Step One In A Grand Experiment

OK last night I was considering replacing the factory tone arm cable with an Analysis Plus Silver Apex I have on hand that I use on the Acos tone arm. There is info out on the web that a contingent of owners think the stock VDH cable is not quite up to snuff, so I wanted to see what is possible. Unfortunately it was not to be, as the AP cable is a straight DINN plug and it will not fit on the SME arm in the Sota sub-chassis.

However, through this process I spent more time tweaking VTA after I put the arm board back in place. I ended up getting the best position so far for the Ortofon Blue. It minimized the degree of romantic presentation I had previously, and sharpened the focus of the instruments. I had a morning listening session that confirmed this. So things are progressing along, and am slowly getting this table dialed in.

The sound is good with this mid-tier Ortofon. I am considering moving the ZYX 4D off my Technics/Riggle combo and seeing what it can do on this table. This is not something that has occurred before, as the ZYX has basically lived its whole life on that arm, and only on two tables, my Galibier Audio Serac and the Technics SP 10 MK II.

The plan is to own two tables, as that is what the phono stage can accept. I am playing out the odd man out scenario in my head, and cannot come to grips with letting the SP 10 MK II go. So that would likely mean the Denon, however, I am very satisfied with the sound quality of that one also. These are difficult days to be a pig.

Now if i did let the SP 10 go, and I found a new home for the Star Sapphire....that means there would be the funds available for a refurbished Sota Nova in cherry wood that is on Ebay at the moment. So very very tempting.

Cheers
Mister Pig
I guess there could be worse quandaries to find oneself in, though I can sympathize. I've been in the same position with regard to violins and had to make a hard decision. I'm not going to say that a twinge of regret and memory won't appear in future, either. We just can't keep everything that comes to us, though!

So I needed s new belt for this table, and I ordered one last weekend. It showed up today and I got it installed. I almost wonder if belt sizes have changed as this one seems a bit snug.

But the speed pot comes close to centering, but its not at the 0 setting. But the end result is it comes up to speed reasonably quick and holds speed.

But just a tick under $40. Which seems a bit pricey for a belt. Just a saying.

Cheers
Mister Pig

So I needed s new belt for this table, and I ordered one last weekend. It showed up today and I got it installed. I almost wonder if belt sizes have changed as this one seems a bit snug.

But the speed pot comes close to centering, but its not at the 0 setting. But the end result is it comes up to speed reasonably quick and holds speed.

But just a tick under $40. Which seems a bit pricey for a belt. Just a saying.

Cheers
Mister Pig
The saying is "You want to play you have to pay". :)

I know John you would like to sell some things and try newer better just off your short time IMHO with this table.

Personally I never sell anything to fast, when I compare things side by side and over weeks, yes something wins and stays in the system. However I have also tried things that where once pulled and parked away, and wonder why I stopped using it.

How we feel and listen is always changing, this happens over week, months and years. I personally think this is why we are always searching for better. One month we found nirvana and used it for months and years. However we acclimated to it, it's normalized and doesn't have the same spark anymore.

Kinda like meeting the girl of your dreams when you where young, your heart would jump at the sound of her voice or name at the beginning. Give it a year and all that pitter patter and pangs are gone, she's just a girl. There really is lots of girls in the world, many will bring back that feeling again and again, as long as we keep changing them out:D

Can you tell I'm single ;)

Yes and it's starting to sound Lovely. But to be fare I just added a new Musical Fidelity phono stage also a couple of SVS Sub's and room treatments. Where getting there. :rockon:

How does it compare to your other tables? I know its hard to say cause of different arms and cartridges. But I guess I am asking as a complete package, does it keep pace with the other tables overall performance wise?

With tables so high up on the tier I would imagine comparisons will be difficult as they will most likely sound more alike than different.

Using a different cartridge and/or tonearm would probably make the differences more readily apparent.

How does it compare to your other tables? I know its hard to say cause of different arms and cartridges.But I guess I am asking as a complete package, does it keep pace with the other tables overall performance wise?
How does it compare to your other tables? I know its hard to say cause of different arms and cartridges. But I guess I am asking as a complete package, does it keep pace with the other tables overall performance wise?
Yes totally different tables. Like comparing apples to banana's. But the way it stands now Thor is in second place. The G just doe's everything right if you can get pass the look of it. ;)

Yes totally different tables. Like comparing apples to banana's. But the way it stands now Thor is in second place. The G just doe's everything right if you can get pass the look of it. ;)
It would be interesting to do an arm switch and see how it goes, though!

It would be interesting to do an arm switch and see how it goes, though!
If it was a 12" arm it would be a piece of cake to install on Thor. But it would be lots of work to modify Thor to take a 9" arm. Maybe if I run out of stuff to do I will try it.

If it was a 12" arm it would be a piece of cake to install on Thor. But it would be lots of work to modify Thor to take a 9" arm. Maybe if I run out of stuff to do I will try it.
Understood. I would just be curious as to how much of what you're hearing is that lovely SME you've got on the Technics.

That is interesting, I felt that way about my SP 10 MK II versus several other tables also.

However, the Sota is perhaps superior in some respects, and does not seem to give anything up in any category. I am not sure what to make of it. Actually I like all 3 of these tables for various reasons, although my intent is to keep only 2. Yet I cannot decide which should be the odd table out. Analysis paralysis of the highest order.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom