soundbar recomendation

guitarman50

I'm looking for a recomendation for a soundbar that doesn't try to emulate surround sound. I'm looking for high quality audio that improves from the tv sound. I'd like it powerful. A wireless sub would be ideal as well.
I'd like to spend no more than around $1,200 Canadian ($900 US)

Does no one come to this corner of the forums?

I picked up the Bose Solo 5 ($250US) as we are babyproofing the house and wanted something small, simple, and sans-sub. The dialogue is AMAZING and movie and TV sound effect are excellent as is the playback via Bluetooth. I managed to finagle a way of connecting my turntable to it, and it sounds OK, not great. As a TV/movie audio device I am extremely pleased especially given the size and price point. It does not try to emulate surround - it simply does what it does very well.

I've been told the Sonos is superior, though, and that is well within your price range.

I am happy with my ZVOX Sound Base for the bedroom. Some models include a small sub as well as sub out, which I was able to use by placing a small sub behind the chest on chest that holds the tv and base.

Does no one come to this corner of the forums?

I picked up the Bose Solo 5 ($250US) as we are babyproofing the house and wanted something small, simple, and sans-sub. The dialogue is AMAZING and movie and TV sound effect are excellent as is the playback via Bluetooth. I managed to finagle a way of connecting my turntable to it, and it sounds OK, not great. As a TV/movie audio device I am extremely pleased especially given the size and price point. It does not try to emulate surround - it simply does what it does very well.

I've been told the Sonos is superior, though, and that is well within your price range.

I need something that will do the current room 11X16 and in 2 years when my daughter is finished college and moves out it will go in my rec room which is 14X20. I read up on the Sonos and it seems like sound quality is what I'm after but the lack of HDMI is a concern.

I just went ahead and ordered the ZVOX 570 sound base because while I do think it sounds dynamite, I am not thrilled about the occasional muffling and sub-par bass I am getting from the Bose Solo 5. I'm going to put these up against each other head to head, and the loser is going to get returned. I will keep you posted...

I think I'm going to go for the Paradigm Soundscape. Just got back from checking out Bose, Samsung and Sony. They just seem so cheap and don't sound that great.

Did you check out the Sony ST7? That also came highly recommended but was a little bit out of my budget.

I replaced the Bose with a ZVOX 570 Sound Base and holy moley - this thing is fabulous. It sounds like I still have my real stereo set up even when playing the turntable. I returned the Bose and I'm not looking back. The built-in sub really kicks.

Get a ZVOX!

Back
Top Bottom