Spinning hourglass on forum load - FIXED!

sKiZo

Hates received: 92644 43.20°N 85.50°W
New one here ... AK's NEW POSTS is set as one of my home pages in Chrome. Last couple days, I notice the "loading" spinner just keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and ...

If I close the page and open it again in a new tab, it's fine. If I click stop loading, then reload, it comes up fine as well.

(?)

I was thinking it was a Chrome thing, but the same thing happens in FIrefox. I'm thinking it's one of the advertisement packages getting stuck in neutral?

Last edited:
It's just the AK forum though - I've got five other pages set to load when I start Chrome. Come to find out, it's ANY AK page that will do it ... including this one. Just cut and pasted that into my startup set, and it's kinda funny watching the hourglass spin on a thread titled spinning hourglass ...

And once again, click to stop load, then reload, and the hourglass magically goes away.

PS ... Chrome is up to date. I know I should probably try to delete cookies, but that tends to cause more problems than it solves ... And ya I know ... Chrome doesn't have an hourglass ... it's that spinny wheel kinda thang they use.

Little more digging, turned on the status bar, and come to find out, the browser is hanging up while trying to load SKIMRESOURCES.COM ... is that malware I need to track down here, or something that AK is set to load? I did find that AdBlock (which I run) offers a custom filter to block it ... if I can figure out how to load that ...

Last edited:
Skimresources.com is part of Skimlinks — a service that helps online publishers earn money. When links in publishers' content lead their users to click through and buy from an online retailer, we make sure they're rewarded! Don't worry, Skimlinks won't change your user experience, or how much you pay the retailer.

OK then ... did some more digging and found a Chrome extension called UBlock that stopped it dead using the default settings.
:banana:

I've always run AdBlock (free) here, and it was apparently good enough to ALMOST block it.

Come to find out, SkimResources is a "revenue enhancement stream" that's (usually) added by a website to make some bucks on click throughs. It apparently adds links to keywords - if you see one, you're supposed to get a notice in a popup that the link was inserted by SkimResources.

My apologies to AK if this was intentional and you're only trying to make a couple extra bucks, but I found it annoying at best.

PS ... I added the UBlock link ... I have no knowledge of any other links you find it this post. ;-}

index.php

Sorry not to get right back to you ... took forever for your post to load ... <G>

Truthfully, I seldom have any other issues with the board, except when I stumble across a thread with a LOT of video links, and that's pretty understandable. Chrome is good as well ... just counted, and I've got 14 tabs open right now. Why?

Because I CAN ... AHAHHAHAAAA!!!

... just counted, and I've got 14 tabs open right now. Why?
Lightweight! :D

I have 41 tabs open across four Chrome windows at the moment, and three Chrome "application" windows...and it's not a work day for me either. If I'm deep in a project, I likely have a couple dozen tabs or more open in each window, and have at least four going at a time. And at least one Incognito window where I can log in to a site with a different ID. That's not counting Chrome windows I run as "applications" like two Gmail instances, Google Maps, Pandora, OneDrive, etc..

Back
Top Bottom