Sony PS-X55 speed problem

kloquewerk

Hey guys, recently picked up a Sony PS-X55 TT that had a couple different issues. Had a counterweight problem which I have seemed to fix but the one thing I can't figure out is there speed issue I am having. The green light to show speed will flicker constantly, obviously because the speed is not correct. I tried tuning it with the 33 1/3 trimpot but it still sounds really "fluttery." I noticed the platter doesn't rotate evenly, kinda rocks up and down and I am guessing that is the issue. I took the spindle off and even when I turn it manually, it still kind of rocks up and down and not evenly. Am I looking in the wrong place to fix this issue? Could it be the speed trimpot that needs to be deoxit or does the fluctuating platter make more sense? Any help would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I am a total newbie and know pretty much nothing about repairs nor have any equipment at all to do testing with. Just hoping this is a somewhat easily fixable issue. Thanks again!

A little update on this:

Yesterday I took the bottom off the TT again to dig a little deeper into this and it seemed to have helped a tiny bit, but still an issue with correct speed. I took the spindle out and cleaned the bottom where the bearing is with some contact cleaner and tried to get it to spin evenly, after a few cleanings and moving things around a little (tightening screws, making sure everything was aligned) and it fixed the uneven spinning... victory there. I also messed with the gain and the offset dials on the board and got various results so I know it's doing its job in that respect. I also cleaned those and the speed trimpots on the main board. When I adjust the 45 and 33 1/3 trimpots, it definitely speeds up or slows down the speed so that's another good sign. The green light on the front now stays solid at certain speeds, problem is, it is a faster speed than it should be when it's solid. When I turn the trimpots and it slows to the correct speed is when I hear the speed fluctuation and the "warped" sound (regular pitch, then slowed down to a slow pitch, then back again over and over.) I think I am on the right track but I'm kind of stuck at this point. Maybe messing with the offset and the gain and keeping the speed higher where the green light stays constant will be the fix but I can't be certain. More testing tonight.

Another update:

Speed issue fixed! I noticed while touching the bottom of the board that the platter would slow down drastically, almost to a stop. Pinpointed it as the cable that attached to the speed sensor under the platter. Cleaned it at the board and took off the screws to the sensor and noticed some orangey gunk buildup at the end of the wires. Cleaned it off and platter starting spinning normally and at the correct speed! Hopefully this might help someone out in the future with the same problem.

Last edited:
Hi..I have the same problem with my ps-x55 ...on 331/3 lock light flickers and speed warble ..read your post and not clear on the repaire where exactly did you see discoloration...need a bit more info...pics if possible....thanks hope you read this..thank for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom