Speaker Match for Technics SA-202

Teddy White

Hello, new member here.

My wife recently surprised me with this receiver (and a SL-B2 tt) as an Anniversary present. I am completely new to this field, and would appreciate any advice on speaker pairing. Bookshelf size a necessity due to space constraints (and animals who would undoubtedly use floor speakers as scratching posts). Budget: $300 (or less, of course).

Thank you!

Hsu Research HB-1MK2 is a high efficiency (i.e. plays loud with only a few watts) bookshelf model that can be matched with one of their outstanding subwoofers. $139 each (direct to consumer business model). Check out the reviews.

No inexpensive bookshelf speaker will provide the bass notes like a subwoofer does. The subwoofer can be added when budget and floor space become available.

www.hsuresearch.com

SA-2025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
I am -- FWIW -- not a big fan of that era of Technics receivers (although they look fairly nice)... but it was nice of your wife to get you one as a surprise! :)

The SA-202 is rather low powered (30 wpc, per link below) relative to much of the late 1970s solid state hardware and, IMO/IME that line of Technics receivers were also kind of thin sounding. They're also rather flimsily built and not too impressive inside.

http://www.vintagetechnics.audio/sh...2OiJzYS0yMDIiO2k6MTtzOjk6InJlY2VpdmVycyI7fQ==

"For best results" a moderately sensitive (rated in the high 80s dB SPL at 1 meter distance for an input of 1 watt into an 8 ohm load) and "warmer" sounding loudspeaker model would be where I'd go for an SA-202.

A recommendation? ;)

Well -- vintage or new? New, I cannot offer much, except to say that many folks really like the new ELAC B5 or B6 models. They're a little less sensitive than optimal for an SA-202, though. They're said to sound very good, and the prices are very right.

Vintage? Well -- there are zillions of choices at all price points (just as is the case in new loudspeakers). What'll be common (if anything) in your neck of the woods is hard (impossible) for me to guess. That being said, there are a bunch of stalwarts with which it would be hard to go wrong (assuming they were in good cosmetic & working order and the price were right). Perhaps a pair of any of these?

* EPI 100 (or other family members of about that size/price)
* Dynaco A-25
* Polk Audio Monitor 7 family members
* ads L-710

EDIT: One nice thing about some versions of the ads L-710: perforated metal grilles! Quite kitteh-resistant. We used a pair in the family room of our erstwhile home in MA for some time for just that reason. ;)

Last edited:
Hsu Research HB-1MK2 is a high efficiency (i.e. plays loud with only a few watts) bookshelf model that can be matched with one of their outstanding subwoofers. $139 each (direct to consumer business model). Check out the reviews.

No inexpensive bookshelf speaker will provide the bass notes like a subwoofer does. The subwoofer can be added when budget and floor space become available.

www.hsuresearch.com
SA-2025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
I am -- FWIW -- not a big fan of that era of Technics receivers (although they look fairly nice)... but it was nice of your wife to get you one as a surprise! :)

The SA-202 is rather low powered (30 wpc, per link below) relative to much of the late 1970s solid state hardware and, IMO/IME that line of Technics receivers were also kind of thin sounding. They're also rather flimsily built and not too impressive inside.

http://www.vintagetechnics.audio/sh...2OiJzYS0yMDIiO2k6MTtzOjk6InJlY2VpdmVycyI7fQ==

"For best results" a moderately sensitive (rated in the high 80s dB SPL at 1 meter distance for an input of 1 watt into an 8 ohm load) and "warmer" sounding loudspeaker model would be where I'd go for an SA-202.

A recommendation? ;)

Well -- vintage or new? New, I cannot offer much, except to say that many folks really like the new ELAC B5 or B6 models. They're a little less sensitive than optimal for an SA-202, though. They're said to sound very good, and the prices are very right.

Vintage? Well -- there are zillions of choices at all price points (just as is the case in new loudspeakers). What'll be common (if anything) in your neck of the woods is hard (impossible) for me to guess. That being said, there are a bunch of stalwarts with which it would be hard to go wrong (assuming they were in good cosmetic & working order and the price were right). Perhaps a pair of any of these?

* EPI 100 (or other family members of about that size/price)
* Dynaco A-25
* Polk Audio Monitor 7 family members
* ads L-710

EDIT: One nice thing about some versions of the ads L-710: perforated metal grilles! Quite kitteh-resistant. We used a pair in the family room of our erstwhile home in MA for some time for just that reason. ;)

Didn't mean to quote the earlier responses (doesn't this site allow you to delete mistakes like that?), just to thank them. I know next to nothing about Technics, even though I think I had one of their low-end receivers for a couple of years in the late 80s. I did have a Yamaha RX-450 (the now defunct shop where I bought it billed it as the best $200 receiver in the world, back in 1992) receiver for 15 years, paired with HD9 Boston Acoustics. Sadly missed, both of them.

The Hsu Research speakers look interesting. How necessary is a subwoofer? I listen to mostly classical and acoustic music.

As for the availability of vintage gear, I live in the Research Triangle area in North Carolina, which has tons of thrift stores & flea markets. After the 1st of the year, I'll start hunting.

Didn't mean to quote the earlier responses (doesn't this site allow you to delete mistakes like that?), just to thank them. I know next to nothing about Technics, even though I think I had one of their low-end receivers for a couple of years in the late 80s. I did have a Yamaha RX-450 (the now defunct shop where I bought it billed it as the best $200 receiver in the world, back in 1992) receiver for 15 years, paired with HD9 Boston Acoustics. Sadly missed, both of them.

The Hsu Research speakers look interesting. How necessary is a subwoofer? I listen to mostly classical and acoustic music.

As for the availability of vintage gear, I live in the Research Triangle area in North Carolina, which has tons of thrift stores & flea markets. After the 1st of the year, I'll start hunting.

Not at all. A decent quality bookshelf unit, like are avail from Polk, will do just fine without a sub for that kind of music.

After hearing the Elacs after reading the rather breathless reviews I was fairly underwhelmed with them. They sound just fine but not like I expected after the reviews. And they are supremely ugly.

Looking around this site, I see several threads which mention the Dayton Audio B652 speakers. $39 or less a pair. I realize this is all subjective, but right now, I am playing the Technics through a pair of Onkyo speakers which came with the Onkyo CR-445 CD Receiver I've had for the past few years. So would the Daytons be an improvement? It's hard to argue with that price, but I can't help but wonder if you get what you pay for.

The Dayton B652Air would be a big step up. Excellent tweeter, for classical and folk music. And, No, a sub woofer would not be necessary but ultimately will produce better music.

The Dayton B652Air would be a big step up. Excellent tweeter, for classical and folk music. And, No, a sub woofer would not be necessary but ultimately will produce better music.
Thank you! One last question: how difficult is it to install a subwoofer on an older receiver such as mine?

I am not familiar with the SA - 202. Check the back of the receiver. Some have a "sub out" connection. Most sub woofers allow you to "feed" the sub woofer from the speaker outputs, then redirect the feed to the speakers.

Just outputs for the main & remote stereo speakers, I'm afraid. I'm not too worried about it. I actually have too much bass coming from these generic Onkyo speakers in this tiny bedroom. The volume knob on the SA-202 has yet to go over 2, and even that is usually too loud.

Thank you! One last question: how difficult is it to install a subwoofer on an older receiver such as mine?

Bit of a cabling mess, but very doable. Look for a sub with a high-level (or speaker) input feature. The idea is you run your L and R speaker outputs from the receiver directly to the sub's speaker inputs where the signals are split into low frequency which the sub's amp boosts and outputs and the remaining (higher frequency) signals which are then sent on to your speakers. Works like a charm, but depending on room configuration (doorways, furniture, etc.) it can result in speaker cables crossing from receiver to sub and back again in their search for a loudspeaker to drive.

Bit of a cabling mess, but very doable. Look for a sub with a high-level (or speaker) input feature. The idea is you run your L and R speaker outputs from the receiver directly to the sub's speaker inputs where the signals are split into low frequency which the sub's amp boosts and outputs and the remaining (higher frequency) signals which are then sent on to your speakers. Works like a charm, but depending on room configuration (doorways, furniture, etc.) it can result in speaker cables crossing from receiver to sub and back again in their search for a loudspeaker to drive.
Thank you!

Update: saw a pair of Boston Acoustic CR6's listed online for less than $50 total (shipping was 60%). Why not? Arrived today. For now, they'll be fine. Will probably upgrade at some point in the near future to one of the suggestions listed above, or something I find around town.

It's a start.

You need high sensitivity speakers.

You need to listen to speakers in your room to hear if it sounds good or not.

At your budget, the elacs are a great choice.

Or, you could get some Technics SB-F3 and go from there :)

Plan a sub in the near future. Plan in 500 or more bucks.

A usb measurment mic is 70 bucks or so, a smart investment

Last edited:
You need high sensitivity speakers.

You need to listen to speakers in your room to hear if it sounds good or not.

At your budget, the elacs are a great choice.

Or, you could get some Technics SB-F3 and go from there :)

Plan a sub in the near future. Plan in 500 or more bucks.

A usb measurment mic is 70 bucks or so, a smart investment

The Elacs are rated 87db and 6 ohm so they would not be the best choice for a low wattage unit like the one above. While they would certainly work fine, there are other speakers that would be better.

The Polk RTiA1 would be a better choice IMO. 89db sensitive @ 8ohm, superb sound AND they are not searingly ugly like the Elacs.......and they are on sale right now for $197 a pair. At that price with real hardwood veneer AND superb sound (buddy just got a set that he got after returning the Elacs) they are an awesome buy.

747192118389_hero.png

747192118389_back_studio.png

747192118389_front_studio.png

The Polks are definitely a good choice! Another beauty is the Dayton B652 Air speakers, they have a great sound and you can pick up a sub woofer later if you wish. Also, Dayton now has a small tower system called the T652 Air which will give you deeper bass. Only $125 a pair.

Klipsch R14 could also be in the running, small, efficient.

Good luck!

Thanks to all! Actually I like these Boston's. Someone on another thread recently listed them as a good cheap speaker. My initial impression is to agree...but at the moment I'm auditioning a Technics CDC SL-PD688. Thrift store find. Actually works...so far. Fingers crossed...

Back
Top Bottom