SONY TA 3200f replacement Transistors

MrIgotNomoney

Hello
I have a Sony TA 3200 F power amp basket case, I am thinking about totally rebuilding it, since I have the companion TA 2000 preamp.
My issue is the amplifier, I cant find replacement transistors, especially the outputs, they are listed in the service manual as TX183S
And on the amp board the SPS885
I am planning on changing all the caps,diodes and transistors in this amp and putting the thing back together.
I bought it as a junker, but it looks very good, nice and clean.
Im guessing someone tried to use it as a welder.
Anyone out there know about this beast ?
Thanks
bob

I just finished repairing a missing leg on an SPS885 and ordered one from Partsstore. I did receive the email update that the part is back ordered, yeah right. I expect to get another email saying it is not available.

I would be interested in substitutions for the SPS885, also. If I receive the transistor, I'll post that info.

Thanks Blue
I have a local supplier here in town that a freind is recommending to help find obscure/obsolete parts.
I will let you know what I find out.
My 3200f was bought as a box of parts, but once I got into it it was all there.
I love the TA 2000 preamp. Id like to find the matching tuner, and have been looking for a few years, but no luck.
bob

I guess its worth a try

I have had the 3200 on a shelf for a couple years, id like to get it up and running. I have a bunch of vintage stuff, I was saving for winter projects.
This and my TA2000 will make a nice office system.

thanks
bob

Hello
Pulled the Sony 3200 off the shelf for a look, this guy is truly a parts piece.
I was thinking about using the chassis,power transformer to build a new amplifier.
The ps will put out + 70 / - 70 volts. I'm thinking am amp module like Ampslab sells
http://ampslab.com/. The big issue will be the higher b+/b- voltage of 70 volts/.
I was thinking, use the original heat sink, this is for 4 TO3 devices.
Anybody got any ideas about amp modules that might be a good fit?
I figure I should be able to build a 100 watt power amp from the leftovers.

bob

Are any of your TX183S still working?

If you do use the chassis for a new amp, I'd be interested in talking to you about acquiring them.

The output transistors inside of the TA-3200F must be very special.

Since the amp runs at unbelievable +-70V, these have to be very rugged types, which must have been science fiction in 1970. This could be the reason, why they have non-Japanese (JIS) numbering, probably they are re-named U.S. types with military specs.

The types from ON Semiconductor, EW recommended are the only ones, which would immediately come into my mind if you want to replace such transistors.

I have originals of these (directly shipped from ON Semi as free samples), which I could provide. Another way to get them, would be ordering them as samples on the ON Semiconductor web page. These will be indeed no counterfeits.

Another hint: Never use the limiter function of the TA-3200F, because during active clipping (that's the limiter's function) huge amounts of phase shifted current will flow, so the limiter is more a kind of destroyer for speakers and output transistors ... :D

Well it is the deal of the week, buying a replacement SPS885 from the partsstore. For a mere 17 and change they sent me a 2SC3468 available for about a quarter at a few different electronics suppliers. I will change to the c3468 when I get another one for that quarter along with a few other parts to share the more reasonable 7-8 bucks in shipping.

From the "Sony Semiconductor Replacement Handbook:"
TX183S = 2SC1115 8-729-311-51
SPS885 = 2SC3468-E 8-729-803-82

I have 8 2SC1115 in stock.

kenwood L-07mkII

How do you like em?? I used to own a pristine pr many years ago but go rid of em. I loved the size and the build quality. G

I have the "inventory" for a TA-3200 for sale

I have a TA-3200 that I had for more than 30 years. Been stored in a sealed bag on the attic for at least 25 of those years.

I need the transformer, power board and caps. for another project I am working on, so I want to sell the power amp board and the 4 transistors (TX183S).

Powered it up yesterday and adjusted DC balance and Bias. No problems. Plays smooth.

I live in Norway so you have to consider freight costs to werever you live. I haven't checked it on my side yet, but I will do one of the next days. Weight? Bets guess is around 5-600grams + box --> aprox 1 Kilo.

So it is 1pce. 8-982-688-22 Power amp/protection board and 4pcs. TX183S guaranteed to work.
I do not want to split. One trade one parcel. Anyone interested?

If you know anyone with a defect TAN-8550 he cant repair due to lack of VFET's or any other item, I am interested to buy/trade.

I have a "few" of the VFET's laying around, but they are not for sale.

I had a TAN-8550 for many years but had to sell due to marriage many years ago, and now I should like to have one back. Best sound I ever heard.

I too, am attempting to resurrect my old Sony gear that includes:

5000FW Tuner
TA-2000 preamp
TA-3200F Amp
TA-3120 Amp
SQD-2020 SQ Decoder

Been browsing a lot of information on Sony transistor substitutions and wondering why these NTE transistors are not acceptable, or never mentioned as possible replacements?

Sony 2SC1124 = NTE190
2SA706 = NTE211
TX183S = NTE375 MJ21194 = NTE388
2SA653 = NTE398

NTE doesn't manufacture their own transistors - relabeled parts from other companies at high prices. Sometimes they are exact originals, sometimes not. IMHO better to get good replacement substitution from a reputable supplier at lower prices. YMMV.

Has anyone tried the NTE162 as a substitute for a Sony TX 183S? NTE also recommends their NTE398 as a sub for the Sony 2SA653. Any comments?

My TA-3200f lists Q110,Q210 as 2SC1161's and Q111,Q211 as 2SA653's but the board is loaded with 2SC895's and 2SA527's. I am the original owner and the amp has never been serviced. Q112.Q212 and Q113,Q213 are, of course, the illusive TX-183S's.

I'm still looking for good replacements for all. The drivers appear to be good, but the TX-183S's are TOAST. I've read that Sony recommended their 2SC1115's as replacements for the TX-183S. Does that mean that I will have to go to a different driver, or should I expect the originals to work. The specs appear to be vastly different for the outputs.

I should ask - Has anyone used substitutes for the TX-183's, with satisfactory results? If so what transistors, drivers and outputs, did they use?

You can use MJ21194's to replace the TX183S's. They don't match the V(ceo) of the original... 500V really necessary though? Otherwise they'll do the job. The frequency bandwidth product f(T) is s-l-o-w.... 5MHz, gone are the day of high speed TO-3 transistors...

The 2SC1115 doesn't look like a great match... 100W transistors in a 100W RMS amp... 80V V(ceo) on a 70+V rail...

EDIT: STI Micro makes some 25MHz TO-3 outputs. 2ST5949/2ST2121. 250V 17A 250W.

You don't have to change the drivers, assuming they're still good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom