Speakers for jazz

Joseph A. B.

Anyone have any recommendations for vintage speakers for listening to old school jazz. That would be late 30's, 40's 50's and early 60's. $200.00-$400.00 range? Thanks in advance.

Hi, Joseph, and welcome to AK!

Have you heard any speakers in the past that appealed to you?

Where do you live? Have any large cities near you where you might find audio clubs or sellers of used hifi gear?

Do you presently own any hifi gear?

GeeDeeEmm

Well, except for a one off Duke Ellington date from 1932 you won't have to worry much about stereo imaging. While I'm no expert I would think that recording technology of the day probably doesn't have the extension of more modern recordings. As someone who has listened to a lot of jazz from the '20's, '30's, and '40's, I'd say pick speakers that sound good on more recent recordings to you. They'll bring out the best of latter day recordings too.

Tons of choices in that range. I would look for the beat deals and audition if possible. Also although most wouldn't consider the 90s 'vintage' I think some of the best deals as far as price, condition, and sound come from that era. I have a pair of incredible speakers from the 90s in mint condition that I bought for less than 20 cents on the dollar.

I was going to respond to this thread when I first saw it but had just decided to shuffle some speakers into use. What did I shuffle in and why does it matter? A set of Magnepans that I haven't used in years. Diana Krall is here right now singing through them. You should be able to pick up an early pair cheap enough and still have money left for the materials to restring the tweeters and ends of the bass panel (should they need it). There is a pair nearby for over $100 less than your budget and they have been fixed already. Maybe consider some Klipsch Heresy or KG4s as well.

Great Inquiry Joseph and welcome to AK.

I recently picked up a big haul of speakers that included Electro Voice, Altec and JBL, all with horns. Using a nicely restored Dynaco St70 amp with each, Jazz sounded fantastic. I think the horns on them are a great match for jazz and jazz with vocals. Instruments sound like the instruments and as if you were there in front of the group. Unfortunately I have fond that it is hard to get into good horn speakers on a tight budget, but that doesn't mean you cant find something. Otherwise like posted above some of the Wharfedales and KLH are wonderful with jazz. AR too.

I have a pair of Bozak 302A speakers in a custom cabinet that is larger than the stock version. I am listening to Kind of Blue as I type. It has a very nice sound and is very sensitive (high SPL at low wattage). I own/have owned many of the speakers suggester above (except MMG). The Bozak speakers are head and shoulders above these suggested alternatives. A standout for $75/pair (June 2017 price @ garage sale). Be patient, hunt. The market for large speakers is, apparently, declining.

I like jazz late night at low levels on my vintage system consisting of Klipsch KG4s and a Pioneer SX-1250. All the above suggestions are also excellent IMHO. I also had Wharfedale W70Es that were also great with jazz. Since shipping speakers gets expensive, your choice will likely depend on what is available in your area if you want vintage.

Hey,

I mostly listen to the early jazz that you mentioned. I've been through many vintage speakers speakers and amplifiers for many years. It's actually a lot tougher to get right than you'd think. Out of the KLH, AR, Wharfedale, EV, Universities that I've owned and auditioned, none do as well as a properly updated pair of 3-way Bozaks. Why? Because of the aluminum cone, 6" B209B Bozak midrange. It's ability to bring forth vocals and horns is legendary. Exceptional depth, clarity and precision that you can hear within a few moments. I wouldn't suggest going any smaller than a pair of Rhapsodys, they're 2 cubic feet. The next step up are the B302A's, they're approximately 5 cubic feet. Yeah, a little on the large side. But all these fall within your price range. Which by the way, is darned important. Oh, and Bozaks are efficient. You can get what you need out of them easily with a 30 watt amp. Right now, I'm using a GAS Grandson amp that is rated at 40 watts. Bozaks are revealing, so you do need some decent amplification.

Biggles

I think the MMGs do many things very well, esp creating a sense of actual space - esp with great, modern recordings - but I think with such a concentration on older jazz, I'd also go with something more forgiving.

The already mentioned KLH 6s (or 17s or 23s) would be among my top recommendations. They lack a bit of detail to be sure, but they do an awful lot well and their weaknesses will not be accentuated with older program material.

KLH Model 6's great with old and new jazz alike. Figure 100-200 range plus another 50 or so for new caps and cloth surround sealer.

I'll second this recommendation for great sound at a very reasonable price. I like my Sixes a lot but love my Altec 604E's for jazz, blues, etc. However the Altecs are bigger (in cabinets), more expensive and harder to find than KLH Sixes.

Seems like we are all pointing in about the same directions. If you can find some of the nice aforementioned horns in your size and price point, go for it. If not, there are a few in the KLH, Wharfedale, realm that would be great. Remember you can always swap up to other speakers once they come along.

I am a big jazz listener and I love my Marantz Imperial 6s. I am driving them a 2220B and it is a really nice jazz combo.......smooth and warm sound.

I keep bangin' on about my speakers but I'm currently listening to a radio station called Jazz Radio London through my B&W DM2 MK2's fed by a Pioneer SX-1980.
Absolutely sublime!
Late night, low volume chilled jazz.....
Stonkingly good speakers for little wonga!!

Back
Top Bottom