Speaker suggestion for HH Scott 299b

I don't live far from you (Beaverton) I have Klipsch Forte 2's with my 399 receiver. The 399 has the 299B amp and the 330C tuner mated together for Scotts' first receiver. With care you can sometimes find Forte's in your price range. Others like the Altecs are way over your stated budget. Based on what I have read many people like the Dynaco A-25's which should be in your range. If you are on the edge about the Klipsch speakers we can arrange for you to hear them

I might take you up on an audition of the Forte's, as I am curious.

I have a set of A-25's paired with my Sansui 4000 in another room. At some point I'll probably drag them downstairs to try with the Scott. Right now, I'm really enjoying the KLH Model 6's with it.

I'm lucky enough to have Teles but you might like RCA. One tube that gets a lot of praise is the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. You might want to check with Jim McShane about those.

I ran RCA 12AU7's in the input section of my EL34-based amp and they definitely helped out my mids, which was lacking. I'll look into the Sovteks, as I've not heard much about their 12AX7's.

I have a Scott 299A in great shape I am looking to pair with efficient and synergistic speakers. So Model 6, A-200, KG-4. Heresey, and A-25's are a sort of top 5 in this price range ? I have read most AR speakers of this era are not efficient ? Any other possibilities to look at ? I listen to mostly 60-70's Rock, Jazz, and Vocals.

Last edited:
I have a Scott 299A in great shape I am looking to pair with efficient and synergistic speakers. So Model 6, A-200, KG-4. Heresey, and A-25's are a sort of top 5 in this price range ? I have read most AR speakers of this era are not efficient ?

A couple of things:

DEMO, DEMO & DEMO if you can and that way you can let YOUR ears be the deciding factor.

Seeing that AR's of that era were designed to work with the amplification of the day (tubed) I would guess they're quite efficient when paired with a tube amp. Rock & Roll and Solid State hadn't arrived on the scene so most people weren't "cranking"

This is me just guessing but AR was based in Cambridge, MA and HH Scott was down the road, so to say, in Maynard, MA. It wouldn't surprise me if the audio & speaker engineers didn't run in the same professional circles and exchange ideas.

This link you might find interesting regarding AR speakers.

http://www.vintage-speaker-review.com/2012/03/acoustic-research-ar-4xa.html

If you can find them and they're pretty common early KLH 6's would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom