Speakers for Low Wattage Tube Amp Tweakers

I've been on a quest for a reasonably affordable, great sounding pair of bookshelf speakers for my low watt hi-fi tube amps. I have several vintage single-ended and push-pull stereo power amps that I have converted into integrated amplifiers and they are all between 5 and 12 watts output, some 4 ohm and some 8 ohms output impedance. I have felt that each of these amps had the potential for greater sonic, well...greatness, were they paired with the right speakers.

Everything I read suggested as highly efficient and as closely matched impedance as possible, particularly for a low watt, single-ended amplifier. After running through a number of models, both vintage and modern from brands including Polk, Philips, Design Acoustics, AR and Klipsch, I have found the holy grail.

I will preface this recommendation with the caveat that I am not a lifetime audiophile with a highly trained ear, nor do I possess the sophisticated, vocabulary with which to describe the sonic qualities of these speakers. I can only say that I know what I like when I hear it, and to me these speakers sound great with any of my amps. In fact they sound so good and natural, you stop noticing the speaker and just immerse yourself in the music coming out of them. They are a game changer for my unsophisticated little hi-fi world anyway.

They are the Hsu HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker.

EpPLFET.jpg

And the best part of all is they were $370 shipped. I ordered them on Tuesday and received them on Thursday (In New Mexico).

These speakers have no doubt been mentioned, recommended and touted on this forum countless times before, perhaps even in association with low wattage tube amps, but I thought I'd throw in my .02 anyway.

Here are the specs:

Product At a Glance
Frequency response
60Hz – 20kHz +/- 2 dB
Sensitivity 92 dB / 1m / 2.83V in Half Space
Recommended Amplifier Power 10-250W RMS Per Channel
Woofer 61⁄2 Inch
Enclosure Type Vented ; 3⁄4” MDF
Recommended Impedance setting 8 ohms (BUT SOUND AWESOME AT 4 OHMS)
Enclosure Dimensions 153⁄8” H x 8” W x 8” D
Dimensions with Grill 153⁄8” H x 8” W x 8”5⁄8" D
Weight 14 lbs
Warranty 7-years
Designed and Engineered in the U.S.A.

Good lord, I can't stop listening to them.

Anyone else have an opinion on these? I'm using some Mission monitors that sound decent with my Scott 299a, but they are definitely not the Holy Grail. Many speaker recommendations for low powered tube amps seem to be boutique brands WAY out of my price range. Though they are readily available, I'm not a Klipsch fan.

"Holy Grail" is perhaps to strong a term, though the search has seemed endless at times. :music:. U2 works better I guess "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" $320 isn't cheap to me, but it's doable at some point. I have a small room and listen at relatively low volumes.

I have a pair of the MkI version of these and use them with my integrate tube amp that outputs 30 wpc. They sound good and work well in my small room. Are there better speakers out there? Definitely (that is how I came to get these speakers; they were my dad's but then he upgraded).

Edit: and I agree that this really should be in the speaker thread.

I have a small 12wpc ECL86 tubed Scott 200b amplifier that amazingly sounds best on the biggest speakers I have, a pr of JBL L-101's.

Re: speaker forum
Ok, but I'm looking for advice and commentary specifically from owners of tube amps about speakers for tube amps. 'Course I searched existing threads here and not there.

Speakers for tube amps? OK sure.

If it's a big tube amp, >50W really anything will work

If it's medium sized, 20-50W, something with reasonably high sensitivity, say over 90dB and a smooth impedance curve is a good bet

For low power, 10-20W, same as above but harder to match, and your speakers need to be more sensitive, or you need to tolerate some reduced volume

For flea power, there's two schools of thought.. full range drivers, like Fostex, or horns. I like both, though horns will get louder.

This is a real can of worms though, there's no single answer to your question.

That speaker shown above has a fairly widely varying impedance curve, and is basically an 89dB/W speaker for most of its range. I would suggest to use it with 30 or more watts for best results.It will probably sound decent with 10W, although probably run out of gas at high volumes.

I use a pair of Onix Ref .5 speakers with my a230. Works great but I would never try to blast it. Solely for background music in the bedroom.

[/QUOTE]

Product At a Glance
Frequency response
60Hz – 20kHz +/- 2 dB
Sensitivity 92 dB / 1m / 2.83V in Half Space
Recommended Amplifier Power 10-250W RMS Per Channel
Woofer 61⁄2 Inch
Enclosure Type Vented ; 3⁄4” MDF
Recommended Impedance setting 8 ohms (BUT SOUND AWESOME AT 4 OHMS)
Enclosure Dimensions 153⁄8” H x 8” W x 8” D
Dimensions with Grill 153⁄8” H x 8” W x 8”5⁄8" D
Weight 14 lbs
Warranty 7-years
Designed and Engineered in the U.S.A.

Good lord, I can't stop listening to them.[/QUOTE]

I have a fleapower amp(6c4 outputs about 2wpc) and using old Klipsch KSB 3.1(45-22kHz 94db) they fill my small home office(8x10'sq)

Back
Top Bottom