Sony: PS-X45 or PS-T33?

Corbin Gross

Lost in Translation
Can any one tell me how the PS-T33 compares to the PS-X45?

I own the 45 but there's a T33 on CL I'm considering for parts and whatnot. There's a headshell and all that on there. If the T33 is superior than the X45 may be the parts unit.

Thanks.

PS-X45 is quartz DD TT so it is supposed to be more accurate than T33. Having said this without seeing service manual and schematic it is hard to tell how good X-tal circuitry is. The best ones have freq/phase control systems (zero frequency error). The not so good frequency only (frequency error is not zero).

Regarding using one for parts for another - manufacturers usually implement small changes to make it more difficult. However I might be wrong with these particular units.

I don't know the X45, but I have an X55. I don't know the T33(I don't think) but I picked up a T22(or T20, I forget the model number) for parts, mainly the headshell. The X55 is a way better table. It has the heavy base that Sony offered, while the T22 is plastic and light. I would assume your X45 is the keeper of the two you mentioned. For the right price the T33 might be worth it for parts.

Both tables were during Sony's decline, as they abandoned their top-line Biotracer tables in favor of CD. They slowly turned away from all of their technical innovations like BSM, Xtal/Magnadisc, SBMC frame, gel feet, and Biotracer arms. Eventually, everything devolves into plastic junk.

Since you already have the PS-X45, why not get one of their great tables? The PS-X600 is all over eBay right now; you're certain to score one for $200 or so. Ideally, we could find a PS-X75, X700, or X800, which are the kings of the Sony lineup.

The beauty of vintage hi-fi is that you can get just about anything for $300 or less. Take advantage of this and get the best turntable while you can. The collectors will finally discover Sony eventually, so this is our chance.

Going from the Sony brochures on the vinylengine site, the PS-X45 and PS-T33 were offered at the same time as the PS-X75 when the biotracer arm was introduced, so the statement that they were offered after the biotracer was abandoned is not accurate.

The X45 has slightly better rumble spec., quartz lock, electromagnetic braking, lower-capacitance interconnects, heavier platter, height-adjustable fluid-filled feet and overall heavier (about a lb). Both appear to use the same arm and 'Sony Bulk Molding Compound' in the base (so the T33 is not 'plastic') and BSL motor.

To answer your original question, the X45 is the better turntable and it looks like the T33 would be a pretty close match for parts (but again the speed control circuit, etc. would be very different).

I don't agree really that these were offered in Sony's decline period - they were smack in the heydey for big Sony turntables with the PUA-7 / Biotracer / X-TAL lock technology ... although the X45 / T33 offered lower mass straight tonearms.

Going from the Sony brochures on the vinylengine site, the PS-X45 and PS-T33 were offered at the same time as the PS-X75 when the biotracer arm was introduced, so the statement that they were offered after the biotracer was abandoned is not accurate.

The X45 has slightly better rumble spec., quartz lock, electromagnetic braking, lower-capacitance interconnects, heavier platter, height-adjustable fluid-filled feet and overall heavier (about a lb). Both appear to use the same arm and 'Sony Bulk Molding Compound' in the base (so the T33 is not 'plastic') and BSL motor.

To answer your original question, the X45 is the better turntable and it looks like the T33 would be a pretty close match for parts (but again the speed control circuit, etc. would be very different).

I don't agree really that these were offered in Sony's decline period - they were smack in the heydey for big Sony turntables with the PUA-7 / Biotracer / X-TAL lock technology ... although the X45 / T33 offered lower mass straight tonearms.

Ah, yes! It appears that you are correct, sir. I stand corrected.

On an older AudioKarma thread, I found this sales brochure from 1980, showing the Sony turntable lineup, and describing the features of the PS-T22/33. Interesting how the PS-X45/55/65 are more budget-minded versions of the X50/60/70 series, yet still retain the core features (BSM, Magnedisc, SBMC frame). The design of the T22/33 looks like Sony's '80s designs, so that's where I made my mistake.

Thanks to Hakaplan for sharing these. Any documentation from that era is greatly appreciated.

P.S. And now, thanks to this brochure, we finally discover what Sony Bulk Mould Compound is - Calcium Carbonate, fiberglass, and a polyester binder.

PS-T22T33.jpg

PS-T33Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, and I was just hefting one of those SBMC cabinets around today as I was working on new interconnects for one of my PS-X60's.

It’s a good turntable – basically very similar to your PS-X45, but without quartz lock. The tonearm and headshell are the same. These were the second last generation of Sony turntable prior to CD – they still made them after that, but concentrated more on CD, since they invented it (in collaboration with Philips).

Thanks for all the info, guys. I really appreciate it. I actually wound up passing anyway.

He had been asking a little more for the 33 than I purchased my 45 for, and I was mainly interested in the headshell anyway. I emailed him about it just to test the waters and he gave me some business about being on his way to the pawn shop so I'd better hurry over and buy the thing. Later he said he sold it to the pawn shop for his asking price, I doubt it, but I guess that's good for him if he did.

I think I'm better off anyhow. As soon as I get a second headshell I'm going to order a Sure 97, and then I'll want something else, and then my budget hobby is all over.

When I'm ready for an upgrade I'll be looking at all different brands. I'm not married to Sony, but this TT I have now was a good price on CL and close to home.

Good to hear you got it sorted out. There is no need to spend too much to get one of these tables for parts, especially from somebody who is being pushy.
For the record, I checked the table I was talking about earlier, and I have a T22 and a T20. The T20 has a plastic base, not the T22. I bought both for parts and don't use either of them, so I got them mixed up.

Can any of you guys tell me about the PS-X600? There's a guy up north with one on CL and I think it'll go for a pretty reasonable price.

So what do you get with a 600 over a 45?

You get fully automatic including record size selector, electronic vtf & anti-skate, the biotracer arm, super low w&f and rumble and enough complexity to keep you entertained from now till summer arrives.

Good turntable – I own one, and can recommend it. It’s from the next generation of Sony turntables after the PS-T33, PS-X45 and PS-X55. It’s quite similar to a slightly heavier PS-X55, but with the advantage of an active electronically-damped tonearm (Biotracer), to reduce tonearm/cartridge resonance to less than 3dB, leading to greatly reduced intermodulation distortion and improved tracking, particularly of warped records. The tonearm uses the same headshell as many of the straight tonearm Sony turntables, including the PS-T33, PS-X45 and PS-X55, and because it’s an active tonearm, will handle quite a range of cartridges. Very good tonearms, the Biotracers, and obviously JVC and Denon agreed, because they produced their own versions later!

There is a review from Gramophone magazine on the vinylengine website here http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36959 . You can download the user and service manuals free here http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-x600.shtml . There are also useful reviews of the turntable here http://classichifi.info/Sony_PS-X600.htm , here http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X600.html and an archived version of a Hi-Fi World review here http://web.archive.org/web/200903020...biotracer.html .

We’ve also discussed it in earlier threads here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58382 , here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=301813 , here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=274558 , here http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123593 and here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=337616 - there are probably more threads around! There are also other discussion threads on various forums. I suspect it was quite a popular turntable, because there seem to be plenty up for sale on auction and used equipment websites. Following is a Sony ad for it from 1982.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sony PSX600 ad.jpg
    Sony PSX600 ad.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 455
Do you have any suggestions on how to test the thing to see if it's in proper order? I would guess just bring a record and try it out? I'll take along a 7" too. What should I watch out for?

I love the paradox of an automatic record player. Trying to make vinyl convenient...

Do you have any suggestions on how to test the thing to see if it's in proper order? I would guess just bring a record and try it out? I'll take along a 7" too. What should I watch out for?

Just try a few records that you know are in good condition and don’t distort, and listen for any kind of mis-tracking. Make sure it works on both 33 and 45 speeds.

If you have a 7 inch record, make sure it automatically starts in the right place – it should automatically select the 7 inch size when it sees that the holes in the platter and mat at the outside are uncovered. If you have a 10” (25cm) record (known as an EP, or Extended Play record) you can try that, and also try a 12" LP to make sure it starts at the correct point (the drop point is adjustable).

You can also see that the tonearm returns to its rest and stops properly at the end of a record, and try out the repeat button to see if it goes back and starts again at the beginning of the record after it reaches the end. When you press the Stop/Start button while a record is playing, it should stop and return the tonearm to its rest.

Back
Top Bottom