Speaker Surrounds - Best source?

jdangel38

Pocket Aces
Hi all,
So it seems that MAT Electronics has closed.
Previously, my good friend has purchased the majority of his speaker surrounds through them.
Does anyone know of another good source that's also reasonably priced?

I'm familiar with Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, etc.;
I'm hoping to find some other option that I don't know about and has reasonable pricing on
a wide variety of speaker surrounds.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I've had good luck with Springfield Speaker Repair. Simply Speakers are ok too, though I don't care for their adhesive, it's too runny. I have a set coming from Midwest Speaker for some JBL J520M's, I'll let you know how they are. Lots of people here swear by Rick Cobb's surrounds but I haven't has the opportunity to try his out yet.

My primary supplier has been Simply Speakers, their surrounds are very good and they typically ship same-day. Also, the adhesive that they send dries fast, which is a plus for me.

I've used Springfield Speaker also, not as happy with their surrounds, just sent a pair back that were very flimsy (IMO) and didn't fit the JBLs that they were spec'ed for, the Simply Speakers surround matched very well in density, thickness, dimensions, and even color. I do like the brush that Springfield sends with their adhesive though.

I read here that Rick Cobb / looneytunes also has very good surrounds and I would like to try his, he just didn't have what I needed this time (next time probably).

My primary supplier has been Simply Speakers, their surrounds are very good and they typically ship same-day. Also, the adhesive that they send dries fast, which is a plus for me.

I've used Springfield Speaker also, not as happy with their surrounds, just sent a pair back that were very flimsy (IMO) and didn't fit the JBLs that they were spec'ed for, the Simply Speakers surround matched very well in density, thickness, dimensions, and even color. I do like the brush that Springfield sends with their adhesive though.

I read here that Rick Cobb / looneytunes also has very good surrounds and I would like to try his, he just didn't have what I needed this time (next time probably).

It's funny, I had to trim the ones from SS, but the ones I bought from SSR fit perfectly. Rick hasn't had any of the ones I needed in stock either.

In my last JBL job I found SSR to have great 127H-1 surrounds, but the 128H-1 were flimsy black things that didn't fit the cone, ... looked like a generic 12" surround. SS had the 128H-1 in a dark-gray like original, fit better than any surrounds I've seen, had the right roll, thicker and denser and more like the original JBL (the original ones were still in decent shape, to the point that I was able to pull/peel the surround in 1-piece from the frame so I had a good comparison).

I'm not sure that any one place has all of the surrounds, nor that most people really care if they're exact as long as they can get their speakers running again. I'll make a guess that most surrounds go on speakers that were purchased very cheap with rotted surrounds, and the buyer doesn't really know what the originals were like (nor care because the investment is minimal).

The good is that most any surround will get your speakers running again, and the difference between a perfect/original and a marginal / generic re-foam is at most minimal and difficult to measure in performance.

The bad for those OCD among us is that there is a difference.

I used to get them from M-Sound (?) but they/he are no longer around. The communication and technical expertise was fantastic. I tried Simply Speakers and was not that impressed. Nothing wrong with the surrounds, just too expensive when all I got was the surrounds and a page of instructions, Not even a bottle of glue.

At this point I too would vote for Rick Cobb.

I got some Boston Acoustic surrounds from him a few years ago and was very pleased with what I received, the results and the price. On Saturday I am picking up some more BA surrounds I ordered from him. Perusing his website makes me think he has greater insight into what surrounds are the best for certain speakers and should the need arise again, regardless of speaker brand, I will go there first.

Best, by a wide margin, is Rick Cobb. Superb products, good prices, fantastic service.
At this point, I'd use none other for a "serious" re-surrounding job (i.e., on loudspeakers I care about).

I didn't know MAT closed! I would also be interested in a source for BULK foam surrounds.
I like to buy from Rick for good speakers. Not all speakers are worth the $20 or so for surrounds, but could benefit from a $2 surround.

I didn't know MAT closed! I would also be interested in a source for BULK foam surrounds.
I like to buy from Rick for good speakers. Not all speakers are worth the $20 or so for surrounds, but could benefit from a $2 surround.

Does rick have a website, or only sell through Ebay?

I just got in the set for my JBL J520M's from Midwest Speaker. They are a bit thicker than some of the other surrounds I've bought, and the fit is really good. I like that I didn't have to trim them at all, even the spots for the screw holes. The adhesive looks like stock white Elmers glue though. I'll use the glue that came with the last set I bought from Springfield Speaker Repair, since I still have quite a bit left.

I just got in the set for my JBL J520M's from Midwest Speaker. They are a bit thicker than some of the other surrounds I've bought, and the fit is really good. I like that I didn't have to trim them at all, even the spots for the screw holes. The adhesive looks like stock white Elmers glue though. I'll use the glue that came with the last set I bought from Springfield Speaker Repair, since I still have quite a bit left.

For future reference, you shouldn't need to buy the glue from Midwest Speaker. IOW, they'll sell you just the surrounds, and it's cheaper that way.

That was all I saw on Ebay, and they were only $15 so I wasn't too out of pocket. But thanks for the heads up, I'll look for that next time. FYI, gluing the JBL foam to the back of the cone is a PITA. Especially on this little 5" woofer.

Still looking for a speaker surround supplier, preferably a wholesaler. I was familiar with all sources except Rick Cobb.
While he does sell a great product, i'm looking for much lower prices on surrounds.

Anyone know of a wholesaler? I tried one but have not heard back.

Ebay vendor uneeksupply foams have the same dimensions as the old MAT electronics ones I have sitting around (at least for the 8" & 10" foams). Not as cheap as MAT electronics but there is no minimum order required.

No affiliation.

Back
Top Bottom