Stereo Review

David_NC

Back in day, Stereo Review was one of my favorite magazines. For an early teen, the articles and reviews were easily understandable, and I'd read each issue cover to cover. Recently, when sorting through stuff, I found a box of issues from the '80's and '90's and had a couple nostalgic hours looking over them. Sadly, I couldn't really see any reason to ship these across the US.
Today, when looking up a pair of ADS L780/2's that I purchased a few months back, a review in the Oct 1986 issue was mentioned. A quick search found an archive of Stereo Review issues from 1958 to 1998. I've not seen this mentioned here, but for those who want it, I thought I'd share the link: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

Ahhhh, Stereo Review. Where every tested sample always measured so nicely by Julian Hirsch.

I’m staring right now at an issue from 1973 on one of our end tables.

Thanks for the link.

My favourite stereo magazine, way way back in the day...
Read my first King Crimson record review ITCOTCK there which prompted me to buy it on the strength of that review...
Yeah I miss it...and those years...

Boy, those were the days.

I'd always flip to the cartoons by Charles Rodriguez first and then hit the more serious stuff. I was finished with the entire magazine in about 2 days.

Did anybody else ever notice that Hirsch never and I mean never gave a piece of equipment a negative review. :rflmao:

Last edited:
I learned quite a bit from Julian Hirsch. Mostly about not how components actually sound. One of his favorites, the AR-LST was a toad. I purchased the AR Integrated Amp based upon his review. It sucked.

Frank Van Alstine commented on visiting his garage/listening room:

"I visited Julian Hirsch years ago. His listening room was one of the worst i have ever experienced. It was a two car attached garage converted to a workshop full of steel tables and racks, hard floor, hard walls, and it sounded like a grade school lunch room. He was comparing big B&W and big KEF speakers at the time ,and we tried both our amplifier and another (I foreget what) on the speakers. Of course, in that enviornment, nobody could hear any meaningful differences at all.

All amps sound the same, true at Julian's place."

Sheesh, I have a lot of catch up reading to do
Are you new here? The link to the site where audio and high fidelity magazine has been posted numerous times. I guess the inclusion of stereo review is new and I've been waiting for that, too.

You do see some in TAS and Stereophile.
Class D in the post means amplifier operation mode, not sound quality classification.

I liked the Stereophile month they reviewed the new high end class D amp ($58,000/pr monoblocks) and spewed the same eloquent love for the entire review they have for most gear until the last paragraph saying it still sounds class D. Then they did the same with a bit fewer superlatives for the 1 rack unit pro type class D monoblocks in the same issue.

I learned quite a bit from Julian Hirsch. Mostly about not how components actually sound. One of his favorites, the AR-LST was a toad. I purchased the AR Integrated Amp based upon his review. It sucked.

Frank Van Alstine commented on visiting his garage/listening room:

"I visited Julian Hirsch years ago. His listening room was one of the worst i have ever experienced. It was a two car attached garage converted to a workshop full of steel tables and racks, hard floor, hard walls, and it sounded like a grade school lunch room. He was comparing big B&W and big KEF speakers at the time ,and we tried both our amplifier and another (I foreget what) on the speakers. Of course, in that enviornment, nobody could hear any meaningful differences at all.

All amps sound the same, true at Julian's place."
I knew it was only a matter of time before the Hirsh bashing started. So he did his reviews in a garage the whole time he was at Stereo Review and never upgraded his listening space?

Sound and Vision, the modern version of SR is still a good magazine. It's expanded to cover the current range of consumer electronics and generally keeps to the affordable products that Joe Sixpack might be able to afford. My only issue with them is that they are down to seven issues a year and compared to Stereophile, it's subscription is quite expensive.

Back
Top Bottom