Speakerlab4's or ADS L-730's

will d

I've toying with a decision here. I'm considering going 2.1 in the living room. As of now i'm running all ADS in a 5.2 configuration there. I've got a chance to buy a pair of ADS L-730's, which would replace my L-780's in the 5.2 Setup. But a friend is selling his completely rebuilt speakerlab 4's for about the same price as the L-730's. If I were to buy the 4's, I would eliminate the ADS center, fronts and rears, and possibly one of the two subwoofers. As of now I use a pair of L-7802's as fronts and a L-570 on its side as a center, and a pair of L-300e's as rears. If I buy the L-730's I could use a L-780 series 1 that's in storage ( it's a single I bought some time ago ) for a center channel instead of the L-570, which is one of a pair. You see my L-7802's are factory black, as are my L-570's. And of course the L-300e's are black. But my single L780 series 1 speaker is a wood cabinet, and the L-730's i'm looking at are also wood and also outboard fused. But the L-730's have the newer screw down terminal's that will accept larger speaker wires with the fuses next to those. Where as, the single L-780 has the older spring clips ( push down ) with the fuses along side of those. But if I buy the 4's I would just use those. And with my parasound 1205a and avc1800 I can run 5 channel or two. My quagmire is, my friend has had many audiophile speakers including ADS, but he swears to me that I would love the 4's as he has just finished rebuilding a pair of speakerlab 6's and is selling his 4's. So any thoughts on these scenarios? I love ADS speakers so I am leaning towards the L-730's. But I might let him bring his 4's here to my listening environment and give them a listen. Decision's decision's. So many speakers so little time. I'm getting old, and as Jimi Hendrix sang; I WANNA HEAR AND SEE EVERYTHING :) Will D.

I've toying with a decision here. I'm considering going 2.1 in the living room. As of now i'm running all ADS in a 5.2 configuration there. I've got a chance to buy a pair of ADS L-730's, which would replace my L-780's in the 5.2 Setup. But a friend is selling his completely rebuilt speakerlab 4's for about the same price as the L-730's. If I were to buy the 4's, I would eliminate the ADS center, fronts and rears, and possibly one of the two subwoofers. As of now I use a pair of L-7802's as fronts and a L-570 on its side as a center, and a pair of L-300e's as rears. If I buy the L-730's I could use a L-780 series 1 that's in storage ( it's a single I bought some time ago ) for a center channel instead of the L-570, which is one of a pair. You see my L-7802's are factory black, as are my L-570's. And of course the L-300e's are black. But my single L780 series 1 speaker is a wood cabinet, and the L-730's i'm looking at are also wood and also outboard fused. But the L-730's have the newer screw down terminal's that will accept larger speaker wires with the fuses next to those. Where as, the single L-780 has the older spring clips ( push down ) with the fuses along side of those. But if I buy the 4's I would just use those. And with my parasound 1205a and avc1800 I can run 5 channel or two. My quagmire is, my friend has had many audiophile speakers including ADS, but he swears to me that I would love the 4's as he has just finished rebuilding a pair of speakerlab 6's and is selling his 4's. So any thoughts on these scenarios? I love ADS speakers so I am leaning towards the L-730's. But I might let him bring his 4's here to my listening environment and give them a listen. Decision's decision's. So many speakers so little time. I'm getting old, and as Jimi Hendrix sang; I WANNA HEAR AND SEE EVERYTHING :) Will D.

P.S. Of course I could run just the L-730's and eliminate the other ADS, but it is nice having the option to do both 5.2 or 2.2 as I'm using two sub's. But going 2.1 free's up alot of floor space. And now I do switch my preamp to two channel and listen to the L-7802's with my subwoofers, but i'm intrigued at the thought of the L-730's, as I once owned a pair of L-630's and sold them 4 years ago and wished I wouldn't have. Time will tell my friends. Will D.

I find your post a little confusing, but if you're asking if you will like the sound of the Speakerlab 4's my opinion would be yes. A well balanced speaker. Some do find the EV T35 tweeters overly bright. But overall a well balanced three way speaker with lot's of bass.

I have never spent any time with ADS speakers so I can offer no comparison in sound.

Jeez Willy-D, you're all over the board there. I'm not sure why one would replace a pair of L-780's with L-730's, unless the L-730s are in pristine shape and the 780's are not. The 780s were a minor forward move over the 730's. Speakers are like women - you could have a solid woman that knows her way around a gravy pan and is a demon in the sack, but the evolutionary call to spread your seed as widely as possible is a powerful one. Get the Speakerlab 4's - the L-780's wont take half of your stuff in the settlement.

730s have a 10" woofer and 780s have an 8" woofer.

According to historical documents the 730s go to 30hz and the 780s go to 40hz.

730s have a 10" woofer and 780s have an 8" woofer.

According to historical documents the 730s go to 30hz and the 780s go to 40hz.

I love the polite way of calling manufacturer pravda "historical documents", except for the fact that it makes me feel old as dirt. By those standards, my birth certificate would be ancient scripts.
If Will-D is concerned about that, the Speakerlabs would definitely be the way to go.

I love the polite way of calling manufacturer pravda "historical documents", except for the fact that it makes me feel old as dirt. By those standards, my birth certificate would be ancient scripts.
If Will-D is concerned about that, the Speakerlabs would definitely be the way to go.
Loinman, there's a set of 5 Onix speakers ( beautiful cabinets by the way ) and a cylindrical SVS subwoofer with a Denon in command receiver, all for $450.00. Being sold by a woman in Renton! It's posted on the site Offer Up. I don't think she knows what she has. Hell, that SVS sub probably cost more than $450.00, cause I went to the SVS website, and their really expensive. I don't have the cash. But if I did i'd buy that system and keep the sub and sell the rest for a profit!

Loinman, there's a set of 5 Onix speakers ( beautiful cabinets by the way ) and a cylindrical SVS subwoofer with a Denon in command receiver, all for $450.00. Being sold by a woman in Renton! It's posted on the site Offer Up. I don't think she knows what she has. Hell, that SVS sub probably cost more than $450.00, cause I went to the SVS website, and their really expensive. I don't have the cash. But if I did i'd buy that system and keep the sub and sell the rest for a profit!

The 4's are on craigslist, you know the guy, Eric.

will, I just set up my 710's with a RHLabs subwoofer I just restored and they sound fantastic.

I see that the Speakerlab 4's are still up on Craigslist, meaning Willy-D hasn't pulled the plug yet or went for the ADS L-730's.............

Speakerlab4.jpg

I see that the Speakerlab 4's are still up on Craigslist, meaning Willy-D hasn't pulled the plug yet or went for the ADS L-730's.............

View attachment 823581
The four's are being brought here Thursday. I've got fourteen ads in the house now and obviously I like them very much, but I want to try something different and we'll see. And the fact there's three rooms in this house, two of those all ads, the third is going to be the lab 4's in stereo mode only. I thought about what you said about the 780's being somewhat of an upgrade from the 730's and I decided to stick with my 780's. I like the fact the 730's have 10 inch woofers, but i've got two M&K subs now and the mx-70b is a little freakin beast. I sold my Klipsch I sold the paradigm reference speakers. So variety being the spice of life, it is what it is :) There's a song from the 70's by Pete Wingfield called I'm eighteen with a Bullet got my finger on the trigger i'm gonna pull it. ( BANG!!!!! ) I'll be 64 at the end of this month, and I just changed my 10 inch jl audio w3v3 in my trunk to two of them ( sweet ) and added Focal separate's to my door's, yea baby i'm pullin that trigger as much as I can while I still can. You might say, I'm a marksman. Go Hawks! W. D.

The four's are being brought here Thursday. I've got fourteen ads in the house now and obviously I like them very much, but I want to try something different and we'll see. And the fact there's three rooms in this house, two of those all ads, the third is going to be the lab 4's in stereo mode only. I thought about what you said about the 780's being somewhat of an upgrade from the 730's and I decided to stick with my 780's. I like the fact the 730's have 10 inch woofers, but i've got two M&K subs now and the mx-70b is a little freakin beast. I sold my Klipsch I sold the paradigm reference speakers. So variety being the spice of life, it is what it is :) There's a song from the 70's by Pete Wingfield called I'm eighteen with a Bullet got my finger on the trigger i'm gonna pull it. ( BANG!!!!! ) I'll be 64 at the end of this month, and I just changed my 10 inch jl audio w3v3 in my trunk to two of them ( sweet ) and added Focal separate's to my door's, yea baby i'm pullin that trigger as much as I can while I still can. You might say, I'm a marksman. Go Hawks! W. D.

For those sticklers out there, let me clarify, ADS L-780'2's. I just said L-780's didn't I? SHAME ON ME!

will, I just set up my 710's with a RHLabs subwoofer I just restored and they sound fantastic.
I bet they do. I loved my 810's many moons ago. But I read or was told the 710's were actually a better sounding speaker than the 810's because of less mid bass boom? Can't quite remember, but i'd like to get a pair of 710's someday, you never know. My ads door is always open. W.D.

I'm in full favor of the SPEAKERLABS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Ive owned ADS speakers since 1977 and currently have 14 in the house now, you might say I like them. I like trying different gear from time to time and it's another one of those times. Don't know what HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! is supposed to mean but it really doesn't matter. HOHOHOHO MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

I had Speakerlab 6's years ago and now am more of an ADS type of guy. I found the Speakerlab's to have well made drivers but the box is too small for the woofers and they are boomy. I never could generate any love for the EV horns. Let us know how your comparison ends up.
John

I had Speakerlab 6's years ago and now am more of an ADS type of guy. I found the Speakerlab's to have well made drivers but the box is too small for the woofers and they are boomy. I never could generate any love for the EV horns. Let us know how your comparison ends up.
John
Actually i'm keeping my ads l-7802's and my l-570's ( the 570's I bought new in 1985 and they are mint and they are going to be buried with me.) But I like to try different speakers from time to time and I have three rooms in the house to run three different systems, which are all ads at the moment. But their all 5 channel systems. The 4's are going to be 2 channel stereo with a parasound amp and preamp and my 1985 turntable that's been in storage since 1990. And if I don't like the 4's I'll sell em and move a pair of you know what in there. Anyway, thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Best regards, W.D.

Back
Top Bottom