Sony STR-V5 vs STR-6800SD

relaximus

Consoles 'Я' Us
I have my choice of these for similar prices (~$75). Which would you choose and why? Also, are there any known issues with either that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Dave

The STR-V5 is rated at 85 wpc but seems much more powerful. I've compared it to the TOTL V7 and the volume output seems the same. The tuners are the same. I think there is an extra lever in the V7 but that is it. My vote goes to the V5.

The STR-V5 is rated at 85 wpc but seems much more powerful
Thanks Sam, I think they are both similar in power output (V5 vs 6800) and I've read similar feelings for both. Even my old 7065 seems to push out more than its rated output. As I recall, the 6800 utilizes some type of Power Pack's in the output stage. Is the V5 the same in this regard?

Dave

Both are well liked. I had a V5 and it was impressive. The V5 has a 5 gang tuner vs 4 for the 6800. Torroid vs square transformer, two big caps in the PS vs one. IIRC the V5 has discreet outputs. All of this would make me lean towards the V5 unless you can put both side by side and then just pick your favorite.

The extra control on the tuner section of the V7 is a Wide/Narrow setting the V5 lacks. I think the V7 also has an extra IF amplification stage on the tuner board.

$75 for a nice V5 is a steal. They should go for $125 to $150 and everyone selling one around here asks for $200 or more and they just sit there.

Issue with the V5? Often the tuner only pulls mono. After I sold mine I found out it was probably a simple adjustment.

Both are well liked. I had a V5 and it was impressive. The V5 has a 5 gang tuner vs 4 for the 6800. Torroid vs square transformer, two big caps in the PS vs one. IIRC the V5 has discreet outputs. All of this would make me lean towards the V5 unless you can put both side by side and then just pick your favorite.

The extra control on the tuner section of the V7 is a Wide/Narrow setting the V5 lacks. I think the V7 also has an extra IF amplification stage on the tuner board.

$75 for a nice V5 is a steal. They should go for $125 to $150 and everyone selling one around here asks for $200 or more and they just sit there.

Issue with the V5? Often the tuner only pulls mono. After I sold mine I found out it was probably a simple adjustment.

Unfortunately the V5-7 does not have shielding for the gangs so the trimpots and vanes gum up easily causing poor reception and no stereo. Also the meters tend to not work because of dirty adjustment pots. Both are relatively easy fixes with some "tech in the can".

Thanks Sam, I think they are both similar in power output (V5 vs 6800) and I've read similar feelings for both. Even my old 7065 seems to push out more than its rated output. As I recall, the 6800 utilizes some type of Power Pack's in the output stage. Is the V5 the same in this regard?

Dave

Agreed with Raynald, get the V5 unless you need to have an pre/main interconnect. This was inexplicably deleted in the V5-7.

The 6800 does have Darlington power packs. I had one for a couple days, had a nice tuner and seemed stronger than its 80WPC rating. Can't say I'm much of a fan of the dual core filter cap in the 6800 though.

Back
Top Bottom