Stereo Rehab experiences

He sent me an email and apologized. Said he would pull the units out and get them done.
So we'll see how it goes from here. I wish there was some way of knowing where you are in the "queue". Oh well, as long as they are done right and the cost is reasonable, I should be happy with that.

Herb, he just did my Fisher 400 in December and he did a great job. Trust me, its worth the wait.

Hi everyone,
Casper at stereo rehab is knowlegeable, efficient, and repair prices are fair. Usually pleasant and upbeat. Catch him on a bad day.....whew, best to go back some other weekend.
I am trying to see if anyone had any experience with Stereo Rehab in Chicago?
http://www.stereorehab.com/page_1.html
I am looking for a trustworthy tech. Have had bad experiences in the past and now am trying to be careful.

Thank you.

I'll be taking him another Marantz amp this week. It's supposed to be restored already....but I've been down that road before. Who knows what the previous owner did? Casper will.....and he'll make it right.

I just bought it and should be getting it in a couple days......not even gonna plug it in.....taking it right to Casper.

I had a Marantz Model 30 that was rebuilt by another tech.....and it worked well temporarily....but then all hell broke loose and I thought it fried my speakers. Won't be dealing with that guy ever again......

Update: I advise going against here simply for the fact that the turnaround time is nowhere near initially promised and there is no communication while your products wait in queue. Long story short, I had something sit there for two months after an initial projection of 3 weeks. No response to emails or phone calls until I went to the shop and told him I would go elsewhere. Avoid unless you can wait at least 2 months without wanting to know what is happening with your order.

Last edited:
TWO months!!! I have had great experience with Casper in the past. HOWEVER, I dropped off my Marantz 500 in March of 17. yes going on 2 years! About 6 months I stopped getting any response back on the queue progress when I emailed.

TWO months!!! I have had great experience with Casper in the past. HOWEVER, I dropped off my Marantz 500 in March of 17. yes going on 2 years! About 6 months I stopped getting any response back on the queue progress when I emailed.

At this point, pay him a visit. After I took my table back and he FINALLY decided to respond to emails, he said he's going to amend the process going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again. I bet your Marantz is tucked away on a shelf in the shop someplace and he just forgot about it. He offered "expedited" service if I were ever to return, but that is definitely not going to be the case. Not to mention he is incredibly condescending for no reason. If you can't finish the job in an ample time frame, be up front about it or provide a better time to bring it back. Don't leave people hanging. I'm sure he's good, but he's not worth this kind of wasted time.

The parts I left out of the initial review include him berating me for going to the shop and asking about progress. "You don't get special treatment, I don't know what you think this is. We are a small shop and we complete orders as they come in. I will get to yours when I get to it." "I'm asking when you're going to get to it, and I have been for quite some time now. No response from you, and you don't answer the phone." "The phone isn't there for calls. It's there for general information about the shop like location and hours." Guy is clearly overwhelmed and completely changed his tune when I took the table back. Only then did the "I'm sorry" emails start.

I would definitely recommend working with Casper at Stereo Rehab (stereorehab.com) in Chicago. He just serviced my Fisher X-100b and the guy is on another level. His work was very thorough and he took the time to explain each step along the way. Being a newbie I was a bit nervous going in but he made the entire experience a lot of fun and I learned a lot. If you are in the midwest I would definitely recommend giving him a call for any service or restoration projects.

I only met Casper once and we had a nice chat in his shop while he was taking a lunch break. He briefly tore into an amp section from my BGW pro amp, handed me the board and said it's not worth fixing while offering to give me the parts free if I wanted to attempt it myself. I enjoyed our time together and when it's time for me to have my Fisher 400 professionally gone over he will be the guy.

Being a small shop service guy myself I know how sometimes customer's projects get put on the back burner. I sometimes tell my people to call me in a week or two if I haven't yet called to schedule the work with them.....just in case.

Back
Top Bottom