Sony PS 5520 TT, Anti-skate weight

yosl

I picked-up the above TT some time ago and am quite impressed by its build quality. It needs a belt and a stylus, more importantly it's missing the anti-skate weight. Any idea how - where I could get one or whether I could perhaps substitute something else? Not much point in replacing the belt or stylus without an anti-skate weight, any suggestions would be welcome.

sony PS5520 TT anti skate weight

Hello,
If you have not yet found out details of the antiskate weight, I have one and will be happy to weigh it and let you have drawing/photo of said device. Do you know how to set it up once you have the weight because I don't and would like to know. Let me know and I will either post the details or email them to you.
Cheers
Richard.

Sorry the posting sounds like I will only let you have the information if you tell me how to set it up. This is not what I meant and will of course happily send the info to you. The device is incredibyl simple to make, just a bit of thin wire and a weight. Just let me know and I will get started.
Cheers,
Richard.

Hi dick - welcome to AK.

Can you post a pic of your TT and details of the TA for all of us to see? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hello again,
I forgot to bring my camera home again so can't yet provide photos. I have done a drawing of the weight which I will endeavour to add but the important info is the weight at 3.7 grammes. I suspect a suitable fiishing weight would be fine. The weight is just attaced with very fine fishing line. Here goes with the picture. I hope it makes sense.
Cheers
Richard.

Last edited:
Just dug this thread up. I have the same question as the original post. I need the dimensions of the anti-skate weight. Length and outside diameter. A picture of the anti-skate portion of the table would also be very nice. Thanks.

mac

Hello Allan. And welcome to AK.
Allan Sprecher said:
Hi. I just picked up a Sony 5520 turntable. I cannot remove the platter to replace the belt. Any advice? Thanks, Allan
This takes two people and is rather crude, but works well and will not harm your TT bearing if you are careful. One person needs to pull up on the platter to take all the upward slack out of the bearings. The second person taps down on the end of the spindle with a plastic hammer or a piece of wood or similar piece of soft material (a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 works fine). A nice, quick 'rap', or two, will do it. Be judicious in how hard you hit the end of the spindle. Don't want to drive the spindle down into the bearings. When you reassemble, use just a touch of grease on the spindle/platter interface to prevent this from being a problem next time. I use Phil Wood's water-proof bearing grease and it works very well. Use very little and just smear it around with your finger-tip and wipe off any excess. YMMV.

I picked-up the above TT some time ago and am quite impressed by its build quality. It needs a belt and a stylus, more importantly it's missing the anti-skate weight. Any idea how - where I could get one or whether I could perhaps substitute something else? Not much point in replacing the belt or stylus without an anti-skate weight, any suggestions would be welcome.

Just dug this thread up. I have the same question as the original post. I need the dimensions of the anti-skate weight. Length and outside diameter. A picture of the anti-skate portion of the table would also be very nice. Thanks.

mac

I too have just got a 5520 without the anti skate weight. Can anyone please post the details of weight, size, length, how to, about this dilemma. I've installed a new belt, stylus and set the deck up. Just need the final piece in the jigsaw - the anti skate weight!

Thanks for any help.

P.s. There's more than one of us who would appreciate this help :).

I know this is a old thread i just wanted to share the weight and dimensions for the Sony PS-5520 Bias weight from mine
The weight dimensions:
Weight: 2.5 grams or 0.08 oz
Diameter: 7.89mm or 0.310in
Length: 9.96mm or 0.392in
Depth of hole approx: 7.90mm or 0.311in
Diameter of hole:5.96mm or0.234in
Wall thickness: 0.97mm or 0.038in
The string dimensions:
Thickness: 0.14mm 0.005in
Length: approx 40.12mm or 1.579in
The hole in the weight for the string is to small to measure

I know this is a old thread i just wanted to share the weight and dimensions for the Sony PS-5520 Bias weight from mine
The weight dimensions:
The string dimensions:

Thank you so much! You're a saint! I found this thread several months ago but I am just getting around to making an antiskate weight tonight. I couldn't remember the 3.7 grams and I feel more confident in you're measurement of 2.5 grams.

Your Quite welcome Lemons man happy to help out. Here are some pics for referance

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
  • GEDC0008.JPG
    GEDC0008.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 63
  • GEDC0012.JPG
    GEDC0012.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
The weight dimensions:
The string dimensions:

Thank you for this. There is a 2.6g available in China, but I found this 2.0g one in the US, so hopefully that will work, even if I have to put it on a different notch, or maybe add a little weight to it.

Back
Top Bottom