Speakers With Tubes?

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I like to now what speakers AK'ers found drive best with with tubes. especially low wattage.
Show me your speakers.......Heres my Altec's.

IMG_7388.JPG

Your Velencias are good and Altec model 19s are better, due to the lay out , Klipsch makes several good model speakers for tube amps i have Cornwalls

Your Velencias are good and Altec model 19s are better, due to the lay out , Klipsch makes several good model speakers for tube amps i have Cornwalls

Even contemporary Klipsch bookshelf speakers sound fantastic with low-to-moderate power tube amps. I use Klipsch RB-61IIs with my Heathkit AA-151 (14W/ch).

I bought some Altec 19s about a year ago and other than moving them requires 2 people i have never been happier with my speakers. They have wide frequency response and excellent bass even with 4 watts of single ended goodness. I was using less efficient JBL L100 and they were pretty good too, but the Altecs are much better. I find that the tone controls are very useful to help balance out the horn presence.

I have some relatively low sensitive monitor-type speakers paired with P-P EL84 amp. It sounds very good, as long as one does not have concert hall SPL expectations.

"Did you make the cabinets?" no came from estate in western NC, found in bedroom covered with collectables and other junk, cabinets are marked up some just from sitting around for decades as when found had no wires connected at all.

I use a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with my SET 2A3 amplifier. Previously I had some Sansui SP-3005, which aren't the world's best speaker, but have the sensitivity to make a low powered amp come alive.

s-l1600 (1).jpg I wonder how the moth speakers would sound with the moth amp?

Last edited:
not quite what you asked, but how about these?

626139b27d111537b2771c862b816040.jpg

The box underneath is this:

beveridge2+ampli.jpg

so its a speaker with tubes in the most literal sense :)

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Hsu HB-1 MK2 bookshelf speaker. Never been a fan of horn speakers until I discovered these. Make my Maggie sound like butta.

Back
Top Bottom