Spotify from ipad into hi-fi?

AirPlay has the advantage of sending anything playing on your iDevice to the APE wirelessly, where CCA requires the app to have casting built in; most do these days, but Apple Music and a few others don't / won't. If you have a solid, interference-free wifi signal (unlikely in crowded apartment/condo complexes), it's a good choice, and very easy to use. However, it takes two or three times the bandwidth of Chromecast, which pulls the stream directly from the source.

I've found Chromecast can be difficult to get the stream started, though, and the app sometimes gets out of sync with what the CCA is playing, so you need to launch the Chromecast app to stop and restart the stream. When it cooperates, CCA has the advantage of not being dependent on your phone/tablet. AirPlay has the annoying habit of stopping the music any time you browse to a site with embedded music/video files, like allmusic.com, even if you don't start them playing, and muting the music for notifications of any kind. I believe this can be avoided by involving a NAS or PC in the mix, but I've moved beyond those years ago myself.

I use a different, all-inclusive system designed exclusively for streaming music, with a range of very high quality powered speakers as well, which has none of these issues, but many, many advantages, but is a bit more expensive. You gets what you pays for. I've tried 'em all, and will stick with the best.

What is this different system, pray tell?

My audioengine B1 is on order, should get here on Monday. I have my iPad primed and ready.

^^^^^^I also have an audioengine B1 and it quickly became my favorite music source except for critical listening. BT is highly compressed but even at that it's sooooooo much better than listening to the local fm programming.

In the original post, the phrase "hi-fi" was used.

I am finding that I get a lot of dropouts using Tidal "hi-fi" with my APE. Because of that I don't this the APE is "hi-fi."

But then, we all have a different understanding of "hi-fi."

I am finding that I get a lot of dropouts using Tidal "hi-fi" with my APE. Because of that I don't this the APE is "hi-fi."

Chromecast Audio is $25 at Best Buy right now. The Tidal app now supports Chromecast. As Chromecast streams directly from Tidal, it puts less load on your WiFi vs Airplay, so MAY result in fewer, or no, dropouts, depending on your WiFi quality and Internet speed. Worth a shot.

In the original post, the phrase "hi-fi" was used.

But then, we all have a different understanding of "hi-fi."
As Chicks indicated, you need fairly decent wifi for APE to perform at its best. I have used the APE extensively with Tidal Hi Fi (I have had about 9 months on the service since the beginning) and never had an issue. I use a TP Link Google On Hub router and it puts out a very strong signal with its thirteen antennas. Another option I have tested (before I got the On Hub) is powerline Ethernet. If you have modern wiring in your home, it can put an Ethernet port anywhere you have a power plug.

My main point is that your issue isn't really the Airport Express. The issue is your wifi signal or you have two devices sharing the same address which is causing the APE to drop the signal. In either case, the problem isn't the APE. The APE is "hi fi" since can put out a bit perfect signal for CD quality audio (16/44.1).

As was mentioned earlier, Sonos or Chromecast Audio are better solutions if you have poor wifi reception. There are also new router systems on the market these days that use a mesh system to put wifi all over the house rather than needing to put a router in one place and expecting it to reach the entire property. Google just came out with one, but this is a growing market since people are becoming more reliant on wifi with tablets, laptops without Ethernet ports, etc..

As Chicks indicated, you need fairly decent wifi for APE to perform at its best. I have used the APE extensively with Tidal Hi Fi (I have had about 9 months on the service since the beginning) and never had an issue. I use a TP Link Google On Hub router and it puts out a very strong signal with its thirteen antennas. Another option I have tested (before I got the On Hub) is powerline Ethernet. If you have modern wiring in your home, it can put an Ethernet port anywhere you have a power plug.

My main point is that your issue isn't really the Airport Express. The issue is your wifi signal or you have two devices sharing the same address which is causing the APE to drop the signal. In either case, the problem isn't the APE. The APE is "hi fi" since can put out a bit perfect signal for CD quality audio (16/44.1).

As was mentioned earlier, Sonos or Chromecast Audio are better solutions if you have poor wifi reception. There are also new router systems on the market these days that use a mesh system to put wifi all over the house rather than needing to put a router in one place and expecting it to reach the entire property. Google just came out with one, but this is a growing market since people are becoming more reliant on wifi with tablets, laptops without Ethernet ports, etc..
APE has an Ethernet port so you can connect to your router. CCA has an optional Ethernet adapter. I found CCA worked more reliably once I used that option... but then I replaced my wifi router and that fixed all ills!

APE has an Ethernet port so you can connect to your router. CCA has an optional Ethernet adapter. I found CCA worked more reliably once I used that option... but then I replaced my wifi router and that fixed all ills!
Not surprised at all. I always recommend getting a new router (I think I may have been one of the people that suggested that you get a new router. :biggrin:) over using something like the Homeplug, but a new router can be more of a pain to setup, so it isn't usually something people want to do. I should mention that the Homeplug may not fix the issue if your wifi is really archaic.

I have no problem with the APEs or the Chromecast Audio running on only wifi. Though, I do have most of my Airplay devices wired because I have Airplay built into my audio receivers that are attached over Ethernet.

The upside to Chromecast is the fact that it sends the signal directly from the internet instead of to a mobile device and back (which is the most common use of Airplay...though you can use Ethernet only for the signal if you control it from a computer). The downside to Chromecast is that it isn't compatible with nearly as many services as Airplay on iOS. I wish Apple Music supported Casting, but until that happens, it will continue to be the main reason I use my Chromecast sparingly (though I have at least 3 Casting devices in the house now).

Last edited:

I am using the latest generation of Apple Extreme with two latest generations of Airport Extreme used to join the Extreme. (I also have the latest generation APE in my garage to extend the signal.) All are linked wirelessly.

The only time I have an issue with the music stopping is when I listen to complex orchestral music. I assume this was a dropout that have been frequently mentioned with the APE. I have not had much of a chance to listen to the Chromecast Audio but it has not given me any issues.

I am using the latest generation of Apple Extreme with two latest generations of Airport Extreme used to join the Extreme. (I also have the latest generation APE in my garage to extend the signal.) All are linked wirelessly.

The only time I have an issue with the music stopping is when I listen to complex orchestral music. I assume this was a dropout that have been frequently mentioned with the APE. I have not had much of a chance to listen to the Chromecast Audio but it has not given me any issues.
Using the APE to extend the wifi signal can halve your wifi bandwidth. Here is an article on the subject:

https://manski.net/2013/05/extending-wi-fi-networks-with-airport-express/

You might try the Home Plug solution and using it to Roam, as described in the article.

Yes, I was aware of that. But, I want internets in the garage and cabling is not an option due to location.

I still need to do some more listening to the Chromecast Audio. So far, it seems at least as good as the Airport Express.

Not surprised at all. I always recommend getting a new router (I think I may have been one of the people that suggested that you get a new router. :biggrin:) over using something like the Homeplug, but a new router can be more of a pain to setup, so it isn't usually something people want to do. I should mention that the Homeplug may not fix the issue if your wifi is really archaic.

I have no problem with the APEs or the Chromecast Audio running on only wifi. Though, I do have most of my Airplay devices wired because I have Airplay built into my audio receivers that are attached over Ethernet.

The upside to Chromecast is the fact that it sends the signal directly from the internet instead of to a mobile device and back (which is the most common use of Airplay...though you can use Ethernet only for the signal if you control it from a computer). The downside to Chromecast is that it isn't compatible with nearly as many services as Airplay on iOS. I wish Apple Music supported Casting, but until that happens, it will continue to be the main reason I use my Chromecast sparingly (though I have at least 3 Casting devices in the house now).
You were indeed one that a suggested a new router to resolve the GGMM M-Freebox connectivity issue. Distance between the router and any of these devices (APE/CCA/GGMM) wasn't the issue. It must have been a protocol discrepancy despite the former Belkin AC1200 being not that old. In any case the new D-Link AC3200 solved many wifi ills at home. It's range is amazing.

At this point one must have multiple casting/streaming devices in order to play from the desired service/app. Fortunately my total cost for all three (APE/CCA/GGMM) is $109! In comparison what would be the cost if we were talking vinyl or CD/SACD and needed multiple compatible TT's or transports?!!!

You were indeed one that a suggested a new router to resolve the GGMM M-Freebox connectivity issue. Distance between the router and any of these devices (APE/CCA/GGMM) wasn't the issue. It must have been a protocol discrepancy despite the former Belkin AC1200 being not that old. In any case the new D-Link AC3200 solved many wifi ills at home. It's range is amazing.

At this point one must have multiple casting/streaming devices in order to play from the desired service/app. Fortunately my total cost for all three (APE/CCA/GGMM) is $109! In comparison what would be the cost if we were talking vinyl or CD/SACD and needed multiple compatible TT's or transports?!!!
The tech is definitely cheaper, no doubt about that. AirPlay was built into receivers I wanted, so it was built into their overall costs and I bought three of my Airport Express devices when they were being sold in the $50 range. The CA is $35 ( cheaper on sale), so for me, it was worth buying one just out of curiosity. I don't use it very often, but it isn't hurting anything, either. With a Google Home, it could be really nice to have if you want voice control.

Airfoil by Rogue Amoeba has added Bluetooth and Casting to their AirPlay app, so you could use all of the stuff together with that one app. I may try that at some point.

The only time I have an issue with the music stopping is when I listen to complex orchestral music.
I don't know the particulars of your situation and playout software. But unless it's re-encoding the file on the fly this is highly unlikely to be the cause of dropouts. Complexity should have no bearing as the codec has already crunched it to an uniform size client side. Ergo...it's already smooshed before it gets poured down yer network pipe.

I snatched and toyed with a GGMM M-Freebox about 9 months ago. Worked... and it was damn well cheap that's for sure.

It was a bit happenstance and sluggish compared to my APE. Also, no volume control via my iPhone so that was a bummer. It's in a drawer...at least until I fire up yet another aux system or re-gift it this Christmas. :D

I don't know the particulars of your situation and playout software. But unless it's re-encoding the file on the fly this is highly unlikely to be the cause of dropouts. Complexity should have no bearing as the codec has already crunched it to an uniform size client side. Ergo...it's already smooshed before it gets poured down yer network pipe.

I agree with you, with my limited knowledge of digital music delivery, it does not make sense.

I only get the dropouts listening to classical music. Not rock or jazz.

I did not take notes on what I was listening to when the dropout occurred. I need to do a little science to see if I can repeat the results with the Chromecast Audio.

I bought one of those cheapo bluetooth recv'rs. It works great. I can't believe the sound.
Just plugs into any open high level port on your preamp or amp.
Comes with cables and wall wart. Works fine with my ipod.

Again, the definition of hi-fi becomes an issue. Bluetooth might be good enough but many people don't think it enters the world of "hi-fi" due to lower quality of how/what it transmits.

Again, the definition of hi-fi becomes an issue. Bluetooth might be good enough but many people don't think it enters the world of "hi-fi" due to lower quality of how/what it transmits.
For me, Hi Fi means it can put out a bit perfect 16/44.1 signal (others may require 24/96, DSD, or more). However, it has nothing to do with whether your system drops a signal or not (which is related to your setup, not to the tech). None of this stuff works if I don't supply power, so user environment is a factor with any of this stuff.

Bluetooth currently compresses the signal, so I don't consider it Hi Fi, even if it sounds great. As I mentioned in another thread, Bluetooth 5 is coming on the scene, so we shall see if it can put out a bit perfect signal at that bit rate or not. I hope it does because it would help eliminate personal wifi/router/setup issues from the equation.

Back
Top Bottom