Stax repair suggestion

Cosmos

Speakerholic
Recently I acquired a Stax SRX MK3 with a SRD-7 energizer. One channel is low on output. I'd like to fix them or send them to someone who can. Any ideas what might be wrong or who could repair them? Any Stax experts?

Recently I acquired a Stax SRX MK3 with a SRD-7 energizer. One channel is low on output. I'd like to fix them or send them to someone who can. Any ideas what might be wrong or who could repair them? Any Stax experts?

STAX expert I am .If you can't get any other help in USA with original spares parts send me a PM :thmbsp:

How long have you played with them? They need to be charged up so leave them on for the night.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they've been on for several days, both with and without music playing. There is sound on the one side and with the balance almost completely to the low side, they sound pretty good..

https://www.staxusa.com/, They should fix you up, I have had great results from them on those same cans. GL

Thank you or your suggestion. However, can you elaborate on what they did to help you and what it cost? Was your problem in the energizer or headset?

I do think these sound very promising and I'd like to hear them working correctly...

I don't think there are any problems with the drivers themselves so you can start by checking all of the cables and measure if something isn't right inside the energizer. I do believe it has resistors on the primary side of the transformers, maybe they have changed value?

Thank you or your suggestion. However, can you elaborate on what they did to help you and what it cost? Was your problem in the energizer or headset?

I do think these sound very promising and I'd like to hear them working correctly...

Its been a couple years ago (Feb 2012) the problem was in the energizer, I had them replace the earpads also total cost to me was 160 shipped if I remember correctly, you can contact them and they can elaborate more on their prices. Those cans are worth repairing IMHO, I absolutley love them. If you just got yours from another AKer, you beat me to the PM button, I was going to buy them and send them off to have a backup pair. You would have to spend @2k to best these cans.

hello Cosmos

1) driver on any electrostatic STAX headphone don't need to be charged . I have refixed more than 450 STAX headphone I know what I am talking about .STAX electret headphones are charged at manufacture and don't need polarisation (bias) voltage. A STAX headphone work immediately after power connection is ON . You don't need to wait a day to listen music !!
2) If you have a trouble in level with one driver open the "STAX box " and make a connection with the right transformer to the left driver ,this way you will hear that the driver is good or not . After this test , don't forget to re-connect as it was before .
3) STAX headphones are remarquable and very easy to repair :thmbsp:

hello Cosmos

1) driver on any electrostatic STAX headphone don't need to be charged . I have refixed more than 450 STAX headphone I know what I am talking about .STAX electret headphones are charged at manufacture and don't need polarisation (bias) voltage. A STAX headphone work immediately after power connection is ON . You don't need to wait a day to listen music !!
2) If you have a trouble in level with one driver open the "STAX box " and make a connection with the right transformer to the left driver ,this way you will hear that the driver is good or not . After this test , don't forget to re-connect as it was before .
3) STAX headphones are remarquable and very easy to repair :thmbsp:
Great information. Thank you. Do you have a wiring diagram of the headset cable connections? Not sure which are audio and which is bias..

Hello cosmos

Here is what you never find on the web exept on AK now ! this is the schematic of your SRD7 :thmbsp:

Attachments

• SRD7-original-schematic.pdf
    625.1 KB · Views: 139
Hello cosmos

Here is what you never find on the web exept on AK now ! this is the schematic of your SRD7 :thmbsp:

Hi,

the schematic shown has an error. The speaker output for the LHS will not work if wired as per the diagram. The speaker terminal outputs are shorted together when the switch is in the speaker position and there is no connection to the ground or -ve side of the speaker input. The line from the top speaker input needs to be dropped to the bottom one.

just to avoid confusion.

Cheers

GPS16

I did have two sets of Stax SR3 phones that had not been hooked up for many years that were gotten from a friend. Output on both was so low as to be almost inaudible when hooked up to either of my two Stax amps, SRMT1 and SRM1. Leaving them plugged into their SRD5 energiser box for several days got them up to snuff. Sounds like you covered that approach already though. Otherwise I agree with Clinic-Audio, my SR5, SRX Mk3 and Lamba are all ready to sing once they are plugged in.

Btw.....

I agree about the quality of the SRX Mk3, they are one of my absolute favorites among many nice choices in my collection. :music:

For the record, here is the SDR-7 schematic corrected with the proper wiring to the speaker terminals. Also resized to an appropriate file size. Thanks GPS16!

Attachments

• Stax SRD7-original-schematic.jpg
    Stax SRD7-original-schematic.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 44
I don't see any mod on my schematic with yours !

I think that you don't read it correctly and think my schematic need to be modified ! this schematic is original from STAX Japan

the section where you can read " L CH and R CH " are wires coming from output of the amplifier and the LOUD SP.OUT are connections going to your speakers !

Do what you want , if you prefer to trust somebody else , I stop my help here

Thank you, clinic-audio for posting the original schematic. If you look closely, you will see the mistake in the Stax original schematic. All I did was move one connection. GPS16 pointed the error out in post #13, above. Hint: it's in the L CH inputs/loudspeaker outputs.

Have a nice day! :)

Mine have a minor issue with the headsets. It is the wiring. It drops out faintly, but when I shake the wires the sound comes back.

Back
Top Bottom