Steely Dan Nightfly TT on cover

I'm thinking that too - a fairly modern Hi-Fi (not broadcast) turntable that they added some 1950s style toggle switches to the plinth. It's just too small to be a credible radio station turntable.

Not really sure but all the Broadcast Transcription tables of the Era have plinths 8-12" thick or built like a dorm fridge. The picture really looks like you said with the toggle switches, more like a Rek o kut. I'm interested in the 16" transcription table with the vintage Gray 108 or 208

Pretty sure that TT is the real deal...however I can't identify it. But...I HAVE seen similar TTs in "vintage" stations that I've had the opportunity to visit/maintain/repair. Period-correct would mean a GE VR2 doing the tracking duties.

First station I worked at was built right out of the Gates catalog back in '55. You could build an AM station complete with tower (and maybe even the record library) just by ordering all the gear from Gates. Our setup was the Gates desk with 2 16" TTs, Gray arms w/VR2s, a Gatesway console, Sta-Level, LevelDevil and a BC-1J transmitter with a BC-250GY as backup. After a year or so of grinding records, I was able to convince the owner to pop for a pair of Shure M-236 arms & Stanton 500s. BIG difference! Then I was able to talk him into a new Gates limiter...capable of 125% positive peak modulation. Messed with that after midnight one night and ended up blowing the plate cap right out of one of the 833 modulator tubes.

And, how things have changed: Right now I'm sitting in front of a Radio Systems "Millenium" console with a wide-screen monitor perched above it...not a TT in sight. Everything's on a hard drive with a proprietary program running on an Apple and feeding a big Collins delivering 100kW ERP.

And..."The Nightfly"? One of the truly all-time great albums. A pristine copy is a fantastic listen.

Last edited:
Ahh,having a smoke in the control room; those were the days:)

You'd get shot (or worse!) for doing that now....
.....and pillored like a leper on social media! It seems we are on this earth to judged by others and nothing else these days:mad: :smoke::beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom