Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Vintage Modified '51

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Vintage Modified Tele Special w/ Jazzmaster neck pup and neck

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
The new 2017 hardtail Affinity series Jazzmasters are really quite nice for $200 and very mod-friendly.

The Vintage Modified 51 felt pretty crappy to me. No experience with the others on the list.

The new 2017 hardtail Affinity series Jazzmasters are really quite nice for $200 and very mod-friendly.

The Vintage Modified 51 felt pretty crappy to me. No experience with the others on the list.

Cool. Ill have to check those out. I played both of the thinlines and like them a lot. They are a nice weight and have a nice jangle. But Jazzmasters are awesome guitars as well.

Squier and others like it can be made to play beautifully with a few minor tweaks. I played a Squier Strat for almost 20 years and only traded it because I didn't like the Strat sound anymore.
Two major things I did to it-
1: Installed Duncan active pickups- probably unnecessary, but I was young and they seemed cool.
2: Replaced the neck with a Mexican model. It would stay in tune after that. Bear in mind this was in the 80s and I've never heard complaints about neck issues; I probably got a lemon.

One of the best experiences I've had with cheap guitars was a Peavey Raptor with a phenomenal set-up job- it played like a million bucks and was on sale, slightly used, for 80 bucks.

I play a Squier Jaguar bass and love it.

Squier and others like it can be made to play beautifully with a few minor tweaks. I played a Squier Strat for almost 20 years and only traded it because I didn't like the Strat sound anymore.
Two major things I did to it-
1: Installed Duncan active pickups- probably unnecessary, but I was young and they seemed cool.
2: Replaced the neck with a Mexican model. It would stay in tune after that. Bear in mind this was in the 80s and I've never heard complaints about neck issues; I probably got a lemon.

One of the best experiences I've had with cheap guitars was a Peavey Raptor with a phenomenal set-up job- it played like a million bucks and was on sale, slightly used, for 80 bucks.

I play a Squier Jaguar bass and love it.

The original Japanese made JV Squires 1982 & 83 (Japanese vintage) and SQ Squires 1983 & 84 had USA made pickups and cloth wiring.
The new Squires are different animals.
PQ

Got me an '83 MIJ Bullet - great guitar! I would rule out the '51 and the Special. The '50 Tele appeals to me more than the Thinline. I would choose between the Telecaster and the Jazzmaster.

I would shop for wood, fit and finish, aesthetics, then tone, in that order, as long as you like the general tone of both designs equally. Electronics can always be upgraded, and setup and neck issues can be corrected. The wood, you get what you pay for, as well as the fit and finish, hardware and aesthetics. Upgrading the instrument at that level - well, you may be better off getting a better guitar at the counter.

This is all just my opinion. Now, I did buy my son one of the original Squier '51, used. That was a great guitar, but it didn't suit his style. I am looking forward to seeing your choice.

I tend to like the Classic Vibe series over the Vintage Modified series though there's probably a lot of instrument to instrument variation.

I had a 50s Classic Vibe series strat that was super nice for the price, considering they are easily available new. Briefly had a 60s Classic Vibes tele that I bought to flip a while back was also very decent.

I have a JV series strat that was my #1 for several years with different pickups and wiring. Now it's my dedicated flatwound guitar. Can't imagine I'll ever sell it.

I've had pretty good luck with Standards and up. Affinities can be hit or miss. Almost all wete bought to flip though a couple had such nice necks that I parted them out and kept the necks.

Haven't seen the Affinity offsets but for $200, those might get a lot of attention, esp if they come in colors other than black, white and sunburst.

Well, I picked up the Vintage Modified Thinline Tele. This one is discontinued and is made in China with the traditonal single coils in bridge and neck. Alder body, rosewood fretboard, 24.75 neck scale and gloss black finish. I got it for under $200 and it is in excellent condition.

The action is a little high and it has 9s on it so i will attempt to set it up better and put 10s on this afternoon. So far Im excited about my new axe!

Enjoy your new guitar! IFor others who are looking just want to say the '51 pawn shop is also a really nice guitar. I almost bought the Fender version and then a Squier showed up at a local pawn shop. Very fun and I like the neck finish better than the Fender.

I just picked up a nice used Classic Vibe '50s Tele in butterscotch blond. So far I'm very pleased with it. Built on a nice chunky piece of pine with a very comfortable neck. Very nice overall fit and finish. Not wild about the glossy fretboard though. Kind of sticky feeling on bends.

I'm not much of a player and thusly can't justify high dollar guitars (to my wife anyway). Based on reviews this was my best choice for a Tele style that fit my budget.

I also have an late 80s MIK Squier Bullet that that my wife bought for me at a pawn shop about 25 years ago. Very comfortable neck and the original pickups sound great too.

Last edited:
I got my pine body Classic Vibe a few years ago. The only things I've done to it are shielding the back of the pickguard because just moving my hand over it would cause static, changed out the bridge to a Wilkinson with compensated saddles and changed the jack to a Switchcraft because the original is garbage.
The bridge evened everything out tone-wise and has lower sides making it so much easier to play.
Pickups are stock. Splurged for a pro setup from a local luthier and it's fantastic.
Here are two original tunes, both very different in style and sound to show how versatile this guitar is.

Nice pickin'!

How did the static manifest itself? today I noticed a little tube crackle on my Vibro Champ that I hadn't noticed before. I thought it might be a sloppy tube socket and didn't pay much attention to it. But I did notice that it seemed to only happened while I was playing. No noise with my hands off of the guitar.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would have to "try" every one of the geetars included in your list before I'd feel comfortable recommending a particular piece. But that said (er, written), my gut's tellin' me take the Classic Vibe 50s Tele.

I'm pretty happy with mine so far. The fit and finish is very good. Doesn't look or feel cheap. Action wise it feels a bit stiff to me compared to my other (inexpensive) guitars. I bought it used and the store I bought if from put new strings on it and I'm not sure what gauge they are. I use 10s on my others but might try 9's on this one. It may need some setup work too.

There are some good videos on youtube comparing the CV 50's to the $2000 Fender American '52 reissue.

Last edited:
Nice pickin'!

How did the static manifest itself? today I noticed a little tube crackle on my Vibro Champ that I hadn't noticed before. I thought it might be a sloppy tube socket and didn't pay much attention to it. But I did notice that it seemed to only happened while I was playing. No noise with my hands off of the guitar.
Thanks John! The static could be heard through the pickups.
As for your tube noise, it's not uncommon for combo tube amps to develop tube rattle from the vibration of the speaker. That's one of the benefits of and amp head / speaker cab setup.

I'm pretty happy with mine so far. The fit and finish is very good. Doesn't look or feel cheap. Action wise it feels a bit stiff to me compared to my other (inexpensive) guitars. I bought it used and the store I bought if from put new strings on it and I'm not sure what gauge they are. I use 10s on my others but might try 9's on this one. It may need some setup work too.

There are some good videos on youtube comparing the CV 50's to the $2000 Fender American '52 reissue.
To be honest I struggled with the Made in China sticker on the back of the headstock. But, after playing several Tele's including MIM's and MIA's I went back, picked this one up again and it just felt and sounded right. Since I'm not playing for a living at this time I couldn't justify the thousand dollar difference between it and the American Tele. My fingers and ears don't notice a significant difference either.
Some may say or think I just don't know what I'm talking about, and they may be right.
But I've been playing for over 45 years, made a living playing music for about 12 years, have owned and do own some nice vintage instruments, have several years teaching experience (guitar) and currently write, record and play my own music.
I've chased tone just like every other guitarist and am finally in a place where the hunt is over because I keep coming back to where I started and it makes me happy.
Play on brother!

I got my pine body Classic Vibe a few years ago. The only things I've done to it are shielding the back of the pickguard because just moving my hand over it would cause static, changed out the bridge to a Wilkinson with compensated saddles and changed the jack to a Switchcraft because the original is garbage.
The bridge evened everything out tone-wise and has lower sides making it so much easier to play.
Pickups are stock. Splurged for a pro setup from a local luthier and it's fantastic.
Here are two original tunes, both very different in style and sound to show how versatile this guitar is.

That first video sure had some Danny Gatton style influences, I dig it, great job!!

Nice Tele and Silverface Fenders @JParry335! I ended up getting a Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Tele in Black for cheap! It is an unusual Tele in that it has a 24.75 scale length but it sure is fun to play! I haven't modded anything but I also plan to shield the body and possibly change pots and switch. Now I'm on the hunt for a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster.

My main amp is a little 1976 Fender Princeton non reverb and it's great!

Back
Top Bottom