Sorry ....I save the best scores for.....me..Altec Score!

That is a nice score but the matching one is gonna cost.
So what tube amp do you have in mind?

BillWojo

Dang! Nice one!!

That's got to be a pretty early one. Looks like a very low serial #.

Don't sellers on ebay ask $4 or $5 thousand for those?

The seller was a stand up guy. the speaker was a bit hidden in an ad, but someone else stumbled on to it and started upping the price. He chose to honor the 1st caller and we were able to work a deal! This guy is going to get some more free gear from me in the future. he likes to repair everything! The Pioneer tube am is a SM-83. Unfortunately, the seller destroyed the cab because he thought it was junk and the wood on the front blocked the sound.

Well congrats on another great deal done.
She looks great and you have cultivated a new relationship.
:thumbsup:

Let's just say that the former owner of the Altec 604b is going to piss his pants when he sees some of the free gear he's going get!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Wow. Good eye spotting that hiding on craigslist!. What is one of those actually worth? People do list them for around 5K, but no sales at that price. The last one that sold needed a rebuild and went for 999.99..

Not sure as to the worth of the Hollywood these days. I plan to either find an empty Altec cab or build one from scratch. Perhaps Bowtie 427 has some insight. Tom? Tell me Tom, the front panel that the 604b is mounted in my pic....is that an Altec panel?

Last edited:
I don't think it's from a factory Altec cabinet. Most of the cabinets from that era like 606, 607, or 612 used a port that has less width and more height to its aspect ratio.

There were a lot of non-Altec plans for cabinets for Altec drivers, and even some aftermarket cabinets

As for value, it is the most desirable 604 in excellent condition.

But, it comes with a bonus, an original N1000 network. The crossover is probably rarer than any of the 604's, and it's value to a collector would surprise most folks.

I would just store the network and build a scratch copy, copy in the electrical sense.

It's the best tonally balanced and best overall sounding 604/crossover combination, and last of the 604's with a multicell horn. It's as good as it gets for 604's.

Properly presented at the optimum time of year, it's value should be right at the very top of it's game. I'd want a replacement value of 4K on my insurance for the raw driver and network. maybe more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom