Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Artists - Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
Title - Getz/Gilberto
Year of Release - 1963
Record Label - Verve
Genre - Jazz

Here is another classic. You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old Helô Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. Also, on the album the girl singing is Astrud Gilberto, Joao's wife. She and Getz's wife, Monica, were in the studio to listen. There is some debate over who suggested Astrud try singing a verse; Stan, Joao or Monica, but whoever did, it created one of the most memorable songs in history. This is only one of the jewels on this album.

Another great one. I have the Verve single of "GFI". Also, don't overlook the Stan Getz "Jazz Samba" album that features the hit instrumental "Desafinado". :yes:

Last edited:
Wardsweb said:
Artists - Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
Title - Getz/Gilberto

Here is another classic.

Agreed - an absolute classic and a favorite for both me and my wife :thmbsp:

I remember the version they played in the elevator scene in "The Blues Brothers"...<grin> Wonder if there's a picture of the girl that inspired this song ? Or of Astrud? I always wondered what she looked like, too. -Sandy G.

Awesome album and even better if you have been to Rio. The girl that inspired the song must have been really hot, as a ridiculous number of girls in Rio are quite nice and none of them are inspiring songs quite the way this girl did.

But yeah the Ipanema Bar is like 3 or 4 blocks from Ipanema Beach, and everyday after school there is steady procession of kids heading down to the beach.

All in all a lovely place although the poverty level is tough to see.
The current music scene in Brazil today is also littered with some really talented artists and groups.

WardsWeb, another great choice! Stan Getz can get sound from a sax that no one else can and I love Latin Jazz.

I love that one. Is your record gatefold? Mine has different lettering on the cover and it's a gatefold. I'll post a pic later.

Soliver:

Welcome! See that this your first post. I have been to Rio and know what you mean. Amazing city, amazing beaches and culture, and yes, amazing women.

I worked in Sao Jose dos Campos in 1976--77 and went to Rio at least 6 times via bus for 3--4 day work/play visits. I'd sit at a Telex machine for 14 hours straight during the night shift and then hit the city. Spent most of the rest of my weekends in Sao Paulo. I was burning the candle at both ends and had a blow torch aimed at the middle during those sojurns.

I love Brasil and have this album and many others (vinyl and CD) by Brasilian artists -- check out Tom Jobin everybody, Gilberto Gil, Milton Nasciemento, Elis Regina, etc. -- that I bought there and here in the U.S.

An incredible, majestic country and people. I used to go to company dances that started at about 10:00 p.m. and go until 5:00 a.m. non-stop. There would usually be two bands: one playing samba and traditional Brasilian music, and the next American rock'n'roll covers. You could lose 10-lbs easy, even drinking non-stop. My 22 year old body was up to the challenge then, though! I wished I had gone to Bahia while there.

Even way back then, the beauty of Rio and incredible people was marred by crushing poverty, I had never seen such -- although the crime hadn't got nearly as intense as some say it is now. I was even able to walk down by the docks where I was working at a U.S. Naval station at 4:00 a.m. without incident, although I paid real attention and walked down the middle of the street! The paid "security" guards also hadn't quite got the press for their killing of street kids either. It was still under a military junta then.

All: thanks for letting me flashback. Going to put some samba on the TT now.

Last edited:
A Bossa Nova classic although I prefer Getz's earlier periods. The stuff he did with Gillespie and on Roost Records is magic.

Another one from that same era was Walter Wanderley's "Summer Samba" from '66. There was something so coolly sophisticated about that type of music that makes it timeless, even today.-Sandy G.

Wardsweb said:
... You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old Helô Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. ...

One of my favorite songs ... in 2002 (40th aniversary of the song) ... there was an a story about Pinheiro including an interview with her ... one could probably find it on the Net ...

I agree. This is a classic and an all-time fave.
GETZ GILBERETO.jpg

With this album in mind, I'd also like to recommend the following KYMAERA album.
Anyone who is a fan of ACOUSTIC ALCHEMY or DOMINIC MILLER will love this!

KYMAERA - Rio Moods
KYMAERA Rio Moods.jpg

Stan Getz is one of my favorite sax players but rumor has it he was a bit of a cad. He ended up having an affair with Astrud, Joao's wife. I guess it ended the marriage and then he dumped her soon after. Great music though! I guess it was the first Jazz album to sell 2 million copies back in 1964? Grammy for album of the year in 1965.

It does sound great in vinyl but I have a pre-recorded version in 4 track 7.5ips that is quite exceptional. Also sounds great in SACD.

Last edited:
Amazing. I just found the CD for .50 at a local resale shop. This completes my collection with the original LP from who knows when.
Still gets me going listening to it.

One if my favorite jazz albums. I have at least 4 copies on vinyl, including a Japan pressing that is simply awesome, and two or 3 CDs, one of which is a MoFi.

Yeah, Astrud is a extremely sensual vocalist.
And GFI is one of her best.
And I just love Stan's breathy sax style.
I think I would have had an affair with her too.
(But she wasn't returning my calls ...)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom