1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Spent a little time in Audio Heaven tonight..

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Wolverine, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:32 PM.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got an invite to an event being held by a local Home Theater retailer who is starting to enter full throttle into the 2-Channel market. I got to listen to great gear from makers such as Mark Levinson, Revel, Totem, Dynaudio and others. Here are a few pics including the MoFi LP that I won.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. soundbound

soundbound Active Member

3. ultumax

ultumax Well-Known Member

Wow that is like living the dream !!! Epic collection of high end speakers.!
    Did you just audition them or do you have some at home ?
    Wish I could get em for wholesale price lucky retailers always marking stuff up tons.
    I’m so broke tho right now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:53 AM
    Wolverine likes this.
  4. superdog

superdog AK Member

Vintage JBLs.

Bodyblue and Wolverine like this.
  5. Wolverine

Currently I am running Von Schweikert VR2's, Polk RTA 12's, BBC Monitors and Fried Model C's which some would have been solid mid-fi in their time. I'm fairly convinced after last night that I could improve my speakers a bit by improving my sources to some degree.

Relatively speaking the Totems and the Dynaudio were very reasonably priced in my opinion. In the case of the Dynaudio's they were being driven by about a $15,000 Primare amp/preamp combo. For some that would not be a lot of money but I don't think I would ever be able to afford a combo in that range but who knows. I hope to retire in the next 5 years and that would be a nice retirement present!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:58 AM
  6. Wolverine

Actually they were the recently released modern version of the L100's and the rep said they will run you about $4K at this point.

stish likes this.

7. superdog

superdog AK Member

I've heard of these.They look just like vintage JBL

stish and Wolverine like this.
  8. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Nice to win. Nice to have a dealer nearby to keep tabs on the state of hobby.

4K for the JBLs, seems to be a what the market will bear price, but I've heard some 6k puny Dynaudios that were really good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    Wolverine likes this.
  9. Wolverine

Actually I did last night! The bookshelf Dynaudios which were the SE40's were in my opinion the stars of the night. They run a grand less than the JBL's and produced Bass that thumped me in the chest and I was sitting in the back of the room! I'm sure having close to 500 watts being pumped into them by the Primare amp helped.

To JBL's credit the rep said that at $4K they are actually $300 lower than the price of the originals when adjusted for inflation.

10. bobins08

bobins08 Loving the dream Subscriber

I heard those Dynaudios and the entire line. High quality modern speakers are amazing sounding. The bass that comes out of some of these small enclosure using today’s technology is amazing.

I am always on the lookout for used modern speakers. That is how I found my Acoustic Zen Adagios. I think modern speakers are awesome.

Wolverine and stish like this.
  11. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Great Post - there are a lot of good things happening out there in audio land. Modern materials, manufacturing and computer design are enabling some remarkable things. And it costs nothing to go hear them at your local store :)

jblnut

Wolverine likes this.

12. ultumax

ultumax Well-Known Member

Yeah much smaller footprint , the best vintage speakers are monstrous, and or floorstanders that look like massive bookshelves on mini stands . Not that some small vintage aren’t good they are . Vintage simply need restoration but for some it’s a daunting task & can cost a lot.
    Some vintage weigh over 200ibs a speaker, but Most aren’t that big.
    Sometimes used is the way to to go, I bought all my speakers new tho .

I’ve not heard enough speakers to say that new always beat vintage burn legacy speakers aren’t going out of demand.

Old jbl sound amazing tho.:banana:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    Wolverine likes this.
  13. imral3

imral3 Super Member

Wow!! Must have been a fun night!!

Wolverine likes this.
  14. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

One of our former resident JBL experts (RIP) described the L100 sound as "fake, but fun". Has that changed?

15. Kevin D

Kevin D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice! looks like it was very enjoyable.

Wolverine likes this.