Sony SS-610

dumptruckz36

Does anyone know anything about these speakers? I can pick up a 9 out of 10 looking pair on CL for pretty cheap.

Attachments

• sony speakers 2 rotated.jpg
    sony speakers 2 rotated.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 209
  • sony speakers 3 rotated.jpg
    sony speakers 3 rotated.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 174
I love trying out different speakers so if they were wicked cheap (read: $10 or so) I'd probably get them but any more than that and I'd pass. I always figure for $10 what do I have to lose? That being said my expectation level for those would be just above a 0 on a scale from 1-10

the guy is asking for 15. i think its a fair price. my dad has a pair of old sonys that have a very relaxed and laid back sound. i was thinking of pairing these with my Sony STR-7035.

TVK is down right now, but I'm thinking these are from the '70's. Probably pretty decent speakers. For the price and condition, how can you go wrong?

Looks like they are from either 1972 or 73 according to the catalogs. And is in the upper range of speakers from those years. Would not mind a pair for my STR-7065A.

so i did end up grabbing them. im quite satisfied with the sound. they are rated down to 50hz, but i think they should be rated down to atleast 40hz. the cabinets are beautiful. it looks like they already had someone replace the speaker connectors on the back. im guessing they used to be RCA connectors. anyway, they also have the simplest crossovers ive ever seen; only 2 capacitors! anyway, im really happy with how they sound :D

Attachments

• IMG_4356_2.jpg
    IMG_4356_2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4357_2.jpg
    IMG_4357_2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4361_2.jpg
    IMG_4361_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 244
so i did end up grabbing them. im quite satisfied with the sound. they are rated down to 50hz, but i think they should be rated down to atleast 40hz. the cabinets are beautiful. it looks like they already had someone replace the speaker connectors on the back. im guessing they used to be RCA connectors. anyway, they also have the simplest crossovers ive ever seen; only 2 capacitors! anyway, im really happy with how they sound :D

If they were replaced, I'd think they were likely to be screw terminals or threaded posts w/nuts type terminals, since the STR-6046 receiver had screw speaker terminals.

I saw those on CL... if they were closer... :D

hahaha yeah it does. the tweeter also says 3 watts on it. there is no writing on the mid

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 85
Sweet

Nice :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

You gotta recap those. Some decent poly's and those would be sounding better than new :music:

I found a pair of these in a local GW but one of the woofers doesn't work at all. I swapped the 8" driver from the working one and it works so I think that means the capacitors are fine. Any suggestions? I looked online for a replacement but couldn't find anything. Should I replace the woofers in both speakers so the sound image is correct out of both speakers?

I picked up a pair of the same speakers for $10 at a thrift store but they still have the RCA connectors.

Can I remove the RCA's and modify them to just run speaker wire to my 70's integrated amp? What are my options?

Absolutely. You can buy an RCA speaker wire at RS and cut off the connecter at one end to expose the wires that will run from the amp, or you can take the back panel of the speaker off and connect regular speaker wire. It'll be easy to see where the wires are connected to the RCA on the inside. I liked the sound of those with the backs off as they were a nice taste of almost open baffle. Classic Sony retro!

So the connector coming from the speaker is actually not a red/white RCA like I'm used to seeing but just one gray male plug that says Sony.

I have bought a pair of SS-610
but The woofers are damaged.
I want to ask about the sound quality, clarity and Power
I'm willing to fix it

I know I'm necroposting, and for my first post, but I just nabbed a Sony HP-610A with FOUR SS-610 speakers. It sounds amazing - but I'm curious to know what capacitors would be ideal for replacing the aging stock ones? Bear in mind that I have no real knowledge of audio signals whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom