Speaker Grill Cloth - where?

mplsbob

Does anyone know of a retailer (Home Depot, Target, Michael's, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Checker Auto, etc.) that carries grill cloth? I like to recover two speakers this weekend, and not have to wait four days for online-order shipping.

Does anyone know of a retailer (Home Depot, Target, Michael's, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Checker Auto, etc.) that carries grill cloth? I like to recover two speakers this weekend, and not have to wait four days for online-order shipping.

I don't know what the names of any specific stores in your area would be, but I've bought speaker cloth of a perfectly decent quality at the fabric store. I imagine you'd have no problem finding the same thing in you neck o' th' woods.

I'm actually making new grills for my EPI 100's at the moment. When I got them they had none and last year I made some using grill cloth from the fabric shop. They turned out just fine, but recently I got some used grills from larger EPI's of the same era as my 100's with exactly the right fabric. I'm going to cut that off and re-use it and then the speakers will be just about as good as it gets.

I agree with the previous poster. While its important to find a fabric that isn't too heavy and absorbent, there isn't any miracle fabric that has no effect on the sound, and manufacturers aren't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on grill cloth (if there was any such thing don't you think someone would be selling it as an upgrade?). If the fabric you find looks like the original and you can see through it, its probably about as good. If you are nervous about it, buy a yard, and check to see how different it is than without. If its not what you want, you will have blown several bucks, and you can always run the speakers without grills, and put them on only to protect them.
What you really want to is find the last several yards on a roll in the discount section. I found an almost perfect match for Dynaco's cloth and for under 10 bucks bought enough to regrill 7 or 8 speakers including a pair of Dahlquist DQ 10s, which take a yard each, and dominate your room less in off white than in black.

When I wanted to re-do the grills on my Polk 7Bs, I found some cloth at Wal-Mart that looked exactly like it. So you might try there.

Wally World Burlap-could do it?

I will second chiliwolf's suggestion, Recently at Walmart,I saw,in the crafts section, bolts of burlap fabric. Reasonably priced, very open weave,black,off-white,maybe other colors too.Since all WM are pretty much identical,this could be a quick fix. Lots of other stuff in crafts dept too- adhesives, velcro, hot glue,shiny beads,who knows? willhowl:yes:

Check out the speaker cloth at Midwest Speaker in St. Paul. You'll have to wait until Monday when they open though...........

Joanne's Fabrics is where I get mine.

I imagine they are a chain since I see them all over California. Just ask.

You definitely can get black speaker cloth at JoAnne's. I'm not sure if every location always has it in stock, though.

I second the acoustex cloth. Very good quality but expensive. Almost 50 colors
My orders come within 1 week

I buy it at JoAnn Fabrics. They have speaker fabric. The only catch is they only have black. It works for me beacause all my speakers had black grill cloth.

Very reasonable compared to other sources.

I've re-done three sets of speakers with great results.

Jo-Ann Fabrics sells pretty nice speaker cloth, as long as you don't mind black. It's a bit pricey though ($10/yard, from what I recall).

I bought some black shear cloth at WalMart, might be too shear for some. It was something like a buck a running yard. It is so shear that I am thinking of overlaying it on my Large Advents simply because I prefer black grill cloth over the original. It will be removable however. You might want to try WalMarts for quick inexpensive choices.

JoAnne Fabrics was the ticket. A number of options (especially in black, as some suggested). A slightly thicker fabric helped slightly tame the bright JBL 216A's I picked up at a garage sale this weekend. (note: you don't have to buy a full yard of fabric at a time - who knew? not me - and, so, covering a pair of bookshelf speakers cost less than $3.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

JoAnne Fabrics was the ticket. A number of options (especially in black, as some suggested). A slightly thicker fabric helped tame the bright JBL 216A's I picked up at a garage sale this weekend. (note: you don't have to buy a full yard of fabric at a time - who knew? not me - and, so, covering a pair of bookshelf speakers cost less than $3.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
JoAnne did the job for me as well, lots of possibilities...

Back
Top Bottom