Sovtek 6n1p ?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Handlebar, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Handlebar

Handlebar Well-Known Member

..is in a yaqin MC 10L and gives off a pretty good hum. The original 6n1 didnt hum. The Sovtec prob has about 15 to 20 hours. Think I remember reading that after about 10 (?) hrs, the hum goes away pretty much entirely. Is that right ?
    pretty annoying and loudest in the right speaker, a cornwall.
    any recommendations on other manufacturers as I'm disappointed so far with these Sovteks..?
    Hbar

2. Urizen

Urizen Lunatic Member

All 6N1P tubes are made by the Voskhod, Russia factory no matter how they're labeled and marketed in the USA (Sovtek/Svetlana).

I had a pre that used those tubes and rolled some other types in as recommended by jaymanaa.

"The 6N1Ps draw .6A of heater juice, so we can assume we're good up to that. That means anything from a 6CG7 cleartop, to a 6BQ7A, or 6BK7B is game. BTW those three are some of my favorites, with maybe the 6CG7 RCA Blackplate with shield between sections probably being my favorite."

Check with Yaqin for compatibility/warranty issues.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. ronaldw441

ronaldw441 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. So I bought another 8 from a different vendor then swapped them around until I found the best 4.

My MC-10L sounds great now. What a deal for about $500 delivered.

Might have to try the 6CG7's. That is,,, as soon as I can find them. I'm sure I have some since one of my Conrad Johnson amps uses them. Hmmmmm, where can they be?

Ron

4. MWalt

MWalt Addicted Member

I got a matched set of the NOS version (with a pic of a rocket on them) from Ian at Grant Fidelity and they are better than any thing else I have tried on my MC-10L. Not a peep out of them and sonically great.

5. Handlebar

Handlebar Well-Known Member

i looked on their site..they didnt list any. u got a 6n1p or 6n1..and who made it..thx

6. BadassBob

BadassBob Digitally rendered

Not all 6N1Ps are made at the Voskhod factory. Genuine Voskhod tubes have the rocket logo. There are many other manufacturers of the 6N1P. The Sovtek 6N1P is indeed made at the Reflektor plant, and not the Voskhod plant.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html