Sony PS-X7 Automatic Function Help

zuhmuguh

I have a Sony PS-X7 turntable that runs fine as a manual, but recently I wanted to try and restore its automatic functions. Before my repair attempt, the table would not automatically cue, would only occasionally automatically return at the end of a record, and touching the start/stop button mid-operation would not stop the platter. After reading every pertinent thread on AudioKarma about PS-X6/X7 repairs, I went in and degreased all of the gunked up parts and regreased with white lithium. While I had the machine open, I also applied DeoxIT where I thought it may have been needed.

Upon putting it back together, it seemed like the cleaning had worked: the auto cue was working (albeit dropping in to the wrong spot), and the auto return worked as it should have. I followed the service manual's guide to adjusting the drop-point, however I think my screwdriver bumped into another part while I was trying to make the adjustment. Since then, all automatic functions on the table are no longer operable, although it does run fine manually.

I was hoping someone on here may be able to help me out! My theory is that I may have nudged the brake drum/shutter assembly out of place, but I'm not quite sure what position it should be in. If anyone could provide a picture, that would be fantastic.

It is quite likely the Record Size Selector Lever has split and no longer shifts the attached linkage. When this lever splits (plastic splits along the securing set screw) the auto start drop down point will be way out of whack from the record size selected. See page 12 of the service manual for a description of this part. This lever is on the PS-X5, 6, and 7 models.

Hey, thanks for the response. The record size selector linkage actually seems to be in fine working order; I made sure to examine it because I know it can cause problems with this series of turntables. The problem with wrong drop point was due to me installing the brake drum/shutter assembly in the wrong position: I fixed that and managed to get one successful cue and auto return out of the table. However, the START/STOP button still will not stop the platter once it gets going, any ideas?

Hey, thanks for the response. The record size selector linkage actually seems to be in fine working order; I made sure to examine it because I know it can cause problems with this series of turntables. The problem with wrong drop point was due to me installing the brake drum/shutter assembly in the wrong position: I fixed that and managed to get one successful cue and auto return out of the table. However, the START/STOP button still will not stop the platter once it gets going, any ideas?
I've managed to fix this, and I think I'm almost in the clear. There's one final problem: I'm hearing a clicking when the platter slows down after play. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hello Zuhmuguh, did you manage to fix the clicking sound? I have a PS-22 that does exactly the same. Thought I would ask you before I delve into it!

Cheers
Mike

Zuhmuguh posted 3 times in 2016 and hasn't been seen on this site since August 2018 ... so I wouldn't hold out much hope on an answer from him. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

I had a similar problem with my PS-X7. The start/stop was intermittent to get the table started (even with a licked finger ;)) Once it started it would happily play along in fully auto mode as long as I allowed it to play, but the same problem occurred when I went to stop to change LPs, using the start/stop button. The table would not stop without completely powering down. It would click during these episodes as well. I assumed it was at least partially a old seized lube problem so I sent it to my tech for a cleaning & lubrication. That did not eliminate the problem, it was a bad IC in the motor. I luckily found a new/used motor on line and now if functions beautifully.

You may note that I've got an issue with what year it is, LOL!

So far the PS-X7 I'm working on right now doesn't have any clicking occurring, and it stops when you press the start/stop and when the cycle completes. Getting it to start is another matter .... but I understand that cleaning the contact plate inside the capacitance switches usually solves this. The record size selector seems to work and the auto-functions do as well, but I haven't pulled the front panel out yet to see if that selector is cracked. The brake drum collar on the tonearm is cracked, so I'll have to deal with that. The strobe isn't lighting up, but looking at the board, the capacitor C106 is leaking so hopefully replacing that will get the neon to light up.

Good thread here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sony-ps-x7-speed-problems.797152/

on all the X5, X6. X7 series the grease used to lube the auto return mechanism dries out and becomes like glue.

if you disassemble the mechansim and clean it, then relube much of the issues will be solved. Just be sure to take tons of pics and make small sketches as you disassemble. otherwise you will create a 100x problem when you try to put back together and dont remember where all the parts went.

on all the X5, X6. X7 series the grease used to lube the auto return mechanism dries out and becomes like glue.

if you disassemble the mechansim and clean it, then relube much of the issues will be solved. Just be sure to take tons of pics and make small sketches as you disassemble. otherwise you will create a 100x problem when you try to put back together and dont remember where all the parts went.
This is excellent advice! I thought about cleaning and re-lubing the table myself. One after about 30 minutes of assessing the complexity of the return mechanism, I took it to my faithful tech. It was the best $60 I ever spent! I could see about 50 ways to put it together out of synch. For those who cleaned and re-lubed the PS-X7 successfully, you have my eternal respect! :bowdown:

Back
Top Bottom