Speakers you will NEVER sell.

dj_AmTraX

What speakers you own and will never sell, why?

What speakers you want to own to keep, why?

me:
NHT 3.3 - classic, wanted it since I was young.
B&W 801 or 802 - looks awesome
JM Lab Mezzo Utopia - look and sound amazing

I only have one set (total of four) of stacked KEFs. They've won awards in the UK for their price/performance ratio, their smooth vocals and midrange, the good treble. Bass is a smidgen weak, but 35Hz isn't too bad for bottom end, and I have a small room anyhow, so their size is a definite advantage! All in all, I have no reason to ever let go of a pair of speakers that make me smile whenever I hear them. In life, that's pretty rare.
Tom

Last edited:
I will never sell my Martin Logan Summits...

Everything else is fair game. Though I may have a line on a mint
pair of Quad 57's. if I get my hands on those, they will be keepers
as well!

Wouldn't mind a pair of those B&W 801's too! They are sending us the D
version this fall for review, but don't know if I'd be able to buy em!!

I'm going to go well outside what I presume will be the box on this topic - my Panasonic SB-D6000's from "Highland Electronics" - a failed electronics chain - bought in 1986 for $150.

Three-way, mid-sized, full-range, 6 ohm speaker, with a well-executed, cheap cabinet. In an "audio emergency" I would substitute these in my main room before I would move my Paradigm Monitor Series in there. Broad, clean, full sound, have been through hell and still sound great. Workhorses, will always have a spot.

Anyone else, by chance, have these? Man, 20 years later I want to go back and pat my 16-year-old self on the back for this wise choice with a 16-year-old grocery bagger's limited cash, and limited knowledge. Studios become Signatures, 701s to 801s, to Wilson, etc. - these will never go.

-----
10/08
Sold. Sad. We had a good ride. You did your best with the Montgomery Wards double-cassette/phono/tuner combo for many of our early years. In turn, I covered your tops with Elle McPherson Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition photos to dress you up. You didn't need dressing up, my good friend. Good luck to you.

I sold my speakers I said I would never sell. Thiel 04a.

My preference for speakers have changed for the newer. But I still have the Thiel CS1.2s.

NS1000m. I'd like another pair. :D

AR90 stays unless i get hold of an AR9. I also want to get hold of an AR3a.

Infinity Kappa 7. (my first nice sounding speaker). I am always on the lookout for better infinities that i can afford though like the Kappa 8 and Kappa 9. I probably can't afford the big infinities.

JBL L65 Jubal (maybe, i just got it.) I wanted but haven't lucked on to the JBL monitors.

I love the rest but they are not keepers (Cerwin Veg D9, KLH 6, KLH 17, NS690, Large Advents, Victor SX3, Onkyos, Bose 301, AR18s, AR2ax modern Energies and Tannoys, B&O Beovox 4802)

I will never sell my JBL L166s(3 pairs) or my pair of L65s.

The speaker I would love to aquire sometime would be a pair of L300s.

JBL 4313's are keepers. They just do so many things right and fit a lot of different use.

Right now, I'm pining for Altec VOTT, Model 19's, or one of the larger JBL Studio monitors.

Never sell my NS-1000x or M or my Canton Ergo 120 but will do only if I can get the NSX-10000 or GF-1.

I'll never sell any Infinity IRS speakers, unless I find a bigger/better set to upgrade to. [Ultimate dream: IRS Vs]. I'd keep them all, except I have no room for more speakers that big. I don't plan to sell any ESS speakers with the "Great" Heil AMT units, because I want to experiment with an open-baffle line array of those AMTs (maybe three or five or more in a slightly concave column per side) when and if I eventually get enough of them.

I think all my other supposed "keeper" speakers may all eventually be up for sale, but only when something better comes in the door. For example, right now I have AR-2ax and AR-4x speakers. From what I've heard, AR-3as are better-sounding. IF so, when I get a pair of AR-3as I might get rid of one of the others.

Speaking of AR-3as, I saw a pair this week in a shop, but the price was too high. I'll keep looking in the cheaper wholesale places for a more affordable pair. Ditto for two pair (an "instant stack" if I bought them both!) of NS-1000Ms I saw, although I might still break down one day and pay retail for a pair of them. They might actually be worth it.

If I lived in a house with a basement or garage, or othewise had enough storage space to keep them all, I'd keep all the better-sounding speakers I find. I'd probably end up eventually joining the ranks of the "certified" collectors with 50 pairs or more. Fortunately or unfortunately, that is not an option in the apartment where I live now, so most of my speakers are "at risk" for being sold sooner or later.

UPDATE (almost a year later): I no longer feel any need for collecting 50 or more speakers, even if I should have the room. However, I would always like to keep a sampling of the best ones... maybe 20 pairs, if there are that many really, really good ones that I like that much. I could almost as easily be satisfied with only 3 or 4 VERY GOOD ones, these days. I want great sound, not just good sound, and I don't want clutter. Finally learned this lesson "the hard way"". LOL.

probably never sell my Tannoy Monitor Golds, or my twin, 135lb Adire Shiva subs. :cool:

Thats what I said when I had Tannoy Monitor Golds.....!

I had some speakers that I SHOULD NOT have sold:

Quad ESL-63
Odyssey Loreleis
JBL L-96 museum quality
Tannoy DMT-12
Tannoy Monitor Gold 12's
Pinnacle Classic Gold Aerogel (hardest of the bunch to find used)

A wise man* once said 'Everything's for sale, you just have to want it more than I do'. That said, the only speakers among the many that I have that I probably want more than anyone else are my Rogers LS3/5As that I bought new in '78. I haven't used them since I demoed them at AK Fest 2004, but they have sentimental value and take up little space.

* Wardsweb

Back
Top Bottom