Spotting audio gear in the movies, TV, etc.

dyche01

"Buy high. Sell low"
If you have an eye for cool-looking audio components, you notice that they are sprinkled throughout movies, TV shows, and advertisements. Here is a place to log your sightings.

Here's a start. Can you name all the gear in the system Gene Hackman jams with at the end of The Conversation?

i dont have a pic at the moment but in season 1 of Bosch, you see Harry Bosch walk into his Hollywood Hills home and fire up a tube amp/TT so he can listen to jazz. The whole series has a great Jazz playlist from some great artists.

It's a shame that HBO cancelled the series Vinyl, I enjoyed the show plus it had a bunch of vintage gear that was always in the back drop of scenes.

It's a shame that HBO cancelled the series Vinyl, I enjoyed the show plus it had a bunch of vintage gear that was always in the back drop of scenes.
I didnt think Vinyl was a great show. I wanted it to be good but it was hard to watch. It was very over the top and a tunnel view of the music industry back then. However one show that i love to watch is Deuce. I hope they come back for a 2nd season.

There's a whole wall of Ampex 440 tape machines at the beginning of Counterpart, on Starz Network.

Short snipped in there; more within the show itself in the 'interrogation room'.

Last edited:
There's a whole wall of Ampex 440 tape machines at the beginning of Counterpart, on Starz Network.

Short snipped in there; more within the show itself in the 'interrogation room'.

Episode 1 has a scene with Howard spinning a record, but I didn't catch his gear, and haven't had the chance to "rewind" and look for it. Maybe someone here caught it?

This is a cool thread.
I have actually had many moments watching various films where I've spotted the odd bit of HiFi gear or even reel to reel machines in the background.
I'll post back when I revisit them.
Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Episode 1 has a scene with Howard spinning a record, but I didn't catch his gear, and haven't had the chance to "rewind" and look for it. Maybe someone here caught it?

I actually grabbed a screenshot from that episode and uploaded it a while back to share on another community.

There is a Cambridge Audio network player sitting on top of what I believe must be one of their integrated amplifiers, with a Thorens table? sitting on top of the stack.
Later on in the episode there is another shot of the gear but I didn't bother getting another screenshot of that.
I can load up the episode again if wanted and get a snap from the end of the episode as the headshell/cartridge clearly shows the Thorens name.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is an awful lot of albums sitting on the shelves and it makes me wonder if there are any treasures hiding in there? A lot of the stuff I can read points towards Howard being a Jazzman.

And I also grabbed a screenshot from the TV show Elementary that has the best overview of Sherlockes McIntosh and Energy Veritas system that I've seen so far while watching the show.

Last edited:
I went and got a couple pictures from the end of the first episode of Counterpart where it shows the cartridge and a better side view of the turntable.

u6VlJVgh.png

rtW8OwKh.png

Kevin Can Wait, in the first season, not sure what episodes but you see a very nice Yamaha Receiver.

Some of you know this I'm sure, the stereo in American Psycho was a HK 700 series stack with a different HK cassette deck. I actually own that exact setup complete with the EQ but will be retiring most of it soon as the similar HK 775 mono amps (movie used a 770 stereo amp) seem for some reason noticeably better.

Back
Top Bottom