Source for Filter Capacitors???

Joe Nardy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Please help me source some filter caps for my Denon PMA-777 integrated amp. See this thread for details.

I need two filter caps:

- 22,000 uF
- 63 volts
- Solder terminals
- 40mm diameter
- 100mm height

I've checked Mouser and Digi-Key with no success. Please let me know if you have a different source where I might be able to get these caps. I'm willing to make modifications if necessary to get the amp back in service.

Thanks,
Joe

Thank you sir! This link is for a snap-in cap with five pins. Mouser does not show any Kemet caps similar to this with solder terminals. What would be involved in modifying a five pin snap-in configuration to a solder terminal circuit board?

Thanks again,
Joe

The cap is smaller so there would be plenty of room above it. You could probably just solder a couple leads right onto the terminals, insulate these if it could come into contact with other things, and connect the other ends into where to old cap was soldered in.

The question becomes, do the solder tabs actually go through the board, or are the caps fitted to clamps and wires soldered to the tabs?

If it doesn't get soldered to a board, just solder the wire to the snap in pins.

This one is a 2 pin. Probably have to click on the datasheet length to find the pin spacing. If the Denon has large solder pad areas you may be able to drill for fit. I've had to do that before. Drill from the side opposite the side you're soldering to and go slowly so as not to lift copper away from the board.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/382LX223M063N082?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3ZfosjBsz73QadNp6CW0orspQWKAts08Aw==

If I'm reading the datasheet correctly the pins are spaced at 10mm which would fit on the board, except that they're centered and the originals are offset. These are also 40mm diameter so they would be a better fit in the clamp if the offset can be worked out.

Thanks,
Joe

The question becomes, do the solder tabs actually go through the board, or are the caps fitted to clamps and wires soldered to the tabs?

If it doesn't get soldered to a board, just solder the wire to the snap in pins.

They are soldered to a board. However, all these options are shorter than the originals so I should be able to raise them above the board a bit and use short wires from the cap pins to the board if required. If the new caps are 40mm in diameter they will be snug in the clamp. If not, some spacers could be devised to keep the caps secured in place.

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks to everyone who offered me help on this project. I finally got the Denon back together and fully functional. Here's the repair summary.

What a great community.

Thanks again,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom