Sources for Hi-Res audio files

SteveJewels

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am marooned on a desert island and unable to get to my analog sources so I have decided to get a portable DAP and some IEM's until I can get back to civilization.

(I have accepted an assignment in western China and it looks as though I will be here for a while.)

The Audio-Technica IM03's will be delivered today. I have not yet decided on a DAP but I am leaning toward the Onkyo DP-X1a.

Streaming is not always a viable option for me as I have only the hotel Wi-Fi or cellular data for connectivity. The hotel Wi-Fi seems to be ok but I am looking to have files on the DAP.

What are good sources for purchasing Hi-Res audio files? What have you used? What do they cost? What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

191105.jpg

I knew I liked vinyl for a reason. :)

Thanks for the responses.

I am in China. Everyone I ask here says, "Oh no, they are free on the web." LOL

Last edited:
Update:

I found a DAP, the Onkyo DP-X1a and some IEM's, Audio-Technica IM03's.

I have been listening to some of the digital stuff I have accumulated over the years from ripping my CD's and have been downloading files from Amazon Prime music. I was quite surprised at the improvement in SQ when listening to the same files on the DP-X1a compared to a Sandisk MP3 player. So far so good.

Now it is time to get some good Hi-Res files. Still looking or recommendations on places to buy files and suggestions for what files, technique of recording and mastering rather as well as good quality playback.

I did see the other thread with reviews. I found some good information there.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, you how you like your Onkyo ?
I almost pulled the trigger on one this morning but I thought it would be best to talk to someone who owns one first,
I have a million questions but first tell me your impressions

Thanks
Marcos

I've purchased from HDTracks before. IME, don't bother, just rip CDs to flac. HDtracks stuff suffers from poor mastering just as much as CD albums, possibly more. For example, look at this.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc?artist=eagles&album=hotel+california

You're better off buying CDs and ripping them yourself. Espcecially considering how cheap you can get CDs now, and even more so used.

I'd argue that a lot of our favorite tunes were never mastered to audiophile standards to start with.

I'm going to have to investigate Hotel California. I have the original DVD audio 192khz source and thought it sounded fantastic. I have the HDTracks version...but I assumed it was largely just the DVD-A version.

I do know I was disappointed in the SACD release.

Back
Top Bottom