SP1200, 1700, or 2500 Crossover Diagrams

I'll work up with and without zobel and coil, and show you what mine's doing. Interesting you didn't see the drop I did on the woofer in parallel.

sans zobel, and individual curves. Then impedance change in the system removing the zobel

Attachments

• woofer series no zobel.jpg
    woofer series no zobel.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 7
  • woofer impedance no zobel.jpg
    woofer impedance no zobel.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
And what I get parallel vs series (These are all using "clear" settings)

Attachments

• frequency series.jpg
    frequency series.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 8
  • frequency parallel.jpg
    frequency parallel.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 9
I get your same impedance plot without the coil in place and just the zobel.

Attachments

• woofer zobel only.jpg
    woofer zobel only.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2
  • woofer with coil and zobel.jpg
    woofer with coil and zobel.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
  • woofer no filter no zobel.jpg
    woofer no filter no zobel.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2
OK. Got the microphone in yesterday and installed REW. I've been playing with it this morning, getting the room dimensions right, etc. Here is the graph of the speakers together, 1/6 octave smoothing on each setting, clear, neutral and soft. All this is a bit new to me, so it may take some trial and error getting each driver in the box as a ZMA file. Most of that will be setting up the mic to get rid of as much of the room as possible. This is the pair with coil and zobel installed, old capacitors in the crossover. There's a significant dip around 600, and makes me think that maybe a 1.2 coil instead of the 1.5 would work a bit better by pushing the coil crossover point upwards to 800ish. Of course, the old caps could be causing issues being way out of spec.

Attachments

• Sansui sp2500 full graph.jpg
    Sansui sp2500 full graph.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here is a single speaker, no coil or zobel, Munford Ecaps to replace old (blue) versus old caps, coil and zobe (pink)

Attachments

• single sp2500 compare.jpg
    single sp2500 compare.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 11
Of interesting note, new caps (blue) vs old caps (green).

I'm off to swap the new cap crossover to one of the speakers with the zobel.

Attachments

• sp2500 new caps vs old.jpg
    sp2500 new caps vs old.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 15
.frd files finished. I measured them as mounted in the box, so there's 5 total. L/R mid, top/bottom Tweeter and woofer. Measured 1 meter away, nothing within 5 feet of speaker, 9ft ceiling and about 2.5 ft off the ground. 1/12 octave smoothing.

Going to email those to you.

Attachments

• sp2500 frd inserted.jpg
    sp2500 frd inserted.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 11
Something I didn't think about until I measured each speaker, and that was setting my tone flat on the receiver. I was thrown off by was Xsim had versus what REW heard.

I re-did the response of the Munford Ecap and zobel circuit with the flattened tone, and was fairly surprised at the similarity between Xsim and the actual measurement. I will note, the tweeters and mid are parallel, woofer in series in Xsim. Xsim didn't see that huge dip around 700 though, which has me scratching my head......box maybe?

Attachments

• sp2500 response flat.jpg
    sp2500 response flat.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Nice job. This is with the woofer inverted. I have zma and frd for the pioneer. The data files came with the speakers back when they were on PartsExpress.

Attachments

• with pioneer.jpg
    with pioneer.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Ohms.jpg
    Ohms.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
Are those resistors on the crossovers 16k or 16? I'm using 16k. It evens out the high end between crossover points on the Xsim filter response graph.

Attachments

• filter response Natural setting with zobel.jpg
    filter response Natural setting with zobel.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have them at 16. I always assumed the "K" was Ohm. I'll have to look at that in my layout. Also, I have the resistors in front of the cap, I'll need to move them to between cap and coil.

It also just occurred to me. They installed S-115 (12R) or S-105 (15R) for midranges. Mine have the latter. Both are 10W.

I've tinkered around some, and while you really can't "flatten" these speakers out, I managed to clean up what I could. Wish I could explain the hole at 150 outside of just being the speaker itself. Dip at 1k won't go away unless you delete the coil from the woofer entirely.

I checked my old and new crossovers, all are 16k.

Attachments

• guesswork SP2500.jpg
    guesswork SP2500.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 12
T

nbpass12db.gif

I'm wondering if just changing C2 to to suit the system would bring that crossover where it is supposed to be for the SP2500 at about 890/6800 on the Natural setting. I'm getting 15uF for C2 in the diagram above and the inductors are as measured as posted on page 1. All other capacitors stay the same.

I've tinkered with those numbers, and couldn't do anything to get that low side of the mid to get a lower crossover point. Seems only to change in db. I'll show you where I'm at on this, may go a cheapy route and slap this together to experiment with. Coil values kinda have to change some. I shot for a point between clear and natural. I also upped the resistor value on the mids, which brought it more in line with the tweeters.

Attachments

• 2500 fr with mid.jpg
    2500 fr with mid.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
  • 2500 xover trial.jpg
    2500 xover trial.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom