special kind of stupid

neptuneslair

Regardless....I must ask, Is there any way of running a powered Sub off of vintage gear? I have a pair of Nikko Alpha IIs running thru a Nikko BTL-1 power bridge to a beta 20 pre-amp. I have the EQ-1 and Gamma I as well......these are powering a pair of JBL L150As......Just think there should be more bass. Unfortunately they are high in the air and in a concrete block high ceiling room.....Any help is appreciated???

Most newer subs will have speaker level inputs. Wiring wise, you just place sub between amp and speakers. This will also give you some bass management, giving you the ability to play with crossover values.

Save your $39, most powered subs have the same circuit built in. Be aware that there are many poorly made powered subs out there. If you find a quality one cheap, you may be surprised at the improvement in your final sound. New powered sub users tend to over do it. I would guess that 1/4 to 1/3 volume on the sub, and crossover set to 60hz, at 180* out of phase, is a good place to start.

Save your $39, most powered subs have the same circuit built in. Be aware that there are many poorly made powered subs out there. If you find a quality one cheap, you may be surprised at the improvement in your final sound. New powered sub users tend to over do it. I would guess that 1/4 to 1/3 volume on the sub, and crossover set to 60hz, at 180* out of phase, is a good place to start.
thank you !!!!!!

Now that someone mentioned it, i think you better feed your cat. If you have the money the Skipper is right about the better subs. Many of the cheaper subs do something, but will not give you the tight controlled bottom that you are looking for. A drum strike, or a bow stroke has a fine texture when it is reproduced.

nl: I'd also suggest to buy a decent sub model - which should at least sport a stereo low-level input (one of the channels of which should alternatively accept a mono signal) and a stereo high-level input and output as well as ideally also a phase control (instead of just a switch for phase inversion) besides the controls for volume and crossover frequency.

While an additional stereo low-level output can be convenient, but in the end merely saves you a y-splitter/y-cable. More desirable can be a high-pass filtered stereo low-level output or also speaker-level output with reasonably chosen frequency around 80 to 100 Hz - to relieve smaller satellite speakers from low bass duty. And an input for a trigger signal can also be useful, but would also rather belong to the luxury features.

That being said, in your case I'd use y-splitters/-cables from the pre-amp output, one branch each going to the bridging-adaptor, the other to the low-level inputs of the subwoofer.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

The beta 20 preamp has two sets of pre-outs. Use the second set to the LINE INputs on the sub.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Decent powered sub for not a lot of money, no brainer, Partsexpress SB-1000. Speaker level inputs which you can daisy chain off one of your speakers that will adjust with volume of speakers.

I’m in the same sort of predicament. I thought I’d just piggy back off this thread instead of starting a new one. Hope nobody minds. My newly acquired pre amp has a pre out and a hi level pre out. My question is, can one go to my amp and one to my sub? And does it matter which pre out goes where?

I keep banging on about about this but dont get a sub with a BASH power module. They throw heaps of conductive glue all over them and they fail within 1-2 years - I had a Mirage sub that did this.

Not sure what other brands have the BASH modules fitted - but Mirage is one of them......great sub otherwise.

Last edited:
Wait what, L150's and not enough bass!? And why/how the heck are these big floorstanders being hung from the ceiling?? My 150's were bass monsters.

Wait what, L150's and not enough bass!? And why/how the heck are these big floorstanders being hung from the ceiling?? My 150's were bass monsters.

He said they are high in the air and in a high ceiling room mate, not hung from the ceiling :)

Maybe you should look at a potential recap of the speakers and / or refreshing the surrounds to help with bass response ? Have you tried other speakers which have had better response, or could it be your system just isn't getting deep enough for your taste ?

Back
Top Bottom