Stereo for the bedroom

judsonw

I am still fairly new here and was waiting until I got a few more components before posting this. This is the current set up in my room:
set up.jpg
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Red cartridge to Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2. From there it can either go to an old Antique Sound Lab AQ-1003 (previous owner rolled the stock tubes for Prima Luna EL34s and JJ ECC82s) or a Schiit Valhalla 2 (with stock tubes). Vahalla 2 goes to Sennheiser HD600s. The ASL goes to the ugly things below that my friend and its former owner built.

speakers.jpg

They are 8 ohm Voigt pipe style speakers. They sound all right, and this is a small room so there is not a lot of space to fill. I will eventually swap them out. In the back left, you can see the first and second attempt at Voigt pipe speakers that he made and gave me.

One downside is that it definitely heats up the room. I will also probably go to the thrift store or hardware store to either get end tables or shelves to gt the preamp a little further from the turntable (though it does not seem to put out nearly the amount of heat that the amps do) and reclaim an end table since I no longer have a place to put drinks while in bed.

Next project is to fix a Denon DP-300F whose left channel died. In a year or two I may try rolling tubes. I need to let my pocket book recover a bit first.

I wish that my wife would let me have a setup like that in our bedroom.

Not all of us have wives to contend with when it comes to how to use space in the bedroom. That being said, she she ever gets cold in the winter, you could bring up the multi-utility of a Class A Tube Amp. I like to call mine my musical space heater.

For years we used a Nakamichi System One for our alarm clock...

Ah the good old days....

I had to look up the Nakamichi System One and I must say, that would definitely be an impressive alarm clock. That brings up one small issue I have with my current set up. I cannot simply doze off while listening; the TT does not auto-stop when it gets to the end of the album, so it would continue to spin on the run out track and the preamp and amp would continue to run. Oh well.

I cannot simply doze off while listening; the TT does not auto-stop when it gets to the end of the album, so it would continue to spin on the run out track and the preamp and amp would continue to run. Oh well.

There used used to be end of record arm manual lifters.

There used used to be end of record arm manual lifters.

There still are, but I am not sure there is room for one on this turn table. However, that and maybe a timer to cut off power at a certain point might work. However, it is not that big of an issue right now.

Very nice. I have a stack of stuff next to my side of the bed too (no TT, tho). Bedroom doubles as my WFH office. I have a tube receiver and tube amp; in the summer I switch to a SS device.

Thanks everyone. I got new speakers this evening, but since I live in an apartment, will be waiting until morning to set them up and test them. I will post pictures then and their story.

Here we have the new speakers in front of the old.

new speakers.jpg

The old were voigt pipe speakers that my friend built that were pretty good. The ones in front are Hsu HB-1s that I got from my dad on really classy speaker stands that only look like beat up, second hand folding chairs. My dad is also an audiophile, and by virtue of having lived and thus worked and saved longer than me, he has a bit bigger of a budget for audio things. As such, I occasionally get the hand me downs, which is what these speakers are.

Fun story, he had been thinking of getting new speakers, but when I visited with my preamp, headphone amp, and Sennheiser HD600s and connected them to his system (using the two outputs of the preamp to easily switch between his Marantz and my Schiit) he noticed things on the Sennheisers that he did not hear on the speakers. I like to think that pushed him a little more over the edge and that briefly I had some better equipment than him. His new speakers though (Martin Logans) sound amazing.

Thanks! I am quite happy with how it has progressed this year. I think I am content with it until it comes time to start upgrading things.

Nice little setup, I use a Mac4100 and Tektons..would love to do tubes but I fall asleep to whatever is playing and I wouldnt want the tubes burning away all night..maybe in the winter.
I like the ASL amp, have had a few of their pieces and they always were satisfying.
:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom