Sony PS-FL1 TT/tonearm problem

johnrx

Hi
I have this turntable, a Sony PS-FL1. Should I describe it first? It has a modular table that slides out with the help of a motor. Here's a pic I found on Google.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sony_drawer_turntable.jpg

Its fully automatic with three microprocessor controled motors... the motors control the turntable, tonearm and turntable module.

The problem: The tonearm will not lower. If i press play the module closes, the record spins and the tonearm moves over the record but will not lower.

What I've fixed so far, I replaced this small incandecent lamp that sits in the back which the unit uses to determine if there is a 45 or 33 on it. The tonearm moves accordingly, this feature works.

So basically I think the motor that lowers the tonerarm might need replacing?
Anyone have any ideas on this problem?
Are parts available for this TT??
thanks
John

My best guess is that there might be a small belt that transfers the movement of the motor to the arm via pulleys, and that the belt might be broken. You'll have to open it up to find out.

Check partsexpress.com to see if they have anything.

I had one, but I think there was a gear mechanism driven by platter that sensed the size of the LP. So if it was 45 or 33 it would move the tone arm to the right place. I see the sensing feature works, but chances are something in that goofy mechanism isn't working right. Maybe the lubricant on the cam gear is stuck or sticking. Maybe pull the platter off and make sure that theres no obvious problems interfering with the operation.

Overall, neat turntable, but a mechanical nightmare for what should be a simple machine. Can't help you much more, I don't have it anymore.

Good Luck. - mike

I had one, but I think there was a gear mechanism driven by platter that sensed the size of the LP. So if it was 45 or 33 it would move the tone arm to the right place. I see the sensing feature works, but chances are something in that goofy mechanism isn't working right. Maybe the lubricant on the cam gear is stuck or sticking. Maybe pull the platter off and make sure that theres no obvious problems interfering with the operation.

Overall, neat turntable, but a mechanical nightmare for what should be a simple machine. Can't help you much more, I don't have it anymore.

Good Luck. - mike
His problem is not the movement of the arm to the lead in position, it's that the arm won't lower. Does that same mechanism control the lowering as well?

I can't speak for the Sony but in my Pioneer front loaders the motor that swings the arm into position uses the last part of its travel to lower the arm and also operate the muting switch. On the PL-05 the spring loading of the muting switch was enough to make the belt slip, new belt cured the problem.

I bought the service manual online, it appears that there are gears underneath controling the up and down motion of the tonearm, perhaps one has sliped. I have a fix it shop near by, he's inexpensive and good so might take it to him.

I bought the service manual online, it appears that there are gears underneath controling the up and down motion of the tonearm, perhaps one has sliped. I have a fix it shop near by, he's inexpensive and good so might take it to him.

Did you ever solve this?? I have same exact issues. New bulb works fine, arm goes over, wont drop. Mat is aligned properly.

SOLVED!!!!!!!

Just wanted to add this onto here for anybody in the future. I have one of these and bulb was burnt out, which is what I thought was reason it wouldn't drop the needle onto the records. I soldered in new bulb and it still wouldn't work. Finally had time to work on it again today and looked over the optical board. I re-flowed the solder on both optic "eyes" and boom! Working like a champ!!! Hope this helps someone someday!!!

Hi
I have this turntable, a Sony PS-FL1. Should I describe it first? It has a modular table that slides out with the help of a motor. Here's a pic I found on Google.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sony_drawer_turntable.jpg

Its fully automatic with three microprocessor controled motors... the motors control the turntable, tonearm and turntable module.

The problem: The tonearm will not lower. If i press play the module closes, the record spins and the tonearm moves over the record but will not lower.

What I've fixed so far, I replaced this small incandecent lamp that sits in the back which the unit uses to determine if there is a 45 or 33 on it. The tonearm moves accordingly, this feature works.

So basically I think the motor that lowers the tonerarm might need replacing?
Anyone have any ideas on this problem?
Are parts available for this TT??
thanks
John

Fixed!!!
I used the suggestion here of resoldering little electronic board under the mat and platter the one with the light sensors....boom....fixed! Thanks

Let me also confirm the above. Had the same problem with the tone arm moving over to the record but not dropping to play.
Tried re-flowing the solder on a couple of spots towards the north and south on the optical board with no effect.
Then reflowed two spots in the middle and the tone arm started going up and down again normally.
Nothing looked out of whack on the board but this did it.
Thanks to Vinylbeast and Eric for the postings.

Back
Top Bottom