Speakers arrived damaged, heart broken

cuda440

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been looking for a pair of Pioneer CS-R700s for over a year and I found some on ebay last week, in beautiful shape, so I snagged them right away.

They arrived Saturday and although the shipping boxes appeared undamaged, the contents were not. The shipper did a piss poor job of packing them - a couple of layers of bubble wrap, wrapped in cardboard, placed in non-heavy duty cardboard boxes, and some crumpled brown paper as filler. No additional bubble wrap, no peanuts, no foam insulation. I could feel the speakers rattling around in their boxes.

Opened them up and found both had at least one crushed corner. One speaker had something rattling around inside it which turned out to be the horn midrange's neck snapped in half.

Seller claims he's shipped lots of speakers with no problems, but I can't see how. I shipped a SX-737 a couple of months ago and used twice the bubble wrap and lined the box with 2" rigid foam. Arrived perfect.

At least the seller is going to refund everything.

So disappointed I could cry. :( What a waste.

Pictures below so you can cry too.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 325
That is real sad sir but, repairable.Some good epoxy may fix that broken horn and a little TLC on those corners and it should only cost you a fraction of the refund your getting, if you don't have to send the speakers back.

Looks like some dark areas on the broken piece and that may suggest an old hairline crack, add the bouncing and sudden drops of the box and you got busted horn.

I'm torn. If it was just the horn an epoxy fix would probably be just fine, but the corners are bad and nothing I would attempt to fix myself. I'm thinking about taking them to a furniture repair shop to see what they have to say.

The shame is the cabinets are in otherwise very nice shape and the grill covers are excellent.

Yeah, I understand, this is why I NEVER purchase speakers off eBay or any other site that you have to depend on someone that doesn't sell this type items for a living.

Shipping them correctly would cost as much as the speakers.
Sometimes you got to do what you gotta do, But:

I know, I know, but these guys just don't come up that often and certainly not in the terrific condition they were, so I took a chance.

It would have been so easy to just add a little more padding and they would have been fine.

This sucks. Sorry to hear of it. We wait for our sound equipment with great anticipation, yet people ruin it by being callous and not properly packing the devices. You will recover, but its lousy to go thru this.

I bought a pair of Magnepan MG-Is years ago on the 'bay (I was 16). Idiot wrapped them in 2 layers of cardboard and a thin layer of bubble wrap. They arrived with multiple punctures, destroyed. I never got my money back (didn't pay with PayPal - learned my lesson there). Feeling your pain.

What a shame, to waste perfectly good speakers like that.
At least you'll get a full refund ... still sad tho.

I'd try to fix them up.

Failing that, you have spare drivers if you need them. Just pack them away as a parts set.

The shipper did a piss poor job of packing them - a couple of layers of bubble wrap, wrapped in cardboard, placed in non-heavy duty cardboard boxes, and some crumpled brown paper as filler. No additional bubble wrap, no peanuts. I could feel the speakers rattling around in their boxes.
There is NOTHING in those sentences that should be used to package heavy units for shipping, Nothing!!

Peanuts crush under weight one time and are then useless.
Bubble wrap pops as it gets pressed and is useless after that.
Crumpled paper, nope not gonna let a heavy unit survive.

These needed to be surrounded with good foam, wrapped in cardboard and put into a box. Then another box with 2" of foam all the way around could be used to attempt a successful shipping experience. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself...but then you could just pick them up and drive em home which is even better but not feasible most of the time.

Sorry for your loss

I've been looking for a pair of Pioneer CS-R700s for over a year and I found some on ebay last week, in beautiful shape, so I snagged them right away.

They arrived Saturday and although the shipping boxes appeared undamaged, the contents were not. The shipper did a piss poor job of packing them - a couple of layers of bubble wrap, wrapped in cardboard, placed in non-heavy duty cardboard boxes, and some crumpled brown paper as filler. No additional bubble wrap, no peanuts, no foam insulation. I could feel the speakers rattling around in their boxes.

Opened them up and found both had at least one crushed corner. One speaker had something rattling around inside it which turned out to be the horn midrange's neck snapped in half.

Seller claims he's shipped lots of speakers with no problems, but I can't see how. I shipped a SX-737 a couple of months ago and used twice the bubble wrap and lined the box with 2" rigid foam. Arrived perfect.

At least the seller is going to refund everything.

So disappointed I could cry. :( What a waste.

Pictures below so you can cry too.

Damn !! That’s crazy & Sad. I own a set so the pain you feel is real. They don’t come up often for sale

DAMN those are trashed ! How could the horn snap off like that????

Not only was The packing bad, It looks as if they weren’t handled with any kind of care by the delivery company. The RS-700 are pretty heavy and the handler probably didn’t want any parts of actual “ Lifting them” up.

Not only was The packing bad, It looks as if they weren’t handled with any kind of care by the delivery company. The RS-700 are pretty heavy and the handler probably didn’t want any parts of actually “putting them down easily".
FIFY

????? No I meant what I wrote ( Putting them down easy) Is being kind. From the looks of it, The boxes were tossed, pushed, rolled and shoved around. In order to put them down “ more easily “ they first need to be picked up. I own these speakers & believe me I hate lifting them.

Oh ok but how do they receive a dent to the corners without being dropped from a bit? I'm guessing that is from rolling em down the stairs. And even higher g impact enough to break the horn?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom