Speaker wiring

What's the story on that old console unit?

Mums the word. I don't want to Jack the thread but I think OPs good with his 4 of everything haha

Well my boss wanted to see if I could find what failed inside. It turned out that it would cost more to find the correct parts and then have myself or my neighbor install the replacements. My boss didn't want to go that route so he just left it with us to do whatever we wanted.

I had learned about stripping them bare and doing a sort of restomod. Most people put modern components that were hidden and the variety was vast. The number of different consoles that are around now and purchased relatively cheap screamed at me try.

The console holds my heavy stereo eq on its solid wood frame. It is purely a place to put my gear. I however can place speakers behind the clothes if I want. If I decide to move onto a more invasive console design then I can sell this....no harm no foul.

It's pretty sturdy I'd say after having stacked two rows 3 high. The next console I get I want to actually integrate my stereo eq into it. It will be able to close up and be hidden. All the while being a piece of furniture but all people don't have any interest in the idea. To each their own.

Attachments

• IMAG1294.jpg
    IMAG1294.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 23
You are powering 2 channels, and also trying to "bridge amp" a third speaker across already implemented circuits. Basically you are creating a wierd mono speker short circuit something.

Do not do that. It will not only sound terrible, it will kill your amp sooner than later.

Just because you can plug something in doesn't mean its a good idea. A frend had something like this going on, one channel died so he simply hooked up all 5 speakers / sattelite mix to one channel, random.

Worked great - for a week.
Wrong... it's nothing more then wiring them in parallel..Both A&B terminals are already bridged..

What's being done here is connecting the third speakers in parallel. The amp's A and B connections are usually a parallel arrangement internally. So 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers would present a 4 ohm load to the amp if played at the same time. Adding this third speaker would further reduce the impedance to under 4 ohms. If any of those speakers are, say, 4 ohms already, then the amp would see less than 4 ohms before adding in the third speaker. You're putting quite a load on the amp. Less impedance is harder to drive, and that amp is pretty old.

As long as you keep it to moderate levels, and the amp doesn't heat up, it should be okay. Klipsch tend to be really sensitive to begin with, which would help. Personally I don't see the point in doing this, however. It will mess with the sound staging/imaging. I've played 2 sets of speakers at once in my set up and it doesn't sound as good as a single pair. A third pair would further muddy the imaging.
Doesn't muddy up anything sound is crystal clear and better then just one set of speakers..

I personally don't understand why this would be a desirable arrangement - especially when compared to setting up a matched pair of loudspeakers properly. As it is now, all sound emanates from a common area, eliminating entirely the ability to create a stereo soundstage.

Is there some reason that setting up your pair of speakers in a traditional arrangement is not possible?

I personally don't understand why this would be a desirable arrangement - especially when compared to setting up a matched pair of loudspeakers properly. As it is now, all sound emanates from a common area, eliminating entirely the ability to create a stereo soundstage.

Is there some reason that setting up your pair of speakers in a traditional arrangement is not possible?
Just experimenting that's all trying to get the best sound I can..I removed the top speaker and I'm just running the bottom pair for now..

Doesn't muddy up anything sound is crystal clear and better then just one set of speakers..

Okay, perhaps it works out better in your room and system. In mine, having two point sources for the left channel and right channel create a double image that only detracts.

Just experimenting that's all trying to get the best sound I can..I removed the top speaker and I'm just running the bottom pair for now..

Try placing one speaker on each side inverted and stacked on the other. Some like the resulting sound. Stacking Advents this way is not uncommon. IME this type of setup produces better imaging and a more spacious soundstage than placing speakers side by side.

Just get a box. Cheap, simple, and you won't blow anything up. You're not on Myth Busters.

If you wish to drive more speakers than your amp/receiver was intended to drive, do yourself (and your amp/receiver) a favor and get a speaker selector with a built-in protection circuit.

As others have pointed out, the more speakers you drive in parallel, the lower the impedance your amp/receiver sees, and the lower the impedance, the higher the current draw on the amp/receiver.

A properly designed speaker selector will have a protection circuit with some large wire wound resistors that bump the impedance back up in the range that will be safe for your amp/receiver. Adcom, one of the manufacturers of these devices refers to this as Minimum Impedance Protection, which is exactly what it is.

Speaker selectors, with protection circuits are available new from several manufactures. Niles is the most well known. They have been making these devices for decades. New prices for Niles speaker selectors start at about $100. There are cheaper brands (Monoprice, Pyle, etc.) that start at about $30 - $35, but if you want to save some money, watch for them to show up at your local Goodwill store.

A ton of these were sold back in the 1990s when the "whole house" sound system became a big thing. I see Niles speaker selectors at my local Goodwill all the time for $4 - $6. I just picked up an older model Niles SPS-1 this past weekend for $3.99 at my local Goodwill store. I like the look (walnut cheeks) and build quality of this older model:

rzopr1lw6l4xuhkvtk81.jpg

The newer, low profile Niles SS-4 is the one I most often see at my local Goodwill stores:

x190SS4-f.jpeg

There are more elaborate models that include individual volume controls for each pair of speakers (so you can match the volume of speakers with different efficiencies), but I rarely see these at Goodwill.

At the very least, if you are going to run more than two pairs of speakers in parallel, get one of the basic models with the built-in protection circuit.
Tryed those and they cut down on the signal and makes everything sound bad to my ears..

You can make any kind of hookup you like, and you probably will, but what you are doing is not recommended, no matter how good it sounds to you.
Ya well I just did it again and it sounded great to me and my friends..as far as sound imaging go's who's imagining it anyway?Every AC/DC concert I ever saw (which was eight times )had two walls of Marshall stacks one left one right and they rocked every band I ever heard out of existence..

Sorry to burst your bubble but it was the PA System you was listening to,the stacks on stage tend to be un miked props.
It is a stage show after all.
I saw Van Halen in 1980 at Manchester Apollo,so Diamond Dave had more space to throw a few moves there was no backline on stage, Geddy Lees' backline consists of washing machines,I bet that rocked the 21,000 in Manchester Arena.
As far as imaging goes PA Systems, and monitors in are mono.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it was the PA System you was listening to,the stacks on stage tend to be un miked props.
I saw Van Halen in 1980 at Manchester Apollo,so Diamond Dave had more space to throw a few moves there was no backline on stage, Geddy Lees' backline consists of washing machines,I bet that rocked the 21,000 in Manchester Arena.
Wrong..I was right next to the right side stacks at their back in black tour around 1980 and I could feel my guts rumbling..

I also saw rush a few times in the early 80s and they sounded pretty bad as I recall..your right about the pa system now a days but back then it was the real deal now a days I think most of this stuff is pre recorded and fake sounding..

"Wrong..I was right next to the right side stacks at their back in black tour around 1980 and I could feel my guts rumbling.."

I have felt that phenomenon myself,though I do eat a lot of spicy food.

Of course some of the boxes will be miked up but not many,if your stomach did rumble,and if it wasn't due to a gastronomic crisis you are feeling the effects of the bass.
As is suggested when setting up home surround sound the sub can be positioned anywhere as LFE is omnidirectional.
I was talking to the sound man in Manchester Arena during a sound check and I asked why the sound was so "dry".The answer was given that soon there will be 20,000 mobile baffles in the room soaking up the sound and mellowing it.
The punch in your stomach that you feel from the bass is nothing of the sort,again explained by the sound man,The LFE enters your body from ALL directions.Your lungs are hollow and can offer no resistance,The LFE partially collapses your lungs which in turn lifts your diaphragm,a sonic Heimlich Maneuver if you will.
Brian Johnson did not stuff up his ears due to on stage sound,he did it by flogging race cars around a track without hearing protection.
I have stood at the side of a stage and you can hold a conversation,indeed how many times have you watched a band and seen them talking to each other?
Often I should think.
Bass players can suffer hearing loss due to standing too close to the drummer,some of them now play inside a plastic box to protect the other people on stage.
Tinnitus cannot be cured and many have taken their life because of it.I can assure you,the sound from the stacks,is not what you think.
Think of the law suits generated from audience members if every one of those boxes was plugged in.

Since two channel is " almost as bad" as 1 channel basically - compared to something like 7.1 setup with proper content...

Have fun!

If what you want is a "wall of sound" coming from one area and bouncing around - you have achieved it! No "normal" people today would even realize the difference to two channel, as eveyone has two speakers, but they are randomly placed wherever there is space, and they never ever sit in the sweet spot. They don't even know what a sweet spot is. Its really a problem - thats what it is :)

You setup probably sounds better.

Back
Top Bottom