986 (30 years old). By technical I had access to confidential technical publications of Sony and I have replaced, over the years, the chip CX23035 (signal processor) with the most modern CXD1125Q, (pin to pin perfectly compatible), which is equipped with digital output (pin 27- DOTX) and plugged two PCM56P-K instead of the CX20152 DAC, being unique for the two channels (UNI linear converter), working alternately causes a technically annoying delay of approximately 5.67 microseconds between the left channel and the right channel, eliminated by the two DACs separated. Its operation is still impeccable and the sound is at the highest levels of quality. Tried instrumentally far it exceeds the linearity and intermodulation distortion (CBS CD-1 TEST DISC track 13) of the current bitstream readers. The sound of PCM56P is recognized as excellent.

Last edited:
2016-11-25 00.47.05.jpg 2016-11-25 00.48.00.jpg 2016-11-25 00.51.17.jpg 2016-11-25 01.54.02.jpg 2016-11-25 01.33.02.jpg 2016-11-25 00.49.24.jpg

I duplicate this my information to this category, for the benefit of those interested in the improvement.
The PCB with PCM56P comes from a Sony CDP-M70, the CX23034 digital filter has been maintained and the analog filter after the PCM56 is still the original.

Good morning, my name is Andrea, Hoping not to disturb you, are kindly asking for help ..... I have read on the Audiokarma forum its interesting intervention regarding a modification of a Sony cdp-302es cd player, to add the digital output. As for your directions I have replaced the c.i. Cx23034 digital filter with c.i. cxd1125q. When this is done, can I get out of pin 27 and connect it directly to a rca outlet, installed later, or do I have to add some components? Thanks for the moment, and excuse me for the bad English .... Yours sincerely

Andrea

I've dreamed for years of getting my functional but stock Sony 302 recapped and modded. It's just so damned pretty! A digital out would be the cheapest way to go. Would love to know how to do this.

WOW! I should have known this 12 years ago:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/88616-beloved-cd-player-eighties-digital-domain.html

Anyway, I will try the CXD 1125Q modification. I have a CDP-103 and 302 to choose. Which one has better servo circuitry?
Both boards look very much the same except system control. Size and location of mounting holes are the same indeed.
Does the CXD 1125 run hotter than the CX23035?
I noticed the spare square around the original 23035 in the CDP-302 main board.
This is missing in the CDP-103...
All the best,
Salar

I find some CXD 1125Q sp-dif implementation of Esoteric P-10. Full service manual available of hifi engine.

Capture.PNG

Damn my non-technical fingers. I'm about to sell my Sony to a kid who loves 80's stuff, because I cannot do these mods.

If I am reading this correctly, the chip is replaced, pin 27 is used as a digital out, something of that nature??

Correct - but I just finished this mod just some minutes ago - and my CDP-103 will not read the disc. So if I did not fry the "new" CXD1125Q (Got it as a spare part, I do think I did not fry it)
I assume something else has to be done. Maybe Cizeta can shed a light on it?
I think pin 25 is different between CX23035 and CXD1125

Last edited:
I am a Sony engineer and I have a CDP302ES since 1986 (30 years old). By technical I had access to confidential technical publications of Sony
Good morning, my name is Andrea, Hoping not to disturb you, are kindly asking for help ..... I have read on the Audiokarma forum its interesting intervention regarding a modification of a Sony cdp-302es cd player, to add the digital output. As for your directions I have replaced the c.i. Cx23034 digital filter with c.i. cxd1125q. When this is done, can I get out of pin 27 and connect it directly to a rca outlet, installed later, or do I have to add some components? Thanks for the moment, and excuse me for the bad English .... Yours sincerely. Andrea
Are you able to assist Andrea with her issue?

Yes, great attention to the clock signal at pin 53 of CXD1125 .It must be 16.9344 MHz and not the old 8.4672 MHz! As seen from picture 4, pin 2 of CX23034 (16.9344 out) must be connected to pin 53 of CXD1125Q by disconnecting the old connection (there is a jumper to be cut) ...

Last edited:
NO pin 27 connect directly to a rca outlet! It takes first a 74hcu04 buffer and then a suitable transformer type Pe-65612 available at low cost on eBay. See sony CDP-M50 scheme, to see the connections well.
Digital out Sony CDP.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, the CXD1125Q works now, with one problem:
The display now behaves erratic. It shows the time but flickers randomly. After about 15-20 seconds, it will stop counting the time.
Is this related to a difference between WFCK (Pin25 CX23035) and SQCK (Pin25 CXD1125Q)? Is this the same signals?
But you did also solder between pin 26 of CXD1125 and Pin 13 of RAM MB8416? (Cable with resistor)

Last but not least: Is there a "Q" and non-Q -version? Mine are "Q". Maybe this causes the erratic display-issue as well... There is only datasheets to be found on the "Q" version

Last edited:
I had a lengthy personal conversation to find a solution for the flickering problem, but as for the moment, I think my CDP-103 does not tolerate the swap.
What should always work is the circuitry I attached.
All you need is a 16.9444 base frequency for the digital transmitter DIT4196 which is still available.
I did this 12 years ago for my Nakamichi OMS-5II which is based on Sony circuitry, still works today. I did this on perfboard 12 years ago.
There is still many players to be modified, the CX23035 was widely used, also very often with a base frequency 16.9344mHz. The digital filter CX23034 needs this frequency and has a :2 divider for the CX23035. My Nakamichi did use a SM5804 digital filter so I had to implemet a new clock

Anyone out there to make a proper PCB Layout for this?
I have some freeware but not the time in the moment to deal with
PCB design...
All the best,
Salar
digital_output_for_cx23035.gif

Last edited:
Ics MSM6404A-39RS and MSM6404A-102GS-K are two versions with different pin out and different firmware of the same mechanical control. If the connections are correct they must work both with the CX23035 and with the CXD1125Q. The 102GS-K version has been implemented to better adapt to the change of laser from BU-1 to BU-1C that differ both for the lower power of the BU-1C, and for the anti-drop-out circuit that dampens the gains focus and tracking during the reading of faulty traces. Compare the incoming pin-to-pin signals between a working and faulty device, and you will find the problem.

Thanks a lot for the advice, very much appreciated. But connections are ok, signals are ok, and the problem persitsts.
As one needs an extra board for a buffer anyway, I think it is still safer to add a buffer and DIT4096 or DIT4192.
As I unslodered my CX 23035 using the trick by bending the legs with a thin wire while unsoldering renders the CX23035 pretty useless for future use.
Not problem for me as I have another mainboard.
But here is 80 legs to be SMD-soldered against 28 with the DITs. An adaptor board can be used with the DITs as well, the rest can be bigger IC´s that
can be easily soldered.
CXD1125Q is obsolete while DIT4096 and DIT4192 are still listed as active.

My idea is to omit the digital filter, dac and uutput stage completely and replace it (connectied via SPDI) with a tiny ES9018k2m Dac with ES9601 Headphone / Line driver.
This definately sounds better than the original CX23034 / CX20152 combo. When I omit the CX23034 I have to replace the 67.7376 XTal with an Xtal of 16.9344 with :2 divider as the the DITs need this frequency.
and the CX23035 needs 8.4672. When the digital filter CX23034 is not omitted, it will provide both frequencies via pins 2 (16.9344) and 4 (8.4672).

BTW I am trying to replace the lasr diode of the BU-1. Not easy as it has a diffraction grating in the light path that has to be re-aligned. Looks like a matter of luck,
as the grating is secured by screw locking varnish. If there was enogh applied, one might be as lucky as this guy @ vintageaudiolaser:

http://vintage-audio-laser.com/A-l-atelier-page-54

scroll down to "Sony CDP-502ES - Remplacement de la diode laser"

But in my case, there was almost no varnish applied . the grating got loose what renders a replacement ueseless for the moment...
The grating is the plastic part sticking to a philips screw in one Photo. The glass in the center hole is almost invisible to the eye

05.jpg 01.jpg
06.jpg 07.jpg 09.jpg 03.jpg 02.jpg

2018-01-14 00.11.34.jpg
NEW CHANGES: Eliminated old digital filter cx23034 (2x) and inserting new 4x SM5807EP filter. A pin to pin adapter to the old CX23034 has been created, but a low jitter clock has been added since the old clock was inside the CX23034 which is now missing. Now we are at 4x of oversampling and the anti-image filter has been modified to be a 5th order Bessel VCVS filter with 30KHz ft. Bessel filters do not produce phase rotations within the pass band.:

Last edited:
But you did also solder between pin 26 of CXD1125 and Pin 13 of RAM MB8416? (Cable with resistor)
No, it is a 1K resistor connected to pin 27 DOTX connected to a new connector that I have inserted to have + 5v, gnd, and signal to bring to the rear panel, where there is the buffer and the transformer for the digital output

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom