Stanton 600 Cartridge

shoggoth80

Hey all.
This is a newer cartridge to me. I have it mounted up in a headshell that has one mounting position, but seems to be pretty spot on for it. Last time I checked the alignment it seemed on. I have to fiddle with my Shure cartridge a bit, and need to get some better protractors for aligning things juuust right, hence my reluctance at the moment to mess with too much mounting.

Anyway, it seems to sound nice over just about any type of record I toss on. Low surface noise. Compares relatively favorably to my other carts, or at least ones that I have styli for.

I have next to no information for it though. I have the little insert that came with it, but doesn't supply a lot of information. I know it was part of Stanton's "broadcast series, high performance."

I got a 600EE stylus on it right now (original Stanton). Rocks pretty nicely. Gotta do a little tweaking on balance and tracking though.

I am wondering if EVG, or Jico make styli to fit? I like this cart, as it seems like a great general listening cart. Add in that my tonearm is medium mass (I think), and I don't think this cart counts as overly high compliance... they sound nice together.

Just trying to source stylus options. I can get conicals and ellipticals... but does anyone make something better? Google doesn't yield much. eBay yields Stanton conicals, Pfanstiel elliptical and conical, and I think EVG ellipticals (sent questions to seller)... but Jico?

Anyone else rocking one that can lend some insight?

I can find Stanton sure. Wanting to experiment, and get backup styli. Lol. Wanting to know if there are other styli out there that push this cartridge (much like how the EVG and Jicos are supposed to really up the performance on the M91).

I can find Stanton sure. Wanting to experiment, and get backup styli. Lol. Wanting to know if there are other styli out there that push this cartridge (much like how the EVG and Jicos are supposed to really up the performance on the M91).

I think you have a misconception about the JICO and the JICO-made EVG for the M91ED. They don't offer an improvement over the original Shure Hi Track (but the JICO SAS does). It's just that they're readily available and inexpensive which the originals are not and they sound really good considering the price.

As for the Stanton 600, the best stylus for it, if you can find one, is the Pickering D IV AME (Pfanstiehl #607-DEM). These are for the Pickering Phase IV or Micro IV, the Pickering version of the Stanton 600.

As a general statement, aftermarket styli for Stanton and Pickering cartridges are pretty poor. By far the best option is an original but they're scarce and getting more expensive all the time. Of all the styli in stock somewhere the best is this one.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-821-DEE_p_1604.html

The only one that would be better is the Pickering I mentioned earlier but for that one you have to haunt eBay and hope you don't get outbid.

John

John,

The OP may be searching for a JICO- SAS stylus for the Stanton 600 cartridge. :scratch2:

" Unfortunately, there isn't one."
Damn, that's too bad. I was hoping there would be one. Really liking this cart.

I was just wondering what kind of stylus upgrades there were for it, whether it be aftermarket, Stanton, EVG, Jico/SAS in general. Not as much info out there for the 600 as there is for the 500 series.

The Stanton 600/Pickering Phase IV/Pickering Micro IV was originally designed to be the replacement for the Stanton 500/Pickering V 15 line. It is moving iron. Basically a higher performance, less expensive 680/681/XV 15 alternative for broadcasters and audiophile users. There were a lot of stylus options out there up to light tracking ellipticals.

Your best bets are always going to be the Stanton 821 series styli and the Pickering 607 series. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from any generic or aftermarket stylus for any Stanton/Pickering Moving Iron cartridge. They will not sound anything like the originals as the cantilever design is different. I think that many who think they sound fine have not lived long term with an OEM stylus. JICO SAS is not the "answer" to all replacement stylus problems. SAS styli have their own JICO house sound. Whether or not that is close to what the original designers intended is a crap shoot. Also whether or not you like that house sound. Seems to me to be an awful expensive experiment if OEM styli are available or a re-tip is possible for a similar price. Just my opinion and that of others may be different. Under current market conditions, the Stanton/Pickering MI cartridges may not be a good option for most people unless you are willing to search for and pay the going price for OEM styli. There are plenty of other options if you are working on a budget and didn't buy up a stash of these styli while they were available at a "reasonable" price.

Last edited:
I recently acquired a Stanton 600 A and found it so sound lovey on my Technics SL-1210mk2.

I started to look at replacements for the stylus but after looking at this thread it seems the replacements sold on LP gear might not be worth getting.

Right now it seems to sound just fine but I don’t know how much wear this cartridge has seen. Is it still best to look for NOS replacements for these cartridges or is there a new model that would improve on my 600 A ?

I bought a few NOS Stanton 600 stylus earlier this year on megaloBay. I also purchased an aftermarket conical that is surprisingly good too. The Stanton 600 "Broadcast" cartridge is a very fine cartridge. Good luck!

As for the Stanton 600, the best stylus for it, if you can find one, is the Pickering D IV AME (Pfanstiehl #607-DEM). These are for the Pickering Phase IV or Micro IV, the Pickering version of the Stanton 600.
John

Hello John,

I have a Pickering Micro IV body with Pickering DIV-AT, DIV-AM, DIV-ACE and DIV-AME.
All are originals.
The only ones I'm missing from the series, are the DIV-ATE and DIV-AC.
They all sound very pleasing, each with their strong points.

For example: the ACE has the the most authoritative sound in the lower registers, the AM has the most satisfying imaging and soundstage, the AT the most balanced and lively presentation and the AME the most refined and detailed sound.

I always wondered how the three Stantons compare to the Pickerings above.
Do you thing that the Pickerings are better?
How do you think the Pickering DIV-AME compares to the Stanton D6004EE?

Hello John,

I have a Pickering Micro IV body with Pickering DIV-AT, DIV-AM, DIV-ACE and DIV-AME.
All are originals.
The only ones I'm missing from the series, are the DIV-ATE and DIV-AC.
They all sound very pleasing, each with their strong points.

For example: the ACE has the the most authoritative sound in the lower registers, the AM has the most satisfying imaging and soundstage, the AT the most balanced and lively presentation and the AME the most refined and detailed sound.

I always wondered how the three Stantons compare to the Pickerings above.
Do you thing that the Pickerings are better?
How do you think the Pickering DIV-AME compares to the Stanton D6004EE?

The Stanton 600 and Pickering V15 Micro IV are the same cartridge, and the styli for each interchangeable. No difference, and I've found no difference sonically. There is no 6004EE that I know of. There is a 6003EE, which is a .3 x .7 elliptical and tracks at 1-2g, and a 6004E, which is a .4 x .7 and tracks t 1.5-3g. These are the same as the Pickering D IV AME and D IV AM, respectively. The Pickering options, btw, are still available at Voice Of Music.

I'm really enjoying my 600 A with a conical stylus but do think it would be fun to try an elliptical on this body.

For some reason I tend to prefer my conical tip cartridges over my elliptical or microcline ones.

I'm really enjoying my 600 A with a conical stylus but do think it would be fun to try an elliptical on this body. h

For some reason I tend to prefer my conical tip cartridges over my elliptical or microcline ones.

Conical tips of the 0.7 mil size are more forgiving. You do give up some detail. The heavier tracking styli often have larger magnets with higher output. That seems to result in a more dynamic sound. Mathematically, it should not, but it seems to, just as more sensitive speakers like Klipsch seem more dynamic. Heavier tracking styli also have stiffer suspensions so there MAY be less loss to the suspension. That statement often gets disagreement but the suspension does absorb some movement. 'Direct scanning' or whatever one wants to call it like the A/T ART 1000, London's(formerly Decca's), and the old GE VR 1000 generate the signal before the suspension and give better transient response. Many people are rediscovering the sound of some of the old classic cartridges. Everything is a trade off.

There are Stanton elliptical still available - .4 X .7 Diamond Elliptical tip. :music:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-821-DE_p_1603.html
I have two 600ee's. As an upgrade, it you can find them, you can use style from Stanton 681 carts. A eee or eee-s stylus would definitely upgrade the sound. The "horns" on the top of the plastic mount are longer on the 681's so you just have to ship them off so the stylus will insert all the way into the cart.

One can often find originals on eBay. And originals packaged by another brand. I used to know a way to find them easily. I will see if I can remember. You can search '607 Pickering', 'genuine 607 Pickering' .. the Pfanstiehl's with the '*' before the model number are OEM's. Also search 'Astatic Pickering' as Astatic packaged OEM's as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom