speaker / sub ?

orsen

Jukebox Hero
Subscriber
right now i have a sub connected to some kef 104/2
i am using the speaker level inputs and and output
my pre has an rca out for the sub,[ not adjustable] will it sound different?

It depends on your sub. Many people (Including myself until recently) think if we use the speaker in and out jacks to feed the main speakers that a high pass filter cuts off the bass to them, usually at about 80 hz. I have discovered that very few subs include a high pass filter, so the main speakers typically output full range.

Using the sub out jack with limited bass management (just a fixed or variable low pass filter) results in the same scenario. It may sound different however because the stereo-mono blending is done at the speaker outputs and not in the preamp stage. Try it both ways.

If your sub has no high pass filter, you may be able to use use one of these speaker level units with your main speakers. https://www.parts-express.com/80-hz-high-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-458. It should have the same effect as a sub with a high pass filter.

you need a sub with 104/2? sheesh!

The cleaner signal will be the subwoofer output from the preamp. I shy away from the speaker level connections on the backs of subs because they pick up noise from the plate amps.

the idea was/is to save the 104 woofers by not having them do all the work
sub is velodyne will have to find the manual

from the manual

(6) HIGH PASS CROSSOVER Switch
This switch selects the frequency for the high pass crossover. This crossover is functional
on both line and speaker-level outputs. Smaller speakers with limited low frequency output
may perform better using the higher 100 Hz setting that will reduce the low frequencies sent
to them. Larger speakers with greater low frequency output may be able to handle the 80
Hz setting without strain.

so it looks like i can reduce the load on the 104 :)
thanks for the input

Since you have 2 subs with a high pass filter (I suggest setting it to 80 hz) by using one sub for each speaker with the speaker connections, you avoid using the stereo-mono blending circuit in the sub. I know it is supposed to only blend the bass, but it may be blending into the higher frequencies as well as having other undesirable effects.

Back
Top Bottom