Soundcraftsmen A5002 X2...

[QUOTE="Loud & Clear, post: 8795130, member: 205093 watts to 250 watts faster than greased lightning... :yes:[/QUOTE]

Yep, amazing what a good quality amp will do. My WOPL does this also except it's 3w to 500w in a blink of an eye and never run out of headroom. I am envious of your skills, I have to rely on other's talents

Last edited:
"
Yep, amazing what a good quality amp will do. My WOPL does this also except it's 3w to 500w in a blink of an eye and never run out of headroom. I am envious of your skills, I have to rely on other's talents
Thank you for the compliment. We all have out "nitches" in which we excel.
Indeed, headroom is everything. Especially for the subsonics enthusiast such as myself...

Last edited:
Ok, I just got around to examining, and subsequently fixing the problem with my rail switching indicators. With using the high intensity blue l.e.d.'s with a 14K resistors in series, I found through examination that the 47uf (C23) capacitor was to large. It made the l.e.d.'s sluggish coming on, but especially when turning off. I remedied this, with running 2.2uf replacement. The switching of the diodes is now back on track.

The sound these amplifiers create, is nothing less than breathtaking. The stock A5002 (even if brand new) cannot compare with these hybrids. They really turned out beyond my hopes. I will get some more clear detailed photos posted when I get a bit more time. I have several irons in the fire and am not working (though I wish I could) on these amplifiers exclusively.

Many Thanks for visiting my thread. I have a huge amount of work involved in these amplifiers. I'm hoping I inspire others to jump out of the box and crank up there soldering irons. ;)

Please ignore the post above. I was trying to fix up the format and can't seem to find the "delete" option.

I know this is probably the wrong place for this type post, But, I am in need of 1 soundcraftsmen amplifier speaker switch. One of my switches is broken. Most of the S.C. amplifiers with speaker switching switches will work. Thanks.

EDIT: I disabled the speaker switching, to reduce wire length and take the switches (that oxidize into fine resistors) out of the signal path. They are now repurposed for l.e.d. meter switching. They now switch the display to, on or off and bar or dot modes. They work just right for the purpose and are on the front panel to boot... :)

Last edited:
Wups I forgot to post the finished product. Here they are in action. The subsonics are clean right down to below 20 cycles. Turned out better than I had anticipated. If you are looking for a whole album completely full of subsonics, give Pink Floyd "a momentary lapse of reason" a try and see how low you can go. This was a "huge" project, but well worth it in the end. Thanks...

Soundcraftsmen for audiokarma (1).JPG Soundcraftsmen for audiokarma (2).JPG Soundcraftsmen for audiokarma (4).JPG Soundcraftsmen for audiokarma (3).JPG

Last edited:
In my spare time, I am working on 2 Soundcraftsmen A5002 H class amplifiers. These will find a permanent home in my sound system. I have 1 pair of JBL 4350's. The 4350 has 2 - 15" woofers per cabinet. Therefore each 15" woofer, will get its own A5002 channel. That way I get the advantages that are found in running amplifiers into an 8 ohm load. I am working both these amplifiers at the same time.

These S.C. Amplifiers will be highly modified, to fit my particular system needs. This will be a work in progress, and I will Update this thread every chance I get. Which might not be that often, as I have other electronics that paying customers bring me. So this is a bit of a sideline, but my heart & "mind" will be deep into this project...

Note: The JBL 4350, is a biamped speaker system. So everything above 250 cycles will be finding it's way through a Soundcraftsmen A2502. I have tried, tested, and proven these amplifiers, and have found them to be "Extremely Good" amplifiers, and I have worked with "A Lot" of amplifier.

Anyway, I would encourage you to keep an eye on this thread at you leisure. You may find some interesting things you may want to incorporate in your Soundcraftsmen A5002 builds... Thanks... :thmbsp:

And so we begin:
In my spare time, I am working on 2 Soundcraftsmen A5002 H class amplifiers. These will find a permanent home in my sound system. I have 1 pair of JBL 4350's. The 4350 has 2 - 15" woofers per cabinet. Therefore each 15" woofer, will get its own A5002 channel. That way I get the advantages that are found in running amplifiers into an 8 ohm load. I am working both these amplifiers at the same time.

These S.C. Amplifiers will be highly modified, to fit my particular system needs. This will be a work in progress, and I will Update this thread every chance I get. Which might not be that often, as I have other electronics that paying customers bring me. So this is a bit of a sideline, but my heart & "mind" will be deep into this project...

Note: The JBL 4350, is a biamped speaker system. So everything above 250 cycles will be finding it's way through a Soundcraftsmen A2502. I have tried, tested, and proven these amplifiers, and have found them to be "Extremely Good" amplifiers, and I have worked with "A Lot" of amplifier.

Anyway, I would encourage you to keep an eye on this thread at you leisure. You may find some interesting things you may want to incorporate in your Soundcraftsmen A5002 builds... Thanks... :thmbsp:

And so we begin:

Attachments

• 20180831_105028_Film4.jpg
    20180831_105028_Film4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 36
Nice looking rig! :thumbsup:

Most of all it makes me miss my Samson S-1500, don't ever let it go. They don't make them anymore, didn't make all that many, and they command a far higher price today than they ever sold new for.

Nice work. I rebuilt an MA5002 once, never again. Wonderful amp once it was finished though.

Your username seems quite fitting, considering you'll have a channel of 5002 for each JBL woofer. :thmbsp:
I have a soundcraftsmen ma5002. And the protect light came.on so when i opened it i saw a few resistors were damaged 4 to the exact on one side there were 3 damaged all three of them were the same type 330 ohms+/- 5% and the other side 91 ohms +/- 5% but i replaced the o1 ohms with an 100 ohms . One one side i lost a few transistors but the other has all so i changed the resistors and When i powered it on i noticed a small amount of smoke coming from one side so i shut it off. And had a look it was the samw 100 ohms transistor that had burn again. This is driving me crazy. I need some help

One one side i lost a few transistors but the other has all so i changed the resistors and When i powered it on i noticed a small amount of smoke coming from one side so i shut it off. And had a look it was the samw 100 ohms transistor that had burn again. This is driving me crazy. I need some help
Resistors don't just arbitrarily burn up. You have either a shorted transistor, diode or capacitor that's burning up your resistors.

Back
Top Bottom