Staying in shape during winter.

My new exercise machine. Fat bike!

radrover-trestle-park.jpg

... but I cheat. <G>

It's an eBike, so I can either peddle along OR get several levels of power assist with a click of a button. I went almost 20 miles the other day, peddling in the flats and using the assist up hills where my knees would start to bark. Kept peddling, but clicked in enough assist to maintain the same effort level I put in on the flats. Still ended up getting more exercise than I'd get on the standard mountain bike because I didn't wimp out as fast.

My new exercise machine. Fat bike!

radrover-trestle-park.jpg

... but I cheat. <G>

It's an eBike, so I can either peddle along OR get several levels of power assist with a click of a button. I went almost 20 miles the other day, peddling in the flats and using the assist up hills where my knees would start to bark. Kept peddling, but clicked in enough assist to maintain the same effort level I put in on the flats. Still ended up getting more exercise than I'd get on the standard mountain bike because I didn't wimp out as fast.

That's an awesome machine. What brand/ model did you get and why. I am riding a bit myself but wife could probably use the assist. I sure I will need assist soon enough as well.

I finally had to give up running and treadmill as it was taking a toll on joints. I do 30 mins on elliptical and mix in "stair stepper" 2-4 times a week. However, I continue my 4 days a week gym workout of 1-1 1/2 hours. I mix free weights, resistance machines, and body resistance. Cardio and weight training are both important to me. I admit cardio gets harder as I age. My height shrunk over an inch too :rolleyes:

Currently I'm 5ft 9.5in and a little heavy at 170lbs. But I can do 10-12 pull-ups and bench press 185-95lbs at age 71.

Roger

That's an awesome machine. What brand/ model did you get and why. I am riding a bit myself but wife could probably use the assist. I sure I will need assist soon enough as well.

It's a RadRover. I like the fat bikes, and that's pretty much all you see on the trails this time of year as they're happy in the snow. Had a whole thread going about it (and other eBikes) recently if ya wanna take a peek.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/electric-bikes.753019/

Currently working on "accessorizing". Bags, lights, glitter and handlebar streamers ... you know, the usual!

Also just read of Nike's attempt to break the sub 2 hour Marathon barrier. Folks, that's averaging 4:34 seconds a mile! I have a hard enough time doing that in a mountain bike.:D
Anyway one super athlete came close.
"Eliud Kipchoge does marathon in two hours and 24 seconds in Nike's Breaking2 project"

I'm somewhat a gym rat. But after getting married, and helping clean up/close up my wife's salon after work. I don't have as much time to go to the gym as I used to. For keeping the pounds, and flab off despite being less active. I've found nothing makes a bigger difference than just controlling what you ingest. I highly recommend a good activity tracker, I've been using a fitbit charge HR for 2 years. It'll give you an accurate enough idea of calorie usage day by day. Get used to using the app to track what you ingest, there's a search function to put in everything you eat and drink. I try to keep around a 500 calorie deficit per day on average. On days I can hit the gym, I have a protein shake, with some BCAA supplements prior to lifting, so I don't burn out too quickly from the caloric deficit.

IMG_20171230_205804.jpg I swear my weight scale is broke. Got a Fitbit watch for Christmas which gave me bit of motivation. Managed to step on average around 13,000 steps a day sprinkled with a light "HEAVY WEIGHT boxers" jog :biggrin: and a few sprints in between.
A WHOLE WEEK.
Started last week at 233. Finished just now @.....231.5. A measly 1.5 lbs!! Sweat, sore knees, dedication, time and more sweat and, and.... I'm going to have some more of my wife's birthday cake now.
Keep at it AK. Keep Stepping!

NordicTrack ASR 630:

asr-630-elliptical.jpg

Start weight: 212 lbs. End weight: 186 lbs. This bad boy for 30 minutes Monday through Friday with a moderate amount of push ups, abs flexion, and 15 and 20 lb. bar bell reps led to the aforementioned 20+ pound drop in overall body weight, the transition from Stage 1 hypertension to normal blood pressure, and a few pairs of too-big-in-the waist pants and loose shirts. No, you don't have to "kill" yourself to stay in shape. The secret is maintaining consistency.

View attachment 1077906 I swear my weight scale is broke. Got a Fitbit watch for Christmas which gave me bit of motivation. Managed to step on average around 13,000 steps a day sprinkled with a light "HEAVY WEIGHT boxers" jog :biggrin: and a few sprints in between.
A WHOLE WEEK.
Started last week at 233. Finished just now @.....231.5. A measly 1.5 lbs!! Sweat, sore knees, dedication, time and more sweat and, and.... I'm going to have some more of my wife's birthday cake now.
Keep at it AK. Keep Stepping!

Did you install the smartphone app? Highly recommended, the app has steadily improved as well.

NordicTrack ASR 630:

View attachment 1077938

Start weight: 212 lbs. End weight: 186 lbs. This bad boy for 30 minutes Monday through Friday with a moderate amount of push ups, abs flexion, and 15 and 20 lb. bar bell reps led to the aforementioned 20+ pound drop in overall body weight, the transition from Stage 1 hypertension to normal blood pressure, and a few pairs of too-big-in-the waist pants and loose shirts. No, you don't have to "kill" yourself to stay in shape. The secret is maintaining consistency.

Well done! Bravo. Consistency is starting just now have to maintain it. But man I love food. My motto should be "I run to eat" :p

Should I have to? It's a brand new watch. A week old.

Highly recommend you do, it syncs with the watch, you'll get all sorts of graphs that show your progress over the last few months, as well as keep track of various health related info. The app also has a food tracking function, you enter what you eat, it'll keep track of the calories. and macros. It's a really powerful weight loss tool when properly utilized IMO. I credit it helping me lose 35lbs in 6 months, and I've kept it off for almost 2 years since.

I recently started going to the gym to lift weights and I found it helps a lot with the motivation aspect as I have to go out of my way to go to the gym. I should really start a cardio routine of some sort on my off days once the weather warms up.

I recently started going to the gym to lift weights and I found it helps a lot with the motivation aspect as I have to go out of my way to go to the gym. I should really start a cardio routine of some sort on my off days once the weather warms up.
Good job! As for cardio a simple 45 minute walk on the treadmill or elliptical is good enough. Emphasis on simple. My brother is a certified trainer and explained that the first 15 minutes your body is burning sugar after that it taps the fat. Woohoo.
Good luck on your fitness goals!

Did the elliptical and was surprised my heart rate hit 186 bpm. Nothing extraordinary happened, no weak legs, shortness of breath, dizziness etc.. as I continued to maintain that level and them slowly went back down to a more moderate 168bpm then finished the work out. Sort of freaked me out to be honest. I didn't know I could go that high. Hmm.

I finally had to give up running and treadmill as it was taking a toll on joints. I do 30 mins on elliptical and mix in "stair stepper" 2-4 times a week. However, I continue my 4 days a week gym workout of 1-1 1/2 hours. I mix free weights, resistance machines, and body resistance. Cardio and weight training are both important to me. I admit cardio gets harder as I age. My height shrunk over an inch too :rolleyes:

Currently I'm 5ft 9.5in and a little heavy at 170lbs. But I can do 10-12 pull-ups and bench press 185-95lbs at age 71.

Roger
I re read this thread with interest and especially your post. Much respect. Fast forward a few years and both my knees are shot and I have to go a little slower. Have to figure out how to do a bit of cardio with two shot knees. Sadly I'm only 51. Gained 10# in six months and at 5"10 240. Need to loose 40#'s. :(

Weights have gone through the roof lately and I was luck to kinda score a pair of powerblocks 50 lbs (each) for $270. Expandable to 90lbs. I'll never lift 90. Lol. I'm waiting for covid to be over maybe by 2023 for sure and prices to fall back to earth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_213214094_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210409_213214094_HDR.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4
I re read this thread with interest and especially your post. Much respect. Fast forward a few years and both my knees are shot and I have to go a little slower. Have to figure out how to do a bit of cardio with two shot knees. Sadly I'm only 51. Gained 10# in six months and at 5"10 240. Need to loose 40#'s. :(

A lot has changed since that post, mostly Covid, my age, and knee :)
In May of 2020 I purchased a bike after Covid closed the gyms. Biking is much less stressful on my knee and 2-3 hours of biking (30+ miles) 3-4 days a week provides a much better cardio workout. I recently returned to the gym but it's going to take a while to rebuild strength. Frankly I'm having difficulty figuring out a balance between biking and weights. Biking is more fun, especially in good weather. But to regain my strength requires hitting the gym at least 3 times a week. I need to find a compromise because I can't do both :dunno:

A lot has changed since that post, mostly Covid, my age, and knee :)
In May of 2020 I purchased a bike after Covid closed the gyms. Biking is much less stressful on my knee and 2-3 hours of biking (30+ miles) 3-4 days a week provides a much better cardio workout. I recently returned to the gym but it's going to take a while to rebuild strength. Frankly I'm having difficulty figuring out a balance between biking and weights. Biking is more fun, especially in good weather. But to regain my strength requires hitting the gym at least 3 times a week. I need to find a compromise because I can't do both :dunno:
I do 30 min of cardio on the bike. Heart rate up to 130 or so. After that, one hour of weights. I do this 3-4x a week. I find that for me, its a good mix. I prefer the weights to biking. Either way, ear buds and streaming is a must. I also generally do . 20-30 min cool down at the end shooting baskets on the court. My 3pt shot is coming around.

Back
Top Bottom