Step One In A Grand Experiment

I would have liked it to be silver also, as that is how I remember the arm first being offered. They still make the V in silver dont they? But black is fine too, and perhaps it aesthetically matches more tables. But a great deal of my system is turning out to be silver, so that version of the arm would have matched everything. Oh well, I am just grateful to come across a new SME at this price. Its like shopping for a used car, it doesnt have to be a color you love, just one you don't hate.

Cheers
Mister Pig
The new table I'm building is all silver so I don't thing black would fit in but I would have bought one for the money you paid for yours. :thumbsup:

Well I finally got the tracking information on my package. It seems the seller shipped it out a few days later than he said, but its coming FED EX Super Saver. The SME V is slated to deliver on Saturday. So perhaps this weekend I will have the Sota Star Sapphire up and running for another round of evaluations. While the Sota may or may not be a keeper, the SME V should be here a good long while. I don't see myself needing a better arm than the V.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Well I finally got the tracking information on my package. It seems the seller shipped it out a few days later than he said, but its coming FED EX Super Saver. The SME V is slated to deliver on Saturday. So perhaps this weekend I will have the Sota Star Sapphire up and running for another round of evaluations. While the Sota may or may not be a keeper, the SME V should be here a good long while. I don't see myself needing a better arm than the V.

Cheers
Mister Pig
Soon then, very soon!

Ok sometimes things just happen on the farm. A swine sympathizer sent me a note through the AK system about a SME V that just popped up on Audiogon. So I made an executive decision and snapped up a 2 year old black V for the table. Its paid for, and now I got to see how things work out.

Cheers
Mister Pig

How did I miss that? I've been watching Audiogon for the last 2 months for a V! I did find a IV.Vi though, in near mint condition, included with a Sapphire, and went ahead and snagged it for a really good price. The table needs some work but it has been upgraded to the latest platter and bearing design, along with new springs. The right front leg was broken upon arrival, but that is an easy fix. At the price I talked the seller down to, I could not pass it up.

How did I miss that? I've been watching Audiogon for the last 2 months for a V! I did find a IV.Vi though, in near mint condition, included with a Sapphire, and went ahead and snagged it for a really good price. The table needs some work but it has been upgraded to the latest platter and bearing design, along with new springs. The right front leg was broken upon arrival, but that is an easy fix. At the price I talked the seller down to, I could not pass it up.

This is the one I bought. I suppose I am extrapolating and wishing that it is a V.vi as it is reported to be bought two years ago. I suppose it could be an old stock of a previous generation that was never sold until then. But I think that would be an unlikely event, so I am going with this being a vi.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-sme-v-tonearm-obm-tonearms?show_listing=true

I was a fortunate pig as an Aker sent me an alert, and I think this arm was up only for a matter of hours.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Wonder what I want for clearance then. Would a MM be enough, so drill it to 17 mm?

Thoughts before I get around to ordering? I imagine this is going to take awhile, wish I had a better solution.

Cheers
Mister Pig
The price is good, I have a milling machine and a lathe. The sleeve is not hard to do even without my equipment. Buy or beg an off cut of pipe, I for example use 1mm thick tube to make bipods the old stuff I used was 1.6mm. You need a similar piece with a few mm cut out of it and slide it in as a sleeve.
Chris

This is the one I bought. I suppose I am extrapolating and wishing that it is a V.vi as it is reported to be bought two years ago. I suppose it could be an old stock of a previous generation that was never sold until then. But I think that would be an unlikely event, so I am going with this being a vi.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-sme-v-tonearm-obm-tonearms?show_listing=true

I was a fortunate pig as an Aker sent me an alert, and I think this arm was up only for a matter of hours.

Cheers
Mister Pig
Well, it was a nice catch that you made! That arm looks great! Looks to me like a true V, not a IV.Vi, which is what I have. I don't think they ever made a V.Vi. The IV.Vi has the V bearings, damping well, and magnan wiring, but with the IV's VTF control (no side dial). I hope yours was more than I could afford! :)

Well, it was a nice catch that you made! That arm looks great! Looks to me like a true V, not a IV.Vi, which is what I have. I don't think they ever made a V.Vi. The IV.Vi has the V bearings, damping well, and magnan wiring, but with the IV's VTF control (no side dial). I hope yours was more than I could afford! :)

$2k

I need a set of M3 bolts that are a few MM longer than the ones I have. Which is odd, as the arm board I have was cut for and had a SME 309 mounted to it. The V I have seems to have a minutely thicker arm base as I cannot get the bolts to catch a thread. The holes are tapped at the bottom, in the aluminum plate portion of the arm board.

I stopped off at my local ACE Hardware store as they have a large selection, but they only had the same length of Allen head M3 bolts. Then I stopped off at Home Depot after work one day, and they did not have any longer ones either. My next stop will be a hobby shop that does RC cars, planes, and what not. They might have the longer length I need.

So that is where it sits at the moment, perhaps it can be resolved this weekend.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
The cue works great you'll never use the finger lift.

I know, really

Hey I haven't had a hair cut in 18 years, total wast of time.
Ok I get it lol , was just wondering if he was serious , we all know Mister Pig likes to savor his gear like fine wine before taking a sip .

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom